What's new

xBox or PS3? Plus...what to buy?.....etc! (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yep, the sig chick is Michelle Ryan from the "Bionic Woman" and the avatar chick is Nymphadora Tonks (real name Natalia Tena) from Harry Potter.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Get them both and throw in a Wii while you are at it (assuming you can find one).

Like others have posted, Halo 3, COD IV, Drakes Fortune, etc. You can't go wrong with any of these.

IGN just gave GTA IV a 10 out of 10. I don't think I've ever seen them do that before.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Because of IV, I'm now trying to decide between these two systems. IGN says the PS3 version has less pop-in and better load times, but the 360 will have exclusive downloadable episodes. I'm leaning to the 360, but the failure rate scares me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's funny...

So many people are buying their first gaming system thanks
to GTA4

Greg, don't be scared by the failure rates on the xBox. From
what I hear Microsoft is extending a 3-year warranty to any
unit that fails.

I just hooked up my xBox the other day and thus far, without
even receiving any of the games I ordered, I'm having fun! I
have been downloading demos and playing them. I set up a LIVE
account and added a bunch of HTF friends.

If you don't have a Blu-ray player yet the PS3 is probably the
way to go. Otherwise, I can attest as a "newbie" that the xBox
is a first-rate system.

Let us know which you purchased.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think I picked it up a long time ago from Beavis and Butt-Head. I don't remember the context. Either that, or they just warped my way of thinking. In any case, it was intentional. :)

Ron, I think I'm going to get the 360. I don't have a Blu-Ray, and that would be awesome, but I remembered some 360 exclusives that I want like Saint's Row, Crackdown and Dead Rising.

If you're completely new to the GTA series, the new one may make the old ones unpalatable, but you should probably check them out at some point. I assume the original XBox games are compatible with the 360. Most people seem to consider Vice City to be Rockstar's masterpiece (until now, at least), but I love San Andreas. Even a year after I completed the game, I still just get in there and drive around the mountains and desert. Actually, I'm on my third complete playthrough right now, and we're talking a game that takes at least 60 hours to complete. I refuse to even say the total number of hours I've racked up.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

PC versions, by the way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Greg,

You put a smile on my face. Glad you are going with the xBox.

My first day with the console and I spent it online playing
Call of Duty 4 with friends. I was getting my ass kicked.
but man oh man, is this fun!

James St

Supporting Actor

Just a note on this. The 2 channel limitation is for PCM. I have my Elite connected through HDMI and have no problem with 5.1. It can pass a DD/DTS bitstream same as an optical connection.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ron, thanks for starting this thread!!

I've had a PS2 for years, and rarely play it, except for the GTA games which I love (even though I've yet to be able to finish one. I reach a point where I get stuck and just give up).

With the new game, reading the reviews, I WANT to play it, but don't have a PS3 or 360, so don't know which way to go.

I don't have a Blu Ray player yet, so that is a big option, but there are plenty of other XBOX games out there I've been wanting to play for years (I've never played any of the HALO games).

I'm not big on online playing as I have an ancient DSL setup that, due to the house wiring, shuts down every time the phone rings.

One question, does the XBOX come with a wireless adapter? Reading the ads, I see an adapter for sale that goes for an additional $100. Do I need that?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

There is a wired ethernet port on all XBOX360 models. If you don't have a network jack in the area you can buy some powerline adapters or you can buy the wireless adapter.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FYI, the current Lightning Deal at Amazon is a blue wireless controller for the 360 for $30 (regular $50). They're going fast. . .

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
While Ron has already made his decision, let me throw in my two cents for Greg. I would whole-heartedly recommend the 360. The newer units have had better reliability and the game library is at this point bigger and more impressive (at least to me). Performance-wise any game that is on both systems will play almost identical on either one.

As has been mentioned, a gold Live membership will cost you between $38-50 (Circuit City has 13 month cards on sale this week for $40 and buy.com sometimes has deals), but the service is solid. One of the main differences I have heard (my PS3 is not connected and I only have 2 games, both with no co-op) is that your friends list is much better integrated with the XBox.

The XBox arcade titles available online typically run between 400 and 800 points with the occasional 1200 pointer. There are some very solid games that are good for when you don't have or don't want to spend a ton of time in a particular game.

Ron, you mentioned that you like fantasy games. There are three out right now to consider: Blue Dragon (a bit on the juvenile side, at least in presentation), Eternal Sonata (in the middle), and Lost Odyssey (definitely a more mature look). Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata have both already been reduced in price ($30 I think), so those may be good ones to get started with.

Ron (and Greg, or anyone else who wants to), if you feel like it, throw me a friend invite. My tag is Tonner Cyn.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm coming late to this thread, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway... :)

I own all three - XBox 360, PS3, Wii. Ron, I think you made the right choice. The XBox 360 is IMO simply the most complete & FUN console experience right now for adult gamers. It's the console I use most. I especially like the Arcade games. They're cheap, download quickly, and provide a quick fix of gaming fun when you don't have time to get into a full-on session of Halo, Bioshock, etc.

Now, what's going to be weird to most here is I haven't really explored the online gaming aspect yet. I am not a very skilled gamer at all, so the whole thing intimidates me a bit. But last week I took the plunge and bought a Gold membership, so I'm ready to put my toe in the water. My gamertag is SeanMorbo, for those who don't mind gaming with a noob. ;)

BTW, on the reliability issue, I've had mine for 2 years now with no problems (knock on wood). I will say I give it PLENTY of ventilation - it sits on top of my equipment rack, out in the open.

As a huge Ratchet & Clank fan, I had to have the PS3 as well. ;) It doesn't get as much use, but I think it's future is bright. The Home network community which is now in beta (coming next year) looks potentially game-changing. As much as I love the XBox, I think in 2009 and beyond the PS3 could be THE console to own.

Now, I'm off to pick up GTA4!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, James. I appreciate your testimony. I pretty much made my decision today by buying the 360 version of the GTAIV Special Edition, but I won't open it until I get my system just in case.

I looked on the 360 aisle and found quite a few games I will want. Saint's Row, Crackdown, Dead Rising are the exclusives, and there's also Bully and the upcoming Bionic Commando. As to the latter, the main game looks good, but I'm mainly excited for BC Rearmed. Looks sexy. It's coming for everything, including the PC, but I don't have a PC that would do it justice.

One thing in the PS3's favor was the cover art for the Special Edition. PS3 players get a sexy babe sucking a lollipop, while 360 owners get Niko. ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this was just a thread I was looking for...

I have both PS3 and Nintendo Wii and I´m loving them both (for different reasons).

PS3 is not really a pure "game console" anymore, it´s a "media center" and quality Blu-ray-player. Minor "fan noise" is probably the only gripe that I have with PS3 (and many say that their unit is almost "silent", so...). PS3 lacks analog out (with Blu-ray), but I just recently bought a new HDMI 1.3-receiver, so it´s not an issue for me anymore. Plenty of great games for me also, been quite happy with the overall selection (no time to play *that much* anymore). So very little to complain, when it comes to PS3.

Wii has some inventive, fun and "cute" ( ;) ) games and "Mario/Donkey Kong" are Nintendo-exclusives. That´s enough for me, even when it´s using only SD resolution. Just got "Mario Kart Wii", and quite frankly it´s so much fun that I´m still smiling. If you have kids (I don´t have yet, though), Wii is a must. It really makes those kids active and moving, away from the couch. :) So no real complains with Wii either (although not sure, that how much longer the console can keep up vs. PS3/Xbox 360 and HD-resolution.. looking good so far, though).

Now to my question(s)/topic: Since I have PS3 and Wii, why not Xbox 360 also? The thing is, that every console has some great "exclusive games" and since my time is limited (no time to "play" like the 15-20 years old), I want to play the selected, "best games" (well, "best" for my taste etc etc of course). I want to play e.g. "Drake´s Fortune". I want to play e.g. "Mario Kart Wii". And I would like to play e.g. "Halo 3". "Playstation" will be always my nr.1 choice when it comes to game consoles, but like I said, not all games are available on PS3...

So, I´m really considering getting also Xbox 360 (and then I could just buy every (console) game I want). Few questions...

1) The differences between "Pro" and "Elite":
Pro = 20gb HD
Elite = 120 gb HD

Do I need that much HD space? What do I gain and how much "content" is available to download?

2) I´ve learned, that it´s best that the console is "falcon" and that you recognize the "falcon"-consoles (at least the Euro-models) for the "175w" (old is "203W") in the side of the box ("box" or the "console", not fully sure?). True? I believe the "failure rates" are lower with falcon-models...

3) Both my PS3 and Wii are wireless (Internet). Can I get Xbox 360 to work wireless?

4) Controllers should be wireless, right?

5) HDMI is in both "Pro" (not originally?) and "Elite", but only "Elite" has HDMI cable in the box?

6) HDMI is "only" 1.2, right? Then again when it comes to gaming, not sure where would you need 1.3 (since games doesn´t have HD audio formats)...

7) Is Xbox 360 "noisy"? Some people say that it´s REAL noisy.. Note, that I don´t plan to watch movies (DVD, nor HD) with it. I have other players for films. ..well, perhaps some movies that I download in the future, not sure...

8) Playing games online costs something every month? This sounds a bit silly (and greedy), considering that PS3/Wii online-gaming is "free".. Again, I don´t play *that much*, so paying some monthly fee regardless doesn´t sound promising...

9) If I don´t play *that much*, is "Elite" "too much" for me? It seems, that the main difference is additional HD space (granted, quite a lot 20gb vs 120gb)..

Thank you very much for the time and take this as a positive list of questions to the Xbox 360-fans out there. Since I don´t know the console that well, I would appreciate some feedback. Since e.g. "Elite" is not that cheap ("Arcade" model is out of the question), I would like to be sure. :)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I should also note that the XBOX360 is a windows media extender. So you can stream media from a PC running XP or Vista to your A/V system.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
My wife just got me an XBOX Elite for my birthday. I'm kind of on the fence on whether I really want to keep it or not since I already have a PS3 and a Wii. Now for those who haven't been reading between the lines, I guess I'm counting on you guys to convince me to keep it. It seems it gets very good reviews around here. But, I don't like the idea of my wife spending all that money if it's not goint to be used very much. What "Killer Apps" does it have? Is it 1080p (or at least i) capable?

If I do keep it, I am wondering about GTA4. Should I go to Gamestop and trade in my PS3 version for the XBOX version. I hear the PS3 has slightly better graphics, but I like the idea of getting "achievement points" for XBOX and it also seems like XBOX has better multiplayer (although I like that I can just use my bluetooth earpiece for voicechat on PS3 instead of having to buy a seperate headset for XBOX) I am also not liking that XBOX is not WiFi capable right out of the box, and that I would have to buy a relatavely expensive adapter for that capibility)

From my own experience, I have always been behind the curve on hard drive space with the computers I have bought. You may have a number in mind that seems like alot, but it runs out fast. I have a 60gb PS3 and for example just Rock Band and GTA4 have taken up like 7gb. More that 10% of my space for 2 games. I guess now I have the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" philosophy. At least that way you don't have anxeity over whether or not you have enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks