What's new

Xm Pcr (1 Viewer)

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody else have the PCR? I must say that I would gladly recommend skipping a week or two of buying DVD's to pick this up. If you aren't a XM subscriber already, it is a cheap way of testing it out to see if you like the stations.

And it is great to see everything that is currently playing at once, not to mention it will pop up a non-intrusive window if one of your fvorite artisits is playing. This makes programming at a computer 10 hours a day more bearable :)

There are a few things I don't like about the software, but I am hoping it will mature with new versions (or I'll figure out the protocol and write my own). It has a favorite artists list, but no way to add to it unless you happen to catch your favorit artist currently playing. Also, I REALLY want a 'hated' artists list so it will automatically change to a different station when Whitney Houston comes on.

Plus it won't minimize to the systray, which is annoying if you keep a bunch of programs open.

But those are very minor annoyances and I hartily recommend it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

I have a Delphi SkyFi unit on my desk, so that is
what I use to tune in XM radio at home.

The only advantage that this new PCR unit seems
to have is its low-cost entry into the exciting world
of XM Radio.

If you have time, upload a screenshot of the unit
and what the software looks like on your computer
screen. Would love to check it out.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to be in the minority, but I don't have the Delphi. Does it show what is on all channels without having to change to the channel? Or allow creation of favorites list a la Directv like the PCR? If so, I could easily be persuaded to dump my old Sony unit in the car and it's 5 measly memory spots.

I'll try to remember to take screenshots tomorrow...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

The SkyFi unit indeed tells you what songs are
playing on all the other channels (a page at a time)
without having to change the channel.

It has (I believe) 20 presets for your favorite
channels.

I love the SkyFi unit.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
That's definately a convenience I could use in my car. I wonder how I could get that shiny red screen in the car without my wife noticing? :D

If you are pleased with the Skyfi in the office, then there probably isn't a compelling reason to switch. At least until the software matures.

But for those of you who don't run out and get your PCR!

And the screenshots:
Here it is in 'mini' mode:

Here it is notifying me a favoirite is on another channel and asking if I want to change to it:

And finally, a link to see the whole program on my desktop:
http://www.davidbroome.com/images/image3.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

That's pretty cool.

I'll tell yuh, if I had not already invested in
the SkyFi unit, I'd be all over this puppy.

Thanks for taking the time to put together those
screenshots.

Cy Jervis

Agent
How does it sound compared to a regular tuner. I have been thinking about getting XM for the house and love the look and function of the PCR but my stereo is in the other room which is where most of the listening would be. If they made XM available on Directv or combined with Tivo so I could use this in the living room it would be so sweet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now am I to presume that this PCR can only
hook up to computer speakers, and thus is most
useful just for a desktop setup?

Can it be integrated into a home HI-FI system,
since this is the manner people will probably
opt for?

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I only have my old Sony receiver to compare it too, but the sound is the same to my ears (which are untrained, so some picky-eared person may have different results). I am perfectly happy with the sound.

The sound can completely bypass the computer if you like. This is what I do in fact, since my card can't do Line In and Digital Out at the same time (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). The USB is only used for control and transfering data to the software. The sound is output opver a standard 1/8 stereo plug. I go from the stereo plug to my receiver and sit on the counch enjoying some tunes through my Paradigms with all-channel stereo on :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, if you already have the Delphi unit, the PCR is useless(kinda). You can just hook up the Delphi homt unit to your PC. The downside is you have to use the unit itself to change the stations.

Either way you are set..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks