What's new

Yamaha rxv 1400 ypao (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I do not have a Yamaha receiver. I just have the manual and know a few people with them. I have not used that feature personally. I am just helping with what I can from what I know of them. That said. The auto feature uses the PEQ and not the GEQ. From what the GEQ is I would not use it unless absolutely necessary, this is from my knowledge and use of both parametric and graphic equalizers over the years. From the speakers you have I would try either flat or skip with the auto PEQ. If you do decide to use the GEQ you will need to map your frequencies with your SPL meter and sine sweeps. From that you can calculate what you should boost or cut, then do it again, until it is relatively flat. From there you can boost or cut to your taste. A note, do not over boost frequencies, if you have many band boosted, drop them back to 0 or close to that, drop all the frequencies by the same amount, then go back and chart your room again. It is a long process. Due to the limitation of the GEQ of that receiver, I personally would not use the GEQ. That is a general idea on what is involved if you so choose that route. I would try the auto calibration. From what I have heard from others, it does work fairly well. I hope this helps some. Good luck with the calibration. I will continue to help with what I can.

David Judah

Screenwriter
You are probably getting some bass reinforcement close to 80 Hz which makes it sound fuller initially because it's overpowering everything else, but upon closer listening(or measuring)you are probably getting some cancellations somewhere as well.

It would be better to set the speakers to small for the reasons Chuck mentioned. It might not be readily apparent at lower levels or for music that doesn't have alot of LF content, but with a big bass transient from a DVD it should become obvious.

DJ

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
guys I just want to know in the ypao function that what is usually the best setting flat,low,high,fronts. Which one should i try . What does low do and flat do . for a 15x12 room with a 12 foot vaulted ceiling which one should be better.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I just ran the ypao function but theres flat,front,low,medium,high Which one of these do you think will work best I have Paradigm Mini Monitors,cc370 center and atoms for rears I have a 15x12 room with 11-12 foot ceilings a tad bright if you know what i mean. What settign would give me a more natural,full sound.. Can anyone help what settign should i not do..

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
is it better to go to the eq settign manually and leave all the readings at 0. I just want it to sound the best and now im paranoid because i ran the ypao in flat setting and i dotn know if it sounded better before. I think low perhaps sounds a bit better i just want for soem of you to explain to me what each setting really means and perhaps which one is the best for me. Also is the default settign better and if so how do i go back to it.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
i did the ypao test and it went so loud it blew my center what the hell i just bought all this 3 days ago will they return my speakers for me

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
did the ypao test and it went so loud it blew my center what the hell i just bought all this 3 days ago will they return my speakers for me. Shoudl i tell them that when i connected the center sounded very horrible and flat. WOudl you take all 5 speakers back and see if they return them for all new ones..

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I know nothing of the ypao feature but I think it is more user error than product error. The reason I say this is from the amount of posts and questions you have been asking. A lot of these things should be shown to you from the dealer who sold it to you. Did you ask him how to use the function? Someone showing you and us trying to explain it to you on a post is not going to give you as good an explanation. I am not trying to put salt in the wounds believe me...I know how frustrated you are. It may be a a speaker problem. Those speakers should not be cranked though when you first get them. They need to broken in a bit. I would call the dealer and tell him about what happened. The speakers have a waranty so you should be fine. Ask HIM to show you how to use the function. Have hime walk you through it. If he did all of this and I am wasting my breath than you can pin the blame on him :). Good luck

Scott_Lip

Agent
Eddy-

I have a new 2400, performed the YPOA, and my center sounds flat as well. I wonder id it's the EQ settings, as opposed to a blown speaker?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I don't own a Yamaha with YPAO at this point. Do you have any control on how loud the test tones play? If so, then you may have had it too loud. If not (and I suspect that you don't have final control), and the receiver is running the tones at the spec'd volume, then you may just have a defective speaker.

From what you're saying, the others are likely ok. An easy way to tell is to temporarily swap a good one for the bad one and give things a test listening session. Just to be sure, test them all (and make sure to test that center channel output so that you know the receiver's not the culprit.)

I do agree that the dealer should give you some help here. At least until you have some comfort level with how the YPAO does what it does...

Respectfully Evan, I disagree on the break-in thought. IMO, unless speakers are overdriven by too much power or by clipping distortion, they either work for a very long time, or, they fail when fairly new, due to not meeting manufacturing specs. Since the most common reason for "non-defective" speakers dying is overheated voice wiring, I know of no reason why playing them easier at the beginning of their life would make them more tolerant of higher volume later on. I know that some believe that a break-in process improves a speaker's sound. That may or may not be true. Either way, that would not give voice coil wiring a better ability to dissipate heat...

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
well i just checked all my speakers and there ok other than the center when i run the test the center does not even do the whippign noise it does a low thump and the ypao gives me a error trust me guy i heard it blow. The thing is that i had my speakers through a spl meter i had them set at a high decibal and since yamaha runs this test so loud it actually blew my center the test tones were so loud i was liek oh my god its going to blow. DO you think the dealer will return my center since its only 3 days old . I can tell them that when i connected it it sounded dull and flat. I bought the receiver elsewhere actually. If you look in the avs forums about the 2400 topic thats going on someone that has paradigm speakers also blew a speaker with tese test tones. So it could be a paradigm thing with there sensitve tweeters. The center which is the cc370 seems to be louder decibally that my mains and very sensitive so it probaly blew it.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Chuck, you bring up a good point about the voice coil. I never said that you should take it easy on the speakers when you listen to them. I did say that they should not be cranked however. I have read several instances where people "cranked" their speakers out of the box with a lot of those test tones and have blown a speaker. In fact I can remember a pretty interesting thread on this forum about a month ago about the same topic. When I say crank, I mean the receiver is played about as high as it can go which is where a lot of clipping on recievers tend to occurr.
I personaly never play new speakers loud when I first get them. That is not to say that they can't or if you do than you are wrong, I just feel more comfortable that way. I don't want to become the fool who buys a speaker, looks at my buddy and says...."Dude, check out how loud this thing cranks" and then little by little for the next few months my speakers sound more and more like crap :). I tend to be overly protective of any new gear when I get it. Sometimes annoyingly so. But I can also boast that I have speakers that are over 15 years old that sound as good as when I first got them, and the receiver that was purchased with them is still as good as ever. Maybe this is common but if it works for me then it is right for me :).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Eddy, you have started at least six separate threads about the Yamaha 1400 in as many days, in addition to various threads in other forums. I have combined most of your threads here and closed the others. Please continue all discussions concerning your receiver in this thread, and do not start new ones. Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
If the speaker is only 3 days old, the dealer should absolutely stand behind it. As I mentioned earlier, as long as they're not abused, speakers tend to either last forever or if there is a defect in them, they go bad very soon in their life...

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
well the guy looked and open the speaker and he said that the tweeter opend up which is a defect from Paradigm. Even though the test tones were so loud that i was like oh i blew the center. anyways I finished completion of the ypao and i tried it with the low setting and for soem odd reason now my system sounds on the bright side. I wonder if there is a warmer setting. Is the default setting flat. I could try flat but my mains and center are equal and my rears are a little bit lesser quality. Is there away to go back to the defualt settings. The default settings are not the geq setting which is 0 all across the board in the 7 bad section correct. is te defualt setting flat.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
I just need to try to warm up my sound as i feel the low dettign has made my sound to bright. I remember when i got my receiver 3 days ago with out the ypao it sounded great now i want to go back to that or a settign that is more on the warm side

BruceD

Screenwriter
Eddy,

As I mentioned before, YPAO has 2 basic operational modes, PEQ and GEQ (Parametric EQ and Graphical EQ).

You can't run both at the same time!!!!!

This means if you use the PEQ auto setup (low, flat, whatever), then GEQ can't be used (it will show 0).

If you manually adjust the GEQ, then you won't be using any of the automatic settings made in the PEQ mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks