1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

XM Roady

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Richard Gilmore, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Well-Known Member

XM is introducing a cheap way ($119.99)to get Satellite Radio - the Delphi XM Roady. [​IMG]

See the details here:
    http://www.xmradio.com/roady/

I wish I would have known about this before I bought my Delphi Skifi!

2. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Well-Known Member

Jason Merrick
    That is way cool! The only thing that is not addressed on that page is whether there is a line-out adapter. I refuse to use the FM modulator or cassette adapter. If it has a way to send a signal out through a cable, I will definitely buy this one!

I have XM in my Acura, but have been holding off on adding an account for my Expedition.

3. Lee L

Lee L Well-Known Member

Well, itr uses a cassette adapter and says that the SkyFi FM modulator kit can be used so I am assuming it has a 1/8" jack that could be used for a line out just like the SkyFi.

4. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this for sale yet? I had a friend say that he saw it advertised at Fry's in Houston for $50. I'm having trouble believing it and couldn't verify that. I haven't seen it in stores yet. I'm going to get one for my wife for her birthday this month. I have the SkiFi and love it, and she like it too. I'd hate to pay $120 if there is a cheaper price somewhere, but I haven't ever seen the SkiFi stuff at a cheaper than retail price. I've been hoping the boombox would drop below $100.

Thanks,
    Dennis

5. KurtW

KurtW Well-Known Member

I've seen and used it. The Skyfi unit is still MUCH better and more convenient. I don't like the fact that all the connections on the Roady are plugged into the unit, and not the cradle, making it a pain in the rear to take out. I also like the boom box and home options on the Skyfi unit.

But it's a good, cheap way to get into XM for your car.

6. David Broome

David Broome Well-Known Member

Circuit City is the only store to have them right now, based on all reports...

7. KurtW

KurtW Well-Known Member

Best Buy's had them for a week now.

8. David Broome

David Broome Well-Known Member

Then I guess I should say "based on OLD reports" :)

9. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Well-Known Member

Joshua Clinard
    I have read reports on this before, and based on the pictures I had seen, it didn't look all that much smaller than the AudioVox SRS. Based on that picture though, it does look smaller! Not a whole lot-mind you, but a little bit makes a big difference, so that's awesome. I wish Sirius had something that small. They do have a new Streamer coming out, and it looks like it may be a little smaller, but I'm not sure how small.

10. Dennis_H

I picked one up from Best Buy yesterday. It is about 2/3 the size of my SkiFi. I don't particularly like the little selector instead of the dial on the SkiFi, but it won't be used all that much. The other colors for the display should be nice. I never cared for the orange display on the SkiFi. Should be about perfect for my wife's van. I haven't installed it yet. It's a birthday present for my wife that I'll give her Monday. I did activate it and will install it this weekend since I'll have her van on a boy scout trip. It'll be a nice surprise when she gets it back. Whay little I have listened to it in my van sounded fine.

Dennis

11. Dennis_H

Well, I installed the roady and it sounds fine. I like the different color screens. I don't like that you lose a display line as compared to the SkiFi. You lose the station, artist, or song name. Depends on what display mode you choose. I can live with that. The main thing I don't like is that you can't block stations on this one like you can on the SkiFi. I have 4 kids, and realy don't want them turning on some explicit language station. On my SkiFi, I can let the kids play with changing the stations if they want. Other than that, it's a nice little radio.