What's new

X-Box Gameshark........when? (1 Viewer)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I've been wondering this too. It would sure be nice. There's probably some legal entanglement with Microsoft, where as if InterAct releases one they would get sued.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They can make whatever they want for the X-Box, but the hardware and MS are probably trying to make it very difficult. They don't have a GameShark for the GameCube out, either. Probably some technical stuff getting in the way.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There's no ports on the XBox with direct memory access. The Memory card only accessses the HD on XB. I'd say it's impossible unless they do a physical program, which could then be blocked by game designers (detect program, game won't run)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't they do a program that acts like a boot disc and modifies the game code before the game is even loaded by the X-Box?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I hope that there is never a gameshark or similar for the Xbox. Not everyone is good at a game, suck it up if you aren't good at it....I'll be the first to admit I SUCK at RPGs and RTS type of games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I personally like the idea of having some sort of cheating device because you can usually do things beyond just invincibility codes, like modify the physics or change around the default controls. True, online cheating is a problem, but I still think that if someone wants to buy a GameShark there's nothing wrong with it.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, they can't do it before the game is loaded without patching the actual game disc.

As long as they don't use it online I have no problem with people having one

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I want a gameshark mainly for the screwy things that can be done with it. I remember a code for Tekken 3 where you could switch the motion capture data...so Ogre moved like Eddy. It was great fun.
The programmers could put a code to lockout all other code but theres into the online play. They could figure a way out.

Damien

Supporting Actor
i don't think a gameshark should ever should be released for xbox....WAY to risky for xbox live cheating that could ruin the whole thing

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Id hate it if people cheated on Live. But ust like others said, Im really interested in the codes that would somewhat alter the game. Those cheats are pretty fun! ANd they are usually new. Wouldnt it be cool to have an all weapons cheat in Halo or something like that?

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
No, they can't do it before the game is loaded without patching the actual game disc.
Something Microsoft made clear from before launch, that developers wouldn't be allowed to do for bug fixes and whatnot. Hence the many delays to Morrowind, for example.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Something Microsoft made clear from before launch, that developers wouldn't be allowed to do for bug fixes and whatnot. Hence the many delays to Morrowind, for example.
Actually, MotoGP Online had an analog control bugfix patch.

In my opinion:

1) Secure (signed) patches should be allowed via download, magazine disc, and so on.
2) Avoiding shipping buggy code is a function of the Quality Assurance group, but it does happen (on all consoles).
3) Gamesharks suck and should not exist for any console.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I'm willing tobet that if people find ways to cheat on XBox Live games that there WILL be patches to disable those cheats

MarissaH

Auditioning
Isn't Interact having some sort of trouble? I hear Datel, the actual maker of the Gameshark, which is called the Action Replay in Europe, doesn't want Interact to have the license to make Gamesharks anymore. They've decided to make Action Replay here in the States itself under its true name. I've noticed Action Replays in the online game stores for upcoming releases, and the AR for PS2 claims to be backwards compatible with Gameshark2 codes.

I don't mind cheating one on one, but as soon as you get another person in the equation, I strongly detest it, unless both/all parties agree to use cheats. I think mandatory patches to get around cheating would be the way to go. If you don't upgrade, you can't get online with the game.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Personally I'm doubting it's even possibly without a modchip. You just can't get the DMA you need from those USB ports

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see one, but I doubt it will happen. At least not in the near future.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks