What's new

X-Files Series Finale - 5/19/02 (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thi,

Yes, their will be a movie. Chris Carter said it will be out in 2004. The one sticking point was Duchovny. About a year ago he was wishy-washy about it. Now, he is excited to do it.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
With the finale receiving such low ratings, how do we know for sure that there'll be another movie installment? While Carter has said he's been working on the script, there's been nothing concrete as to whose been signed. I'd definitely take everything with a grain of salt until things actually fall into place.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My thoughts on the finale basically come down to "good, not great". The bad - the whole courtroom sequence. As a recap of 9 years worth of conspiracy arc it was fine (albeit overlong); as courtroom drama it was horrible. They could have done the "recap" a different way (Mulder narrating a journal??) and taken up much less time.

The rest of the show was fine, the highlight for me being the return of CSM, one of the great villains in television history. Good to see he was nasty to the end.

Now, the ending... it seems to me if they had decided to continue on with the show another year they could have used this exact same episode as a season finale. Anderson would have been gone, so they've got Scully & Mulder reunited, on the lam, and off screen. The show continues on with Doggett, Reyes & Skinner trying to get the X-Files restarted. The setup would have been perfect for S&M to remain as presences in the show, communicating with D&R from time to time, and even making the occasional guest shot.

One final thought - the date for the alien invasion is set for 2012. Anyone else think we might see Carter try to revive the "X-Files" universe in 5-7 years with a new series, built around preparing humanity's defense against the upcoming invasion??

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
As for a movie I read that a URL has been reserved - xfiles2 or something like that.

I also wonder how well a movie would do. When XF:FTF came out X-Files was at the height of its popularity. And even still it only managed to bring in fans and not very many unfamiliar with the show. FOX was hoping the movie would have broader appeal.

I hope they go ahead with it.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Just for the record I was a huge X file fan until season 5 I think it was. I have tried to watch the last 6 episodes since this was the final season. I didn't care for any of them. I only watched 23 minutes of the final show. I couldn't stomach any more. I have actually grown to hate this show.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
OK, it wasn't that bad. Certainly better than most of the episodes the last 2 years. I would have liked Mulder and Scully to end up in a better place, being redeemed, job wise anyway. During the last ten minutes I kept wondering, "How are they gonna wrap this all up in the end?"

Also just seeing Dogget and Reyes drive off in the end was also a little dissapointing, since it was probably the last time we will see them. I think it was said that they will not appear in a future X-Files movie. Dogget kind of grew on me, and I think they both did the best with what they had.

I was also a little disappointed on how the baby thing ended up. It just didn't sit right with me. After all they had been through Scully just gives William up? I realize it was to protect him, but geez!

So in the future movies will Mulder and Scully even be working for the X-Files? Or just fighting monsters and Alien invasions on their own?

I wonder what the finale would have been like if Duchovney had not agreed to be in it? For all the problems folks had with this episode, it would have been much worse without Mulder!

Does anyone know if Spender was played by the same actor? He sure didn't look like him, but there was alot of make-up.

-Ric

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
In the end, they were on the run, had nothing left but each other and the belief everything would be OK because there was something more (i.e. God).
Wasn't even neccesarily "God" they were talking about, but the belief that humanity itself exists even after death - faith in the spirit being part of our existence. I just mention this because Mulder says to Scully in the cave that he did not know what knowing of the alien invasion would do to her "spirit". He didn't say that he thought her faith in God would get her through - no, he was concerned about how she would react to bad news, suggesting he sees this as a matter individuals deal with. I think Mulder has a spiritual faith in humanity. Anyway it was nice.

I thought the big secret would be that the walls between living and dead was just an illusion. The Mayan Calendar "2012" thing was a bit of a let down, since Mulder could have read that in any new age book, and I fear the next movie will simply be Mulder kicking alien ash.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Ric -

Yes, Chris Owens returned for the role of Jeffrey Spender for the finale and "William", even though he was under a ton of make up.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
It has been a heck of a ride. The last 9 years The X Files has brought us some of the best TV in the history of the medium. I am very sorry it is over.

I enjoyed the final episode. Especially the last 10 minutes...very simple...just Mulder & Scully...the central characters..coming to grips with the things they had seen over the last 9 years in their quest to find "the truth". Both finding comfort in a faith in God, that there IS something more powerful than the alien conspirators and their devious plan. That gives them hope that it CAN be stopped, that good will ultimately win out, even though at the time it may seem impossible to stop. A belief that those that had perished along the way that had assisted Mulder & Scully in their search were not totally lost...a part of them still remained. In times like these faith is all one really has left. And in the end it is that faith which keeps them going, even when the outcome appears inevitable. Mulder was not giving up, perhaps because of his newfound faith in God.

Very bittersweet, simple ending to a great TV series.

For me Sunday nights will never quite be the same again.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
Brian Bunn:
Your post above is exactly what I took from it as well. Well said and a great post too I might add! :)
Jeffrey

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Without spending any time on an amateur review, I'll just say that it was possibly the biggest waste of two hours I've spent all weekend - neigh - all year. Could it have got any worse? Another stupid trial. I'm convinced that trials are what writers do when the've run out of ideas. Scully's ending "wisdom" was so exciting, I couldn't keep my attention from wandering to the pretty white wall behind the TV. All in all, a fitting end to a once proud show.

Sigh.

Martin.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ric Easton wrote:
Not just disappointing, unbelievable as well. A woman who had yearned so long to have a child and had to fight the knowledge that she had been left barren through experiments not wanted or consented to by her, and had then miraculously conceived a healthy (if not "normal") baby wouldn't just give it up. No way. To make sure the child were adequately protected she herself would want to be there, like every other good mother I've ever heard of. The whole "letting-go" thing is just not credible. Mother instinct just doesn't work that way (in humans, animals, whatever). Maybe, if they'd built it up adequately over 6 weeks or so . . . . .
Which brings me to a question I meant to ask earlier. I missed part of the show where Scully was explaining to Mulder what had happened to the child. Did the finale, or did it not, firmly and unambiguously establish the child's paternity?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mike Broadman wrote:

I agree with you on the technicality, yet Krycek said more than once during the course of this series that he was actually trying to help Mulder and that Mulder didn't really understand the role he was playing (even though it sometimes meant his being a deadly opponent). I myself have never fully understood Krycek's motives either. They seem to have been more complex than his merely being a hired assassin.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Which brings me to a question I meant to ask earlier. I missed part of the show where Scully was explaining to Mulder what had happened to the child. Did the finale, or did it not, firmly and unambiguously establish the child's paternity?
They seem to think it's theirs, and the show seems to share their opinion.

It makes sense if you squint at it the right way:

Season Four: Mulder is infected with the black oil, then administered an imperfect vaccine.

Season Six/Seven: The dormant virus in Mulder is activated by the rubbing from the African ship, giving him mind-reading powers a la Gibson Praise (who has his "junk DNA" acitivated), but also slowly destroying him. This "activated junk DNA" is removed from Mulder and implanted in the Smoking Man. (Pardon me while I giggle at the show's science. OK, I'm back now.)

Season Seven: Mulder sleeps with Scully. (Suggested, but not unambiguous, in "All Things.") However, the activated alien DNA remains in Mulder, since we learn in Season Eight's "The Gift" that he continued to have a terminal brain condition, that is ultimately cured during his abduction in Season Eight where he is prepared to become a supersoldier.

Therefore, if William was indeed conceived by Mulder and Scully during Season Seven, he could well contain alien DNA and exhibit all the weirdness he did. (The magic alien DNA could also explain how the "barren" Scully was impregnated. It's worth remembering as well that Scully was infected with the black oil in the movie, and cured with a better vaccine than the one Mulder was cured with.) When given the magical magnetite injection by Spender, the alien DNA was killed and he became a normal human baby.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Ryan

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Yes, and he said the same thing about the first movie.

He's also said many times that we would "never" see Scully and Mulder in a romantic relationship with one another---even teased us several times over the years with a kiss here and there---, yet here we are: "Love conquers all." Ho-hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks