What's new

Yamaha 1400 vs. H/K 7200 (1 Viewer)

CurtisC

Second Unit
EARL,I'm glad you are happy w/the 7200,it just wasn't meant to be for me.I still hate that such a great looking unit,build and all had to go.On the upside I got a Rotel 1068 yesterday and am now in a state of bliss.I can't stop listening to music,"JOY".I had hoped I was gonna get this bliss from the much better deal of the 7200,nope,just my luck to have to spend 2x as much.I had even put my 5ch amp up for sale thinking I won't need this w/7200,I'm glad I didn't sell it.Enjoy your 7200,if you like it it was a steal.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I strongly considered an amp for my 3802.
PS//I had to turn up the surrounds to +10 to be even with the fronts for 7 channel stereo in TV and CD modes. I wondered why I was not hearing a strong sound from my rear speakers in CD and TV mode. Big improvement in the sound.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis,

With 10 receivers in your past, you know good from bad, and it sounds like you may have a bad 7200 there. I have heard them described as warm, smooth, subtle, sometimes even muddy, but never heard shrill as being HKs signature sound, even with horns like Klipsch. If it was more shrill than your Denons, it may be sick.

I run my 7200 with Polks all around and just love the smooth full sound I get.

Dennis

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
When calibrating using Avia, I have the following settings:

FL +4
Center +4
FR +4
SR +6
SL +6
BR +5
BL +5

Pretty balanced overall, but the sides are smaller dipoles with smaller drivers than my front towers and rear bookshelves. I would strongly suggest that you use a spl meter to get accurate levels. I used to like to hear my surrounds alot when I got my first surround setup, but have since found that getting it setup correctly, allows me to hear dialogue better when volume naturally goes down in the film. You just can't get it set right by ear.

Donald Wong

Agent
Interesting configuration. Why not have the following instead and turn the volume up?

FL +0
Center +0
FR +0
SR +2
SL +2
BR +1
BL +1

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I had to set my surrounds and backs to +10 to be even with my fronts in 7 channel stereo for my cd player. I think that is a little strange. Does it make a difference if you select large versus small.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Your backs shouldn't be 10 db different from the fronts unless they are 2-3 times as far away or hidden. You may have the back speakers wired out of phase, or have a setting wrong in your setup. Set all crossovers and speaker sizes the same, until you get the balance adjusted.

What db settings do your fronts and center have? Are they similar type speakers or different brands or sensitivity?
Are you using a sub, or running full range? Setting a sub when there isn't on can cause issues.

Just trying to hit all the bases.

DG

Donald Wong

Agent

By 7 channel stereo, do you mean Logic7 mode? That may just be the result of the DSP algorithm. I don't think it outputs the same signal to all 7 channels. I think the front channels are still the "preferred" channels while the surrounds are for ambience.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Its 7 channel stereo mode in the setup menu. My speakers are JBL 28 and the fronts are Cerwin Vegas 315. I noticed the rear surrounds were way below the surrounds even at +10. I will try all large for speakers and re-adjust this weekend. My mains are 0 and my center is -2. HK suggested I do an ez setup.
PS/ have a sub and I have changed my set up to all large plus a 40HTZ crossover. I have not had a chance to do an official ez set upyet.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The HK reciever is a flagship reciever that in effect is not going to break the bank. It is well priced, well thought out, and the build quality is outstanding. I've heard the whole HK line and I love them all. I own the AVR-225 because I didn't need all the watts, the extra channels, zones, features, bla bla bla.

At this range though the HK AVR-7200 rips te Yamaha to shreds in terms of power, and the Logic7 is a very nice addition for the HK line-up. I use Logic7 alot more than Dolby PLII... Actually, I use it in replace of DPLII.

Go take a listen, see how you like everything, then choose. But for the price, the HK is a killer right now.

Mike Curtis

Auditioning
I have a couple of questions...

Does the 1400 sound "bright" with Paradigm speakers? I have Monitoe 3's up front with an infinity center and infinity rears. Someday they will all be paradigm. But i need a new received because my SR7000 is dead right now.

How well does the YPAO or EZset work on these receivers? The idea is appealing to me to make the system sound better. I never used an SPL to adjust my Marantz system.

Are either one of these receivers overkill for a home theater system that is mainly used for watching TV? My kids will watch a movie more often than I do.

Ben.T

Agent
1) Dolby Pro Logic IIx

ppl have stated the Yamaha 1400 has this but I can't find any reference other than straight Pro Logic II on the Yamaha site and in the manual (what about the 2400 ?)

2) Power

The H/K 7200 is rated 100x7 while the 1400 is 110x7. I read some ppl said the H/K has more power or is better power wise than the Yamaha. I just wonder what makes them say that. Granted if the H/K weights more, thus has a bigger power supply I might buy that arguement but just wanted to understand why ppl are saying that. (More Dynamic Power?)

Brad E

Second Unit
The 7200 is an outstanding reciever, no question about it.
Only beef I have with it is the remote.
Because if you use it to control anything else but the receiver, it will drive you nuts.
There is a timer that reverts all controls back to the reciever after around 5 seconds. So if you're flipping through the guide on the sattellite and happen to stop and take a look for 5 seconds, you will then have to push the Sat button again to switch the controls back to the sattellite. It drives me freakin crazy.
It's too bad because I really like the layout of the remote.
If anyone knows a way around this,please let me know.
So you will need to buy a universal remote unless you like using all the individual remotes.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Brad,

No way around the default setting on the remote, but I did set macro 1 to select cable, then up and macro 2 to select cable then down so I could move up or down through the channels with having to hit cable each time.

Not perfect, but much better for me,

Dennis

Donald Wong

Agent
My workaround was to toss it aside and use a real universal remote. My MX-500 works beautifully with it and other devices. I don't think I would be happy with any remote that comes with a device these days now that I've gotten used to the MX-500.

Users who are viewing this thread