What's new

XBox not as PC as thought? (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Very, very interesting read indeed.
I guess that to be a good thing that MS tried so hard not to just put a PC in a box and call it a gaming machine. I agree with the statements about the prediction of XBox;
"I can tell you that the X-Box demos at E3 that sucked so much, weren't running on final silicon, didn't have the audio hardware, were even more buggy, and many were ports of PC games.
Which is what a lot of early reviews were based on and I think a lot of opinions were formed.
Thanks for pointing out this article! :)
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it meant Politically Correct. After the camel toe thing, I didn't think many feminists would wait to pounce all over this thing.
The XB has a lot of power, its been established before. We all know it. My only worry is that beyond DoA3, Halo, and Project Gotham, every other game will suck and only a few good releases will come out.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My only worry is that beyond DoA3, Halo, and Project Gotham, every other game will suck and only a few good releases will come out.
Morgan, we all know what your thoughts are on this matter. You post them in every thread regardless of whether they fit the topic of the thread.
rolleyes.gif

If anybody wants to talk about the architecture of the XBox, please feel free to contribute to this thread.
rolleyes.gif

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: I hope that this doesn't turn into a flame war and that nobody ruins it. - Morgan (in his own thread where he doesn't extend that same courtesy to others.)[/quote]
Oh, irony of ironies.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced that being associated with a PC is bad for the system. Either way, I see many advantages.
Gret article, Michael.
In either case, for those looking for a kick-ass system, this should fit the bill. For those looking for more convergence, check that too.
And to top it off, the games will only get better.
We are all in for a great ride.
[Edited last by James D S on November 01, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
James-
That quote was taken out of context. That thread was simply to be posts responding to a question using small answers. It was made so that there would be no debating and no fighting or flame wars. This thread was not created in the same way. I responded with my thoughts on the subject, and they were the truth.
In fact, the thread you got that quote from was not really about people's opinions or impressions, but just which console(s) everyone is getting or has (not why, just which ones).

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: This thread was not created in the same way.[/quote]
All threads are meant to stay on topic. ALL threads.
This thread's originator doesn't appreciate your "contribution," either so you may want to think about how you approach posting. "Truth" or not.
[Edited last by James D S on November 01, 2001 at 08:04 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Some threads are usually created with the idea of debate being started, such as a "which cable should I use" or "which TV does this look best on." This thread, and some others, might not have been made as such, but they were not made in the same way as the one I made. I created a thread with the idea of each person contributing one post and not needing to post another unless they changed their mind about which console they were getting.
This thread can stay on topic. If anything, you brought it the most off.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG HHHHHHHHHHHH! part 2.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
ROFLMAO!!!!
I totally agree with you Camp.I feel your pain.
I guess what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced that being associated with a PC is bad for the system. Either way, I see many advantages.

I'm kinda disappointed that it isn't more like a PC to be honest. I don't want the games to be compatible, or all the same, but I would like a KB and mouse, I would like a VGA box (with passthrough) and I would like to see some of the games as open ended as many PC games are now adays.
------------------

James D S

Screenwriter
quote: ..but I would like a KB and mouse.[/quote]
Ditto. Why reinvent to wheel. Controlling 3D FPS's is difficult with a gamepad.
After an impressive lead in videogaming by consoles, PC's have come a LONG way in establishing themselves in this arena. Flight sims, RPG's, Multi-Play, etc., these things are all expertly handled by our big, clunky white boxes.
LAN parties rule. Now it seems consoles are going to be able to take advantage of this right out of the [X]box.
Sign me up!
[Edited last by James D S on November 02, 2001 at 05:13 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You can have LAN parties (or something like them) on the PS2 with just a few i.Link cables and a hub.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You can have LAN parties (or something like them) on the PS2 with just a few i.Link cables and a hub.
I had lan parties with the Atari Lynx 10 years ago.
And talking about it has as much to do with the XBox architecture as talking about the PS2 networking does.
rolleyes.gif

James D S

Screenwriter
Michael,
It's like talking to a brick wall. A brick wall that can type.
[Edited last by James D S on November 02, 2001 at 11:49 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks