What's new

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I ordered both systems within 3 minutes of them going live on Amazon.Used my Kinect to claim my day one chevon, that was cool.Bought DR3 special edition and the Killzone complete pack, dr3 was ready to play at 44%, everything else is queued behind it still.Passing on Ryse and Battlefield for now, to much else to do.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. I'd like to get your impressions on how it compares to the PS4 as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm curious how you like the systems, too. I've read the Polygon PS4 and Verge xbox one reviews and was unimpressed. And my gadget buying this year has been very high, so new game system is off for a while (but I'm interested in a cheap PS3)I can't fathom MS savaging surround sound into stereo on pass through. It shows a complete lack of care on what they've said is Job 1 for the xbox. How do you make a unified interface for the Living Room , in 2014, that only does stereo? For now, I've got Alan Wake and other $20 classics on my shopping list :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I'm reading that digital only copies are $20 MORE than disc copies in XBOX Live stores.
MS is in a hurry to recoup the 700 or 800 million that they probably spent on developing the XBone. XD

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm holding off on the consoles. As an early adopter of the last ones, I was a victim of red ring and yellow light of death. I ended up buying new consoles. I expect there will be problems with the new consoles at launch.

For those that have the One integrated into your home theater, how are the voice commands working when sound is coming out your speakers? Any sounds being misconstrued as commands?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've read that the disc drive errors on XBO are more prevalent than the PS4's blue light issues.

Real shocker there.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Friends got an Xbox One, and I was over there today to give them their "Akira" tickets for tomorrow night. I got a little demo. He bought Forza and showed me some of that. I'm not a racing-sim player (I skew "Beetle Adventure Racing" and "Burnout"), but it was gorgeous. Amazing vistas through the mountains.

I played a level of Killer Instinct. That brought back memories; I had that on the N64. It was even more fun on the XO. I had it on "don't hurt me", and used my general feel for button-mashers (swizzle the joystick and push buttons afterwards), and I won. While that's not a system seller, it's good fun and would probably be a day-one purchase for me if I were buying new.

He showed me some of the voice commands. That was neat, but hard to tell that it was faster or easier than menus or using my Harmony remote.

I liked the controller. It seemed as good, maybe better, than the current 360 controller.

Then we turned it off, switched to the PS3 and fired up the new Bioshock Infinite DLC :)

A few months ago, I though the XO or PS4 could be on my shopping list this Winter. However, I've upgraded a lot electronics this year -- somewhat unplanned. So console is off the shopping list for now. But even if I was overflowing with money, I'm not sure I'd buy the XO this year, given the paucity of games. If money and time were gushing, I'd probably get the Wii U (and Pikmin and the new Mario game). I think cheap 360 games and maybe a cheap PS3 are the order of business for me. And when the great new games come out, maybe get a new console next summer or Christmas.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This might be the only funny thing I have ever seen on a gaming podcast / stream:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWVEyE_iaCs&feature=player_detailpage#t=1797Skip to 30 mins in if it makes you watch it from the start.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
$500, Kinect voice and motion controls, integrated TV functionality, $100 million toward improving the controller...

Best game available on 2 year old mobile phones.

Sidenote: GameSpot gave their Xbox One and PS4 Game of the Year to Assassin's Creed IV. That's a good but also kind of sad choice.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Won an XBOX1 today. I hadn't intended to buy one, bought the PS4 and have been very happy with it. But now we'll have them all.. PS4, XBOX1, WiiU.. kids TV is setup with XB1, PS3, WiiU and XBOX360+Media Center. Livingroom is Mediacenter & PS4, wife will keep the one XBOX360 for MCE Extender

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Congrats, Matt. That's cool. We recently "had" to eat at McDonalds several times. I kept hoping I'd get lucky and win one there. I know it's not likely, but it's probably the only way I'm getting one. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
$500, Kinect voice and motion controls, integrated TV functionality, $100 million toward improving the controller...Best game available on 2 year old mobile phones.
And you ask me why I consider an iPad a competitor for gaming dollars... ;)Matt, neat on winning a One. I know someone who won a Surface Pro on Twitter. I need to enter MS contests.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks