What's new

Yamaha theatre amp using zone 2 amp (1 Viewer)

liaisonleigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Leigh
Hi all, I'm after a bit of a tech answer on using my main theatre amp and a zone 2 amp for a simplemain left right setup. The main theatre amp is a Yamaha Rxv-1073 (7.2)(capable zone 2 situation), the zone 2 amp hopefully would be a Harmon Kardon 2ch amp (model just now?, can provide) (had it for years, dedicated stereo only, great amp by the way). The part that is a little blank to me is mainly as follows, in the Yamaha manual, it states using an external amp (or zone 2 amp) as one that has a volume bypass (or no volume control circuit). The external amp I want to use doesn't have volume bypass, it's an 'old fashioned' dial volume, basic err dotted display (low resolution), can give more details... What is unsure to me is with Yamaha amp hooked up with external amp, although I understand the setup part, what would be the affects of connecting these two amps...? The way I'm thinking is if external amp is set on a reasonable volume, will the main amp be destructive in any way, or visa versa...Any technical help would be appreciated, happy to provide any other details...Thanks in advance, look forward to feedback

liaisonleigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Leigh
Thanks for the quick reply schan1269, appreciate it. So as I'm to understand then, with the proper cable setup etc. How is the volume of the zone 2 speakers best controlled accurately...? At what level does main amp (sending via zone 2) send audio via pre amp to external amp (hope I've got that right or it makes sense). I could guess its line level so fully controlled by external amp, although I think I may be wrong.There's a result I'm working towards, appreciate your understanding.

liaisonleigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Leigh
Oh your first reply just hit home, sitting here having a bit of red wine, I think I've got the idea. If you could confirm my thoughts above that would be great...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have two volume controls. Plain and simple.

Same, exactly the same, concept as a gain knob on a subwoofer, absolutely zero, at all, difference.

liaisonleigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Leigh
Thanks schan1269, that makes perfect sense. Appreciate the help! :)I spose I had a doubt/fear with connecting two amps together...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You aren't connecting "two amps together". You are connecting the 1073 as a pre-amp. And the amp you are using also has volume control.

Neither "volume control" is going to be more accurate than the other one. Which one you use, will depend in which one you want to use. And, if this HK has pre out/in...remove the jumpers and remove some confusion.

liaisonleigh

Auditioning
Real Name
Leigh
Ok then, I feel (aslong as there is norisk if done right) that when I hook it up. Once I play around with volume a bit it will all become clear (haven't played with pre-amp much as you can tell). Thankyou for your "" corrections, you are right!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks