What's new

X-Box impressions (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, uh huh
wink.gif

P.S. I'll second that aside Dave ...I don't believe that anyone has an X-Box kiosk set up yet. Would not some news like that be all over the internet?
Man, he sure loves that Gamecube. :) How does the big 'N' continue to get the young ones to be so fanatical?
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 03, 2001 at 04:34 AM]

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
My main focus will be on importing a gamecube come November, however X-Box does have my interest but is unlikely to at the time of its US release.
I'm trying to make a feature film early in the new year, so it wont be possible to have both consoles shipped to me from the US come Nov, I just wont be able to afford them both. I'm not ignoring the X-Box though, just waiting to see how its performing some five months into its release before I make a definitive descision.
Gamecube will offer me a batch of games I will never see on its rival consoles, I'd hope X-Box can do the same. Such a factor is appealing to me in buying games consoles.
Dan (UK)

Andre F

Screenwriter
Dean,
I agree that the X-Box has some pretty looking screen shots but until we get reviews on the games I'm not going near it. Nintendo and Sony have proven themselves in the market. I'm look stability in my next machine. I feel like I got burned on my Dreamcast and I'd like to avoid that in the future.
-Andre
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
quote: Dean,
I agree that the X-Box has some pretty looking screen shots but until we get reviews on the games I'm not going near it. Nintendo and Sony have proven themselves in the market. I'm look stability in my next machine. I feel like I got burned on my Dreamcast and I'd like to avoid that in the future.
-Andre
[/quote]
That’s a very fair statement Andre, any new comer does have a more difficult time making it. Screen shots alone are a pretty poor way to judge how well a game is going to play. The movies do help but really until you get our hands on a controller and fire the game up your taking a chance giving your opinion about it. I’m sure that all of the systems will bring fantastic things to the gaming community so you really can’t go wrong with any choice. Tell the truth I feel the same way about the GCN right now. I need to know its not another N64 before I’ll jump on the wagon. Sure they’ve changed to an optical media and they claim that its simple to develop for, but look at the progress with Metroid and the fact that one of the most exciting games has already been canned. I just don’t know, so I’m going to wait. Maybe spaceworld will change my mind.
Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that Nintendo has been very secretive about the GCN and its software. The reason nobody has seen much of Metroid is because they are still working on it and they don't want to release anything until it is good enough to demo. I saw screenshots of it in a magazine and the graphics are great, so they must be spending a lot of time developing the graphics as well as the gameplay. I heard that the studio who is making it is not very well known, and this is their first big title. That could be another reason as to why nobody has seen anything from Metroid.
What game was canned that everyone keeps talking about? Munch's Oddysee was canned for PS2 a long time ago, way before it came out.
And about the kiosks, I'm not lying. One of my friends doesn't like videogames that much, and he saw an X-Box at a county fair or something like that. My other friend does like games and he saw it in a store. I'm not sure if it was FuncoLand or someplace else, but he did play it. They both said the graphics were like the PS2 and didn't seem much better to the naked eye and that they didn't like the controller.
I have been playing Nintendo since I was 3. That doesn't mean I like it more than any other consoles, considering I own about 40 PSX games and about 20 DC games. I don't have many DC games because there aren't many good DC games, but it only had a year and a half to release them, so its understandable.
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on August 03, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
quote: I saw screenshots of it in a magazine and the graphics are great,[/quote]
Morgan, all the screenshots released so far are from FMV sequences & mockups. No 'real' screens/movies of Metroid have been released AFAIK.
I don't have many DC games because there aren't many good DC games
Nice sweeping generalisation there. IMO, there are *tons* of good Dreamcast games, with more good ones still coming out. I have a nice big shelf filled with DC games, with there being a ton of games on my 'to buy' list.
------------------
Nothing In Particular
[Edited last by BrianB on August 03, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the screenshots I saw were of some places in the game and were not mock-ups nor FMV. They were in a recent issue (i think the september one) of Electronic Gaming Monthly. I know which ones were the FMV, and these were not in the FMV trailer that was made. It has Samus' ship in one picture and a few other pics of just places that the game takes place in.
I don't like most of the DC games. Shenmue was a MAJOR disappointment to me, and the only good games are fighting games. There are a few that had stood out, like Crazy Taxi, but they were too short and I finished them in less than a week. When I first got the DC, my 3rd game for it was Power Stone, which I still play against my friends in. Also, the DC doesn't have many exclusive titles that are good, though I never played Skies of Arcadia and assume that it is good. For every good DC game, there is an equivalent good PSX game, whether its the same game or the same genre. The DC just left me without a lot to offer.
As far as I know, there aren't many good DC game coming. Sonic Adventure 2 had some camera problems and most of it was not that good, Shenmue 1 was a bad game and I don't know if I'll get 2, Half-Life was cancelled, and what else is there?
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on August 03, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
BrianB,
quote: I don't. I'm having a whale of a time on the DC - sooo many good games on it.[/quote]
100% agreement on that one. I'm in the middle of an older game called "Shadowman". Running through the VGA adapter on my 55" Mits HDTV....DAMN! D2, Shenmue, Rayman 2, Soul Reaver, NFL2K1, etc.
I figure if I get at least a good year to year and a half game play out of any system, it was worth my investment. I mean it's not like they're stocks or something that appreciate in time.
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)
[Edited last by Troy LaMont on August 03, 2001 at 02:49 PM]

Andre F

Screenwriter
Dean,
I understand about your reservations about the Gamecube due to the N64. I guess I have selective memory when it comes to Nintendo. I remember the NES and Super NES but not my N64 collecting dust. :)
-Andre
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Troy LaMont:
If you are an RPG fan, or just a fan of a great game ..pick up 'Skies of Arcaida' and give it a spin if you have not done so already. A really great game that was overlooked, but seems to be universally liked by DC gamers.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
-----------------------------------------------------------
What game was canned that everyone keeps talking about?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I'm suprized such a dedicated GCN fan doesn't know this
wink.gif

Raven Blade is gone bro
Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for telling me. I'm a little embarassed I didn't know that it was canned.
I got a good year or so out of my DC, but some of the good games for it I had on PSX. I didn't like Shenmue. It was beautiful, but only a few people on screen at once and the fact that I beat it in less than 4 days and the wasting time in the game ruined it for me. I will probably get Shenmue 2, but I hope it comes out for PS2 or GC.

James D S

Screenwriter
We should only be so lucky if the upcoming game systems have a software library like what the Dreamcast built. It's very solid from top to bottom with contenders in all catagories.
If the XBox or GameCube can come close, I'd consider them a success.
My Dreamcast still gets heavey use. My N64 Does not. My NES and SNES still hold their own.
The Dreamcast is still viable.
Let us all bow our heads and pray that whatever system we decide to pony up for delivers the goods like the Sega Dreamcast did.
Amen.
[Edited last by James D S on August 06, 2001 at 02:23 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I own a DC and I still don't see what people are talking about with its great library of games. I didn't play Skies of Arcadia, but other than that, I don't remember that many good titles. All the ones I can think of are made by Sega, Capcom, or some small company. There are a few exceptions, but there is still not that many excellent games. The PSX had many great games, plus it lasted longer. The N64 also had some great games, but many companies decided not to develop for it, otherwise it would have had even more great games.
If someone could list for me all of the great DC titles, then I would appreciate it.
I have (for DC):
Crazy Taxi (good, but too short)
Dead or Alive 2 (the PS2 version is better)
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2 (excellent games)
MDK2 (great, but too difficult)
Mortal Kombat Gold (OMG this game is bad)
Power Stone (good, but only if you have someone to play it with)
Rayman 2 (good, but the PS2 version is better)
Resident Evil- Code: Veronica (great, but PS2 version is better)
Shenmue (its quite bad, IMHO)
Sonic Adventure (its OK, but could have been way better)
Soul Calibur (great game, but its taking too long for a sequel)
I may have missed a few, but thats pretty much it. Of those games, I don't think many were worth it if there is a better version available, plus some of them weren't that good.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
If someone could list for me all of the great DC titles, then I would appreciate it.
Can't possibly do that. But I'll list some of the Dreamcast games that *I* think are great that you haven't listed. Oh, and the games you've listed as "such & such is better on x platform" - generally, those other versions have came out 6 months to a year later than the DC version - and the DC version has been great to begin with... I think dismissing games because they're available on other platforms doesn't really help your argument - the DC versions /are/ still great games... You choosing a different platform to enjoy them doesn't stop other people like them on the DC...
You've missed out great games like (off the top of my head) Grandia 2, Bangia-o, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Test Drive Le Mans, Chu Chu Rocket, the various sports games: NFL2k1, NHL2k1, NBA2K1 etc... Phantasy Star Online! excellent versions of THPS1 & 2... It's the second best machine for Capcom fighters after the Saturn...
Where's the Best Game Ever on your list? Samba De Amigo 2000!
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Sean,
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl.
Morgan,
The PS2 version of Rayman 2 doesn't come close to the DC version. I've even seen online reviews that vouch for this. I've played both and based on my setup, I notice the difference in the DC vs PS2 version. DC wins. The same goes for RE:II.
I'm playing both on a 55" widescreen HD Mits, DC hooked up via VGA adapter and PS2 hooked up via component cables.
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Where's the Best Game Ever on your list? Samba De Amigo 2000!
BrianB,
My girlfriend would love to argue with you about that as she is a die hard Space Channel 5 fan, she's beaten it more times than I can count last summer she played it once a day and beat it everytime and I can't even get passed the first level
frown.gif
. Now we don't have the Maracas for SDA, so that might have something to do with her not liking it as much. But she swears on Space Channel 5 and everytime I am on a videogame website she comes over to me and ask if there is any news on Space Channel 5 II. I wish that damn game would hurry up as I am tired of hearing the same SC5 songs over and over and over and over and over.
Ok about Morgans list. I feel for you, seriously, you need to take the blinders off and open your mind to other sources besides EGM, et al. Lets go down your list:
-The following is my opinions of titles-
Crazy Taxi - Its an arcade game, its ment to do 1 thing, eat your quarters. But if you get good at CT you can play for hours on one game, matter in fact on the original CT level I can play for about 2 hours before running out of customers(actually not running out just thinning them out so bad it takes forever to find one)
Dead or Alive 2 - sure they added more stuff, but the left off Anti-Aliasing, ouch it makes the background's jaggies stick out like a sore thumb.
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - you are right, no argument there
MDK2 - no argument there
MK Gold - All MKs have been bad IMHO
Power Stone - yes another person helps, but the single player isn't bad
Rayman 2 - Sorry but your eyes have decieved you again. The fact is the PS2's paltry 4MB of video RAM vs. the Dreamcast 6 or 8 can't remember right now, really hurt this game's beautiful texture work. Also the DCs MUCH MUCH cleaner render is very well suited for Rayman 2's graphical style of bright colors.
REC:V - Ok....you do know that they had to scale the graphics down in this game because they couldn't fit them all into the PS2's 4MB RAM? So what you get here is a version of the game with a couple extra FMVs and a tiny new segment to play, and a DVD about Albert Wesker, putting my copy of REC:V for the DC for sale now, that was sarcasim.
Shenmue - it just wasn't your cup of tea, oh well. I personally thought this game was great, both gameplay and technology wise. Can't wait for Part 2.
Sonic Adventure - It was better here in America than it was in Japan, trust me on that! I didn't like the adventure part too much, but Sonic Adventure II took care of that, now if they would just realize that I don't want to play as 5 other characters, just Sonic please.
Soul Calibur - ummmmm, no its not. Soul Edge/Soul Blade were out for a really long time before Soul Calibur Arcade even showed up, I think atleast 3 years. In time it will happen and it will be worth it.
I can think of many things that you left off, but I am late to go work out.

paul h

Supporting Actor
How can you guys forget Virtua Tennis and UFC :)
Brian, i'm with you on Bangai-O, what a great game that is!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks