What's new

Yamaha question on hook up (1 Viewer)

Smoke1439

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick
Hi all I am new on here and hope I can get some questions answered. I have a Yamaha RX-A800 receiver Klipsch VF-35 front L/R, Klipsch SC-1 center and a pair of Fluance AVBP2 bipolar surround speakes,cheap JVC sub, all hooked up as a 5.1 for now. 1st question should the surrounds which I have placed on shelving about 12" down from ceiling about 16" off back wall so one speaker aims at an angle toward rear wall and the other toward center of room, should these be connected to inputs on receiver on the surround or surround back? 2nd question if familiar with Yamaha which is the best surround setting? (so many to choose from). last and thanks' for keeping with me. I did not get the mic kit to set up speakers with my receiver as it was out of box buy. should I invest in one of the mic's or is there another way to fine tune? thank' again. new guy

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
On my HK, the manual says to use the surround left and right for normal 5.1 and the surround back left and right for an additional 7.1 setup and are optional. Don't know if the Yamaha is the same way, though. I don't use the different surround modes on my 5.1 setup. I use stereo for two channel (i.e.,listening to normal cd's, radio, vinyl, tv, etc.-this is just my two main speakers and sub) and regular discrete digital for the 5.1 signals (dvd movie watching, or multichannel sacd or dvd-a music).
I normally do not use dolby II, dts neo, music hall or any of the other options available. But, that is just my listening preference. Try the different ones and see which, if any, you prefer, soundwise.
You can use an SPL meter (I bought mine at radio shack a few years back for $30-40.00-don't remember exactly how much) to tune your speakers without using the mic.
Frank

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The 4th and 5th speakers should be connected to the surround output. Yoo have them aimed incorrectly though, they should both be aimed in the same manner toward the center of the room.
Using the mic is the best option, and probably the cheapest too. If you use an SPL meter you'll also need a calibration disk, together they'll probably run $50-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks