What's new

X-Box - Anyone expect any post-Thanksgiving deals? (1 Viewer)

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Hi everyone. I want to get an Xbox soon, but I may hold off if there's a chance of getting a good deal the day after Thanksgiving. Does anyone think Best Buy, CC, or other B&M stores will offer big discounts on Xboxes/PS2s with those very early (5/6 a.m.) morning sales on the day after Thanksgiving? Say an Xbox for $100 or so? If only a early bird special of $125-130, I may just get one now. Any thoughts or anyone here work at one of these stores?

I haven't had a console since Sega Genesis (which I still have) and have an itch for an Xbox. From what I've read here and elsewhere, many seem to think that the platform still has some life left with Xbox2 (or whatever it'll be called) not hitting stores until Holiday 2005 at the earliest.

Thanks guys/gals!

Brian W.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I doubt there will be such a deal. I was hoping the X-box would price drop before the holidays, but it looks as if they are sticking with a bundle that doesn't have appealing games (for me).

Too bad.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I agree with John. Price drops are highly unlikely; you're more apt to see bundles (w/ third-party controllers and/or accessories, and/or value-priced software titles) offered at either the current price point (~$150) or perhaps slightly higher. In most cases, console bundles tend to be early bird specials and are available in limited quantities. The new Xbox bundles (w/ EA Sports NCAA Football 2005 and XSN Sports Top Spin) are currently available, and chances are that retailers will be offering bundles of their own to entice prospective customers between now and late December; just keep an eye on the weekly flyers for specials.

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Thanks guys. I actually just read about the Xbox Holiday Bundle that begins Oct. 31st w/ NCAA Football 2005 and Top Spin last week. I'll definitely be taking advantage of that deal since NCAA 2005 was one of, if not the first game I was going to buy. Top Spin doesn't do much for me, but we'll see. If I don't like it I can always trade it in or sell it down the line. I had planned to get this bundle the day after Thanksgiving and if they had any additional deals on controllers or games, it would be icing on the cake. I would assume that this bundle will be available through Christmas Eve, although no ending date was specified in what I read. But if this is a limited quantity deal, I may just go ahead and buy next week!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Or maybe not. I think prior game bundles have kept the games on the same disc, so you probably can't sell Top Spin without also selling NCAA 2005. Additionally, they tend to turn up used for around $10, so you might not get your money's worth.

I was definitely hoping for games that appealed more to me this year, but they've decidedly gone with a sports theme.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Why can't Microsoft ship a cool bundle like Nintendo? Nintendo has seen a Mario Bundle, a Zelda bundle, a Metroid bundle, and now a Mario Kart DD! Bundle.

The X-box bundles always seem to be also-rans. Of course, it's possible that NCAA is -really cool-, but it doesn't have the across the board appeal like Metroid or Mario Kart, or even Zelda classics.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

EA's NCAA Football is a consisently strong seller (usually in the top five sales-wise during the summer months, but dips in numbers once autumn rolls around). Microsoft has always aimed for an older demographic as its target audience, and they probably figure that a college football game would have the widest appeal, particularly with young adult males. Problem is, just about everyone who wanted to play a college football game would have already picked it up in July or August; with the season almost 2/3 over, there isn't much of a reason to pick this game up (hence the discounted prices being advertised for both college and NFL versions currently).

Unlike Nintendo, with the exception of Master Chief, there is no other readily identifiable characters that can assume the role of mascot, or a franchise character one can associate with the Xbox, or Microsoft, in general. Master Chief is pretty much the (only) face of the Xbox brand. Also, the Xbox isn't known for its platformers or RPGs; mostly FPS, sports and racing titles though.

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
John, what you guessed is exactly true in this case. Both games are together on one disc. I verified it on the net and on the box itself at Best Buy (they had several on the shelves Weds. even though most of what I'd read said the bundle would be available starting 10/31). Your point about the low resale value of Top Spin is also a good point. No worries, since Top Spin is supposed to be a decent game. I may have ended up keeping it anyway even if it was on a separate disc. While NCAA may not be as sharp in gameplay/graphics as either Madden 2005 or ESPN NFL 2K5, college football is my favorite sport, so this bundle is great for me! And since I don't have a current gen. system, I'm pumped. Something about Madden '95 on my Genesis, while fun in its day, just doesn't cut it now ;). I'll probably also get NFL 2K5 and/or NHL 2K5 - gotta love those $20 prices.

Anyway, while I'm a big sports fan and enjoy sports games, I'll definitely be getting Halo (and later on Halo 2), one or both of the PGR games, a fighting game or two, and some of the other "classics" (Splinter Cell, other Tom Clancy games, and on and on). The only problem is finding the money to pay for them and the time to play them. Nothing like getting to the Xbox party three years late, huh? I figure if I do get the next gen. Xbox, I'll wait a year or more for the price to drop, so I'll get some good usage out of the current one!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's always the LE crystal bundle that comes with Fable and Crimson Skies-that's not a bad combo...

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
No X-Box for me.

I owned one for about 6 months after launch and sold it for lack of games at the time.

Since I have waited this long, I will just wait for X-Box 2 to come out.

Though I will be getting the next PS and Nintendo systems as well.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Is there any special pricing consideration on this? Do you have a link? That does sound like an awesome combo. Is the unit clear?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Do you have a photo link? The only Crystal LE version I've stumbled across comes with HALO 2 included in the bundle, retails for 199 Euros and, AFAIK, a European exclusive.

HALO 2 Pack image and details

Here are pics from the French Xbox site.

I want one. :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I don't see anything wrong with MS's current bundle. I want to buy Top Spin (since it dropped to $20) and am a huge NCAA FB fan. If I didn't own an XBox already, I'd have snapped this bundle up ASAP.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
To each their own. I got stuck with Mech Assault and Knights of the Old Republic. Top Spin and NCAA FB would have been a huge upgrade for me.

Mike

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
That crystal box is very sweet. I'll still end up getting the US bundle most likely. But I'm curious - is it possible for US residents to purchase the Canadian crystal bundle online or otherwise? Will vendors only ship to Canadian addresses?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Chris:

Thanks for the info. I'll ask someone in my family to pick one up for me, seeing as they get 10% off all purchases at a major retailer. I just wish I knew about "Crimson Skies" being bundled, so I would have picked another title at last week's TRU sale. :frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm desperately searching for that Crystal Bundle. No US retailer seems to have heard of it, and only one online Canadian vendor lists it as "Coming Soon", though the link provided in this thread indicates it should be available in October.

Users who are viewing this thread