What's new

XM-Ready Pioneer vs. Roady2 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
About a year back, I got a Pioneer DEH-P2500 (an XM-Ready CD head unit) for my Honda, fully intending to sign up with XM as soon as I had the spare cash. Well, it kinda slipped my mind--how, I don't know--and when I remembered, it was usually when I didn't have cash to spare. Well, now I do have the cash to spare, and after setting up my dad's Father's day present, a Roady2, I'm jonesin' for XM. This is where my dilemma occurs.

I have the XM-Ready Pioneer head unit in my car, but not a tuner/antenna/splitter combo. I can find combo deals with all three for ~$175 online, but only with the 8-character single-line tuners. eBay has some 16-character single-line tuners, but they're all $125 or more, and antennas and splitters are separate. Then there's the Roady2, which comes with everything except I'd have to use FM modulation instead of a direct connection, which is reduced fidelity.

So here are my choices:
1) 16-character single-line display tuner. Direct connection, but antenna/splitter extra--$200+
2) 8-character single-line display tuner. Direct connection, antenna/splitter included--$175.
3) XM Roady2 w/2-line display and unlimited(?) characters, everything included, but only FM modulation available--$125.

So, any opinion on which is the better these choices? Money is somewhat of an issue, but if there's a real difference in sound quality, I'd pay the premium. If the whole # of lines and character things is a real danger, that could also sway my vote as well.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
You know, Alpine makes an all-in-one unit now. The CDA-9820XM has all of the XM hardware built into it, except for the antenna of course. I just had one installed. It works fantastic and I love the fact that it's all-in-one.

I've had the Delphi unit and currently have to Roady in another vehicle which I installed myself. It's nice having everything in on convenient package.

This might not be for you since you already have a newer headunit, but maybe you want to upgrade that, too? It's around $320.00 or so.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Shawn. It sounds like it would be the best option, but I forgot to mention another aspect of my decision-making. I'll most likely be selling my car in the next two months, and my folks will buy the Pioneer from me (it's going from a 94 Civic to 95 Accord, so there should be minimal problems). It sounds like a perfect idea for the new car, though. Any word on a follow-up model, or is this one good for a while?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Alpine just came out pretty recently. It won an award at the 2004 CES for "Excellence in Design and Engineering".

It's not a real fancy radio. It's just a basic Alpine headunit / CD player with the XM added in. It still sounds good and has decent power on it's own. It doesn't have a bunch of fancy displays or anything like that. Just the basics and it works.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have this head unit. It was actually cheaper than buying just an XM ready head unit and the separate receiver -- and it was one less thing to install.

Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks