What's new

Yamaha 3800, PS3, HDMI & Dolby TrueHD light? (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I have a New Yamaha Receiver RX-V3800 hooked up to a PS3 by HDMI. I was trying out the remastered Fifth Element Blu-ray with the Dolby TrueHD selected. Based on what I found in set-up searchs I set the PS3 to do Bitstream. But when the sound plays back the 3800 display only says Dolby and the Dolby TrueHD light still dark. Can anybody tell my what I am doing wrong? I thought the PS3 with the updates was supposed to output the TrueHD bitstream, correct?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Not that I've heard. With the player decoding, however, the only thing you're missing out on is the light. Granted, that light ain't cheap...

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Well I guess that is my problem. I thought I read somewhere that the bitstream was now working. But I have not be able to confirm it since.

Thanks

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, there are so many rumors of the PS3 just waiting for a firmware upgrade to enable it to work.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's my understanding that the hardware is simply not capable. Like much of the 1.3 standard, bitstream transmission is apparently an optional, not required, capability.

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
be sure to remember to switch your ps3 over to pcm to get the DTHD. If you keep it on the bitstream, you'll only be getting the d-digital as you've discovered.

james

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah James Thanks, Now like alot of other people after buying Silver Surfer today am hoping that Sony comes out with DTS Master support soon.

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
Its embarrassing that this once $600, state-of-the-art machine possesses neither bitstream output (like almost every component known to man at this point) or DTS-HD altogether. Now sony can enjoy the fruits of their labor and deal with the millions and millions of less-savvy consumers who are/will be bombarding every resource known to man (including this forum) as to why their $1000 receiver wont light up with a TRU-HD logo when HD material is present (a perfectly reasonable query, BTW). This is no slam on you orlando, as you seem at least as technologically competent as 99.7% of the populace.

While I'm certainly not a "techy", and do not necessarily know the cost or the difficulty of the implementation of this "technology", I still find it absurd that it was either passed by or overlooked altogether (much of what I've read from people in the know dispels the rumour that the ps3's hardware is incapable of either feature, btw) Now there are whisperings of a pre-christmas arrival of at least DTS-HD...that's funny, cause' the more time that passes without an update, the more I believe that it will never happen.
hold your breath and let me know how it works out if you're still alive.

james

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Can't answer your question, but how are you liking that Yamaha? I have the 3000 and was wanting to upgrade soon. Thanks.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I'm loving it so far. I only did a quick set-up but it sounds great. I'm still building the room that it is going into so I'm really busy with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks