What's new

Yamaha 2400 - split second dropouts during DVD? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a Yamaha 2400 last weekend. I noticed last night while watching LOTR: TT DTS, the sound "dropped out" for like 1/10 of a second. It was just like a quick stutter. Anyone else have this problem?

I am using a digital coax cable from my 4 year old Sony DVD player. It was not at a loud part of the movie so I am sure that the amps were not clipping (I was not watching at a very loud level anyway).

Any ideas? Would using an optical connection help? Thanks!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I had the same very short dropouts also using the DTS track on LOTR:TT........ but I have the Yam RX-V1 and Toshiba 4700 player......doesn't occur with DD sountrack......
A thread a couple of weeks ago seemed to point to some dvd players being the culprit....

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this has anything to do with the DVD disc itself? If there were any marks or imperfections on the disc, it might cause such dropouts.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
It could be a DVD - layer change. I would suspect the DVD player if the drop-out happens in the same spot everytime.

- Mike

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to say that it is not the layer change. I still have the layer change pause (about 1.5 seconds) and this is not that. In the full 2 disc LOTR:TT movie there were 2 layer change 1.5 second pauses and 3 of these split second pauses.

Mike.W

Auditioning
I have experienced this just this evening with the DTS-ES soundtrack on the FotR Extended Edition. It only happened on disc 2, and only on the 2nd layer. It happened only in a few quiet scenes and was not reproducible. I have a Pioneer VSX-D912K and a JVC XV-S60BK DVD player, connected via coax. Never happened with other DTS DVDs yet -- this is the only DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 DVD I've had though.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I had the same issue with my RX-V1400. I got a new dvd player and I am using optical now. Problem gone. I switched the player and the cable at the same time so I'm not sure what solved it but it doesn't happen anymore.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
MarkMel -

How long were the dropouts you had? The split second (just a quick stutter) like I had or were the dropouts longer (closer to a second)?

I just switched to an optical cable last night. I will see
how it works.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hmmm... check the bit rates on the DVD in the scenes that the drop-outs occure in. Possible the DVD player can't handle the throughput? This happens on my computer when I switch to DTS EX mode when watching movies, but seems to go away with normal 5.1 and especially 2 channel mixes. I suspect my sound card can't hack it, but now that I think of it, perhaps I should upgrade the cheapie cable I use.... This thread got me thinking!!!!

- Mike

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you don't have any post processing going on either in the DVD or the receiver. Turn off any "DNR", "Night mode", "3D mode" or other fake-surround effects, and all other post processing effects.

I had this problem with my old Onkyo receiver on DTS tracks if I used the "Cinema Re-EQ" feature. Turning that off fixed the problem (and gave me my treble back).

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2400 using the optic cable and have watched many DVD's. Never had a sound drop out at all other then the normal 1 during the layer change.

Have watch DD5.1, DD5.1/EX, DTS5.1, DTS5.1/ES

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks