What's new

x2 Kicker Solo-Baric S10L7's to Home Audio questions. (1 Viewer)

Dustink123

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin Karper
I Have 2 Kicker Solo-Baric S10L7's, And I know I would get better sound for in home use with a pre built home Audio Sub but this is a project I've been wanting to work on for some time. so my questions are

If I used an open cabinet what size power amp would I need?
What brand do you recommend for a power amp?
How do I go about not mismatching the impedance and stay above 4 ohms?
Does it matter what type of In line high pass filter I use?
if so what brand do you recommend for the fiter?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dustink123 said:
I Have 2 Kicker Solo-Baric S10L7's, And I know I would get better sound for in home use with a pre built home Audio Sub(subwoofers have no clue where they are. This statements makes zero sense) but this is a project I've been wanting to work on for some time. so my questions are

Anything up to 10,000 watts

How much money you got?

Is this one mono amp or a stereo amp?

Not using an external crossover?

None.

Is this for home theater...???

Dustink123

Auditioning
Real Name
Dustin Karper
Yes I know it makes no sense, but I've read on multiple sites of people saying just sell your subs and buy a pre built one.

Medium price range for the amp
I'd like to use a stereo amp with bridged mono
Mostly Audio but I plan to use this for both.

thank you for the External crossover suggestion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dustink123 said:
Yes I know it makes no sense, but I've read on multiple sites of people saying just sell your subs and buy a pre built one. Why? DIY, which is what you are doing, is the best choice. Stupid advice.Medium price range for the ampSo, a Krell at $5000?I'd like to use a stereo amp with bridged monoWhat? Why?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dustink123 said:
I Have 2 Kicker Solo-Baric S10L7's, And I know I would get better sound for in home use with a pre built home Audio Sub but this is a project I've been wanting to work on for some time. so my questions are

What is an open cabinet?

Power requirements are based on cabinet size and type. All other things being equal, sealed requires the most power but we have no idea until you tell us the Thiele/Small parameters and let us know the enclosure size that you chose.

What is the impedance of your driver? Depending on the amp you choose, you may not have to stay above 4 ohms. For example, I'm running an older version of http://tcsounds.com/product/drivers/axis-driver/%C2

Filters depend entirely on the amp/enclosure you choose. Sealed subs rarely need one. Some plate amps have a filter built in.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Besides infinite baffle, there's also open baffle/dipole. Similar concept except the back wave of the sub is in the same room.

I definitely understand "the dumb look". I was running dual 15" IB subs in my girlfriend's (now my wife) car back in 1989. Because we were both in the transition period between cassette and CD, I set her up with dual decks. The Pioneer CD player was primary. Turn it off and an autoswitcher would turn on the cassette deck. Two volume controls were a pain but that was life back then.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Back around then...I had an 85 Mustang GT. Two Pyle New Waves were in the car. You could rest the hatchback down onto the lock, put in AC/DC and the first bass hit would suck the hatch closed.I cheated on CD by using the cassette adapter that came with the Sony Portable CD player(the one meant for vibration use). Then I discovered head units with RCA inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks