What's new

XBox One -- how to combat the price issue.. (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Official XBone controllers use AA batteries? XBox controllers are rechargeable, aren't they?

There was a story going around FB the other day about a Japanese game controller that you operate via a certain appendage that, shall we say, does not have fingers or toes. I think I may have thought of a way for Microsoft to stop people from buying used games. . . :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Uh, I'm guessing that one would be for hentai games. ;)
Official XBone controllers use AA batteries? XBox controllers are rechargeable, aren't they?
I believe they are now, but IIRC the XBOX controllers used AA batteries when they first came out. You had to buy the rechargeable pack separately. The PS3 controllers were rechargeable right from the get go. It looks like M$ is following the same game plan for the Xbone controllers: AA first and buy the rechargeable pack as an accessory.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
What is the problem with using AA batteries? We have had our Wii for years and have a regular AA charger next to the game console. Its advantages are that you can put in fresh batteries at any time if you forgot to charge the controller, you can change out a burned out rechargeable battery and the regular AA rechargeable batteries are significantly cheaper than those built-in rechargeable packs.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I understand you don't want to pay $60 for a $2 controller but is the complaint that all controllers should be built-in rechargeable or that for $60 it better be rechargeable but even better would be $30 and use AA batteries?

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
mattCR said:
I keep reading that the PS3 didn't get as many "exclusives" as the XBOX360 in this cycle. I own both, and I am really struggling with that idea; so far, all of the best exclusives I've bought have all been on the PS3... Little Big Planet 1/2, Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, PixelJunk Monsters, Fat Princess.. I mean, all of the games that I think of as complete exclusives have all been PS3 this cycle.

The XBOX 360s "big" exclusives have all been FPS, as near as I can tell.. Halo, Mass Effect, Gears of War. The only real exclusive that gets me back on the XBOX is Fable III.

I guess I'm just not an FPS type person, and the PS3's exclusive catalog was incredibly diverse this time around.
Also, I loved PS3 exclusives titles like:

Killzone

Heavy Rain

The Last of Us

God of War

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that they will have some sort of rechargeable battery pack option for the controllers, but $60 for them without that is too high. The PS3 controllers come with internal batteries, which are good for not needing AAs lying around but also bad because you can't just switch a battery in if the one dies.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I think they are asking close to 80 bucks for the plug and play package. The other disadvantage of the PS3 controllers was the length of the charging cable. Sony was so cheap. They provided a cable so short that it became a PITA to keep playing when the battery died.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Morgan Jolley said:
I imagine that they will have some sort of rechargeable battery pack option for the controllers, but $60 for them without that is too high. The PS3 controllers come with internal batteries, which are good for not needing AAs lying around but also bad because you can't just switch a battery in if the one dies.
The recharger kit is $25 on its own, or $75 for both the controller and the kit.

I've never owned an XBox, so I didn't know that the first-party controllers ran on AA batteries unless you buy an add-on. I always just assumed that they were rechargeable out of the box like the Dualshock. Live and learn!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I bought a big set of Eneloops a number of years ago. They're great, but I seem to have misplaced nearly all of them. :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check inside your gadgets :)They now have high discharge, higher capacity eneloops. The trade off is only 500 recharge cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks