What's new

Xanadu and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ahhh, make that two of "The Devil's Unholy Trilogy of Gawd-Awful 70s/80s Roller Disco Flicks Internded to Forever Destroy Mankind's Sense of Good Taste" rolling its way to Blu-ray.

So now the score.

On Blu:
Roller Boogie (1979)
Xanadu (1980)

Still In Limbo:
Skatetown USA (1979)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I remember my parents wanted to go see TBLWIT but didn't feel it would be appropriate for my brother and I. Their solution? Buy us tickets to another random movie showing at the same approximate time. That film? TRON! Thank you Mom and Dad!!!

Also, Xanadu is a riot. The Broadway Musical they made several years back was hilarious.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
To be honest, I can probably live without XANADU (who knows, as time gets closer I may change my mind as I'm a notorious pushover) but WHOREHOUSE is essential!

So much good stuff to be found in there!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Whorehouse has a wonderful country-tinged score (though quite a bit of it got cut in the move to the screen). What songs were retained from Broadway are unquestionably the best things about the movie, but Burt Reynolds' stock company players (Dom DeLuise, Jim Nabors) aren't as felicitously cast in their roles as others might have been.

Charles Durning's "The Sidestep" is the showstopper, and "The Aggie Song" brings down the house just as it did in the theater.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Great news for Burt Reynolds (and Dolly Parton) fans...

It also helps that they filmed the courthouse in Hallettsville, TX which isn't too far away from me (visited a few times).

It was supposed to have been filmed in La Grange, which is where the chicken ranch originally was, but the lore I have heard was that the folks in La Grange were trying to distance themselves from the whole story. Hallettsville, was only too happy to accept (it's directly south of La Grange). Both towns have beautiful court houses (they are both their respective county seats) and Hallettsville still has a single screen movie theater.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
Ahhh, make that two of "The Devil's Unholy Trilogy of Gawd-Awful 70s/80s Roller Disco Flicks Internded to Forever Destroy Mankind's Sense of Good Taste" rolling its way to Blu-ray.

So now the score.

On Blu:
Roller Boogie (1979)
Xanadu (1980)

Still In Limbo:
Skatetown USA (1979)
Don't forget THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY as one still in limbo.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
WOW, I almost fell out of my chair, 2 great musicals from Universal, maybe my weekly emails to Universal Home Video and my petition helped, I was sad not to see their other unreleased musical from that era, The Pirates of Penzance listed. I want all three really bad. Now if we can get Universal to release their 3 classic musicals, I will be a most happy fella. Flower Drum Song, Sweet Charity and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Both are must haves for me. I don't find Xanadu remotely "unintentionally funny" but I was born without the camp gene so that might explain it. Terrific 1980s pop from Olivia and Electric Light Orchestra. As for Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, it's uneven but its assets outweigh its liabilities. One liability is the godawful dance in the locker room by the "football team" though the closest those chorus boys ever got to a football was cheerleading squad.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ahollis said:
Don't forget THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY as one still in limbo.
Normally I include TGIF in the discussion but it's not a roller disco film. But we'll change things up slightly:

"Devils Unholy Quintet Of Gawd-Awful 70s-80s Disco Flicks Intended To Forever Destroy Mankind's Sense Of Good Taste":

Thank God It's Friday (1978): DVD release 2006.. C'mon Twilight Time , bring this one to Blu.

Roller Boogie (1979): Blu release 2015.

Skatetown USA (1979): no home media release whatsoever. Rights held by Sony/Columbia.

Xanadu (1980): Blu release, March 2016.

Can't Stop The Music (1980): not sure of home media status. Will look it up. UPDATE: DVD release in 2002, no other releases.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
Normally I include TGIF in the discussion but it's not a roller disco film. But we'll change things up slightly:

"Devils Unholy Quintet Of Gawd-Awful 70s-80s Disco Flicks Intended To Forever Destroy Mankind's Sense Of Good Taste":

Thank God It's Friday (1978): DVD release 2006.. C'mon Twilight Time , bring this one to Blu.

Roller Boogie (1979): Blu release 2015.

Skatetown USA (1979): no home media release whatsoever. Rights held by Sony/Columbia.

Xanadu (1980): Blu release, March 2016.

Can't Stop The Music (1980): not sure of home media status. Will look it up.
It's the Disco fact that grabs me. :).

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Thomas T said:
One liability is the godawful dance in the locker room by the "football team" though the closest those chorus boys ever got to a football was cheerleading squad.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks