What's new

Yamaha RX-463/HTR-6140 And Picture Quality (1 Viewer)

Blue62

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Hello all,

I’m putting together a modest, entry-level, budget-level HT which will reside in a room which is about 15 X 20. Because of the layout of the room I will be going the 5.1 route. That will not change in the foreseeable future.

I’m near to pulling the trigger on a Yamaha RX-V463 (HTR-6140). Spec-wise, it seems to have pretty much what I need, plus it is at the upper range of my budget price limit—currently on Amazon for 262.00 in the HTR-6140 version. My concern is that I’ve heard that there is a picture quality issue with the V463/6140 in that there seems to be a darkening/crushing effect which is puzzling because, as I understand it, this receiver is simply passing through the audio signal via HDMI without any processing. Has anyone heard of this before or experienced it?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Daniel

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

With the quality of upconverters, blue ray player and HD sat/cable sets, you should be able to use the AVR for mostly audio and let the video just pass through. If you have a decent monitor, it will handle the deinterlacing/upconversion for you. I hope this helps.

Hope this helps

Blue62

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks, I believe this does help. I do have a good upconverter and a decent monitor. My intention is to use a HDMI cable for both audio and video. If it simply passes through the video than it should be OK.

Thanks for the input.

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks