What's new

Xbox and the X1 (1 Viewer)

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Xbox and the X1
Anyone with this combo care to explain to me their connection
to the x1 and benefits disadvantages of the s-video to the vga connection.
I'm getting my x1 tomorrow (with the breakout cables) I was hoping this would be enough. Or should I look for a component to vga adapter. I also
have a Gamecube. So also need to find a component video switcher. Any idea how much those cost?

Or would sending an interlaced signal be better because of the
Farijouda(sp?) chip in the x1?

Also what about games that support 720p or 1080i? How would the
x1 handle those?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Aaron

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
You have many questions but they are good ones. The first thing is that you should get a component to VGA cable. As for your question about component on Gamecube I would say that it's unnecessary since of the consoles only the Xbox would be worth it. This is because almost all Xbox games support 480p while it's uncommon on the Gamecube and non-existent on the PS2. At the same time are you going to be watching DVD's on this FP? The Xbox is not a good DVD player and a progressive scan DVD player would be a good idea. My experience with a Sony NS755V DVD player has been good and the 40 disc resume is quite useful.

Though the Farijouda chip may be good, for the Xbox it would be far better to simply output progressive (if supported by the game). For a progressive scan display it is always best to send it a progressive signal.

Your final question might be best answered by one who owns the X1 though I believe it can accept both.

EdR

Second Unit
I think you might be mistaken about the GameCube Richard. In my experience, nearly every (if not every) GC title supports 480p, and many of them look every bit as good as the Xbox (Metroid Prime being a, uh, prime example).

It's definitely worth getting the GC on component as well.

I have a JVC Component switch (the XS-111 or something like that). I runs about $75 and it works with 720p input (don't know about 1080i, haven't tried it yet.

Ed

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, I did jump the gun in discounting the use of component for the Gamecube since many notable Gamecube games do 480p. The support of 480p on Gamecube games has increased but the Xbox is still the leader in the support of 480p games and the only console doing 720p/1080i games. I guess my comment was too either/or while Aaron does seem interested in a component video switcher.

Aaron, if you do get a component video switcher it would be worthwhile to get the component cable for the Gamecube. I believe that you might have to order it from Nintendo if I remember correctly.

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
I do have the component cables for the Gamecube.
I have a Toshiba 40h80 in my living room and plan on the x1 in the basement for gaming purposes.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
If your planning on using the X1 for only gaming purposses it makes a lot of things clear. A cheap option for switching component video is using a RCA remote switcher. Since 720p output by the Xbox is the most you will need to switch the RCA is probably the best solution. I know the Xbox can do 1080i but with the X1 using 720p would be better. The 4 input RCA switcher with remote is $40 and the model number is 15-1977. There is also a RCA switcher with remote, 6 inputs and Toslink optical switching. It's price is $100 and the model number is 15-1987. Niether of these are meant for switching component video but many have used them that way.

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
i picked up the cheaper switcher this afternoon, works like a charm
unfortunately i still need to get the component to vga adapter
Midbight Club2 was great with 4 people
i can't wait to set this up right
right now i have $13 4x6 foamboard i'm projecting on

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The ps2 even has a few 480p games, the new version of the console (not the psx, the updated ps2) supports it in hardware.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
James, I heard that there is currently only one PS2 game that does 480p and that is Tekken Tag Tournament. Also that is only for Japan since for some reason they removed it in international releases. Unfortunately Sony dropped the ball when it came to hardware support for 480p on the PS2 and since most PS2s sold are not the updated version it will probably never be used. A very good sign that the future PS3 will support 16:9 games as standard, at most likely HDTV resolutions, is the PSP handheld which has a 16:9 screen. I find it funny that some people complain that it won't play PS1 disc's, since if they got their wish many would then complain about the black bars on the side :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks