What's new

X-Box 2 will win next console battle (1 Viewer)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
here's why:

1.) sony is still pursuing over-ambitious ideas for the PS3, as they did with the "emotion engine" on the PS2, which used a proprietary CPU and VPU that shared the same RAM. This time, they are trying to implement distributed computing! We all know this will fall flat on its butt, yet they were echoing this statement even at E3 2004. This will either result in delays or a dumbed down version of the specs they wanted.

2.) The over-ambitious hardware design will be so hard to program for, all the first games will be flops.

3.) Microsoft has finally won over Japanese software developers with X-Box 1. Their hardware unit sales are now beating PS2, and their hardware is clearly superior and easier to program for. They will have strong clout with developers once they begin showing off the X-Box2 dev units.

4.) Microsoft is once again using a PC based architecture, although this time opting for dual cores, but still with a prototypical VPU by ATi, which will either be utilitizing the current R420 (X800) or upcoming R430 graphics core. This recognizable hardware configuration will allow for the maximum number of games to be developed in the shortest amount of time, including numerous PC crossovers such as KOTOR that the PS3 will not share.

5.) Microsoft has the edge in online experience. They are now the leader for online console gaming, and they have the edge in software programming and support over Sony. They have even garnered the exclusive online support of EA and Capcom. the first is tops with Americans, the second vital to Japanese.

6.) Sony will have scant few, if any, killer exclusive licenses such as Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto, or Final Fantasy anymore. Square and Konami are already in talks with X-Box, and Take two interactive will most likely pick the hardware with the higher installed base, which leads to point 7:

7.) X-Box looks set to launch first. The only reason PS2 led the last generation was b/c they launched first by a mile. The quality of software has been mostly mediocre, with VERY few standouts: FFX, MGS 2, and GTA3 / VC, which as I said above, will likely be X-Box 2 exclusives.

8.) BTW, that E3 2004 showed the state of Sony's games division, which, much like the rest of their company, has stagnated, but even more so. There was not one "ooh aahh" title to be shown. Their sales figures were not high, their online support is near to non-existent even 4 years after release, and the one exclusive they were able to show is drawing resigned sighs from most critics: MGS3. Microsoft, on the other hand, had one of the most memorable conferences of recent memory, woith the most anticipated game of the year, Halo 2, and lots of other multiplayer titles and innovative online software. And let's face it, when ppl play console games today, theya re playing X-Box. It's sports games look better, and HALO is the competition game of choice other than Madden. The brand affinity is growing by leaps and bounds.

Need I say more? Now, if X-Box 2 is late to market, which I doubt, and if Sony somehow manages to keep their exclusives, this will be a closer race, but not by much. their few exclusives this generation were MGS 3 and FFX, which have lost a lot of clout with American gamers after the mediocre quality of those titles.

I'd also like to add that I don't even own an X-Box, I bought a first-run PS2 b/c I bought Sony's hype. with the exception of GTA, the majority of their games were underwhelming. On the other hand, when i get calls to play console with friends, it's X-Box ONLY, and I cna't argue with the depth of their multiplayer titles.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
i probably got the codename wrong, b/c ATI has been going up by 20-50 or so for their codenames. Thanks for the all caps.

the point is, it's the next generation after the X800 / R420 series, MAYBE. it's possible they'll just use a tweaked core of the X800.

you didn't really respond to anything I said, btw...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

??? MGS3 is far from the only exclusive Sony title at E3. You keep referring to MGS, FFX & GTA3 as the only exclusive Sony brands this generation, yet make no mention of exclusives such as Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Dexter, SOCOM, Resident Evil Online, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry etc all of which are very big brands. Publishers like Konami & Squaresoft are always "in talks" with the hardware manufacturers, you can't draw any conclusions about exclusivity from it.

Microsoft may win the next round but not on the misleading gumpf you're posting ;)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Tony, nice thought out post. Unfortunately, it is also complete conjecture and hardcore flame bait (by the title alone.)

I think MS will do better in the next gen, but Sony likely will do just fine as well. If anything, I hold the opinion that gamers might just split, with Western gamers choosing Xbox2 and Eastern gamers preferring PS3. There is a widening disconnect between what each region prefers and Japan doesn't like to give much on these issues.

For example, lots of japanese gamers don't like Halo (or rather the tye of game - shooter FPS.) They would prefer a dating sim. Same thing with KOTOR, they would consider it vastly inferior to FFX or such. I don't begrudge them this opinion, I just saying that there is a definite gap between what we like and what they like.

I would suspect that if Halo 2 is all it seems to be and Halo 3 is announced for Xbox 2, that could be a major factor for western gamers. I think that game culture rift will likely just get wider over time.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Brian B, when I spoke of exclusive titles, I should have specificed that I meant blockbuster titles with the potential of selling a new hardware generation. No one over age 12 is going to buy a PS3 over an X-Box based on Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter, which both happen to have been overrated titles. They are a part of the market, yes, but they will not be the deciding factor, as Nintendo already owns most of that demographic, and, those age groups have less disposable income and are subject ot the whims of parents.

The titles I menation happened to have cross-culture, cross-demographic appeal, and were all cited as the main reasons for having bought a next gen console by many gamers that I know.

You also didn't address the architectures...of which we still, sadly, know little about for the PS3. Also, to say that Japan doesn't support X-Box is incorrect. They aren't all going to produce exclusive titles, but they are supporting X-Box more and more, virtually all of the major Japanese developers do. Please don't try to disregard that!

However, I think Joe Szott makes a great point that X-Box 2 may end up owning the Western market while Japan will prefer PS3. But even that may be moderated by it's hard-to-program architecture and wide-open design goals!

Also, aside from "flame bate," if we're not allowed to get excited and speculate on what system our favorite games will appear on in a Video Game forum, then where *can* I do it?

I was in exactly the opposite camp last hardware generation, and I felt comfortable in that position as I owned a PS2 and was privy to all that exclusive content, except HALO. It turned out that I was right on calling that generation, and I'm interested to see if I can read the tea leaves this time. I just feel like the stars are aligning for X-Box 2.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Its very simple really.
The winner of the next console battle will be...

Us.The gamers.
As long as there is one or two killer games that are exclusive to a particular system - then I'll own that system.

Two points in closing:
  • Your opinion on Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter being overrated...
  • I'll also point out that Nothing is finalized yet as to the specs of the systems.For all we know it could be the next Atari 5200...

;) :D

JayV

Supporting Actor

Really? Do you have any data to support this?

I imagine that there are colorable arguments out there for Xbox 2 winning the next generation of console wars. You just didn't make any.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
to all:

I made some overgeneralizations on the history of the PS2.

HOWEVER, you have to admit that the PS2's name recognition, DVD playing, and backwards compat COULD have been overcome by the X-Box coming sooner out of the gate. I think ppl are underestimating how much of an impact being first could have when backed up by consistent software.

The other thing, is it just me, or are we seeing Japanese moving away from the more typical genres like platformer, adventure, RPG? Western developers have been the only ones to innovate in these genres and others in quite some time. It seems like the only innovative games coming out of Japan are new genres like dance sim, etc.

That's why I think we could see X-Box 2 dominate in the west and PS3 in the east, like Joe said.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that Microsoft has had the most integrated and successful approach to online gaming so far...

And no, I don't think that "we win" if both systems are good! Some ppl can't afford two consoles. I was in heaven during the 16bit SNES days when one console was clearly superior, with only a few exceptions taht I could play at a friends house. That's why I'd like to see another dominant console this generation, so that developers tend to pick that one. And i think the architectures are likely going to be so different that there will be a learning curve in releasing cross-platform.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Sure it could have, but then it would have had to contend with the enormous amount of third party support Sony has for its console and still maintains to this day. I am personally glad the Xbox and the Gamecube released when they did because quite honestly the launch of the PS2 was unstoppable, even in the face of almost ZERO quality titles at launch.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
my point is, the launch of the ps2 was "unstoppable" b/c no other nextgen consoles with big name recognition were out!

There was no other unit that could play DVDs. There was no other unit with popular franchises. That will be different this generation. PPl are going to remember that Madden looked better on XBOX, that Ninja Gaiden had the best graphics of any console game ever, that Halo was the best console shooter since Goldeneye, etc. Ppl are also going to remember that most of that third party support you mentioned were turds like monster truck games and platformers whose market has shrunken or moved to Nintendo.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Again with the baseless hyperbole & flamebait.
You're doing a great impression of someone who doesn't actually know the PS2 software catalogue very well. Here's some of the top third party PS2 games (many of which are exclusive): GTA3, GTA:VC, Madden, FFX, Medal of Honor, Tony Hawk, Kingdom Hearts, NFS, Max Payne, Ace Combat, Tekken, Simpsons Road Rage, WWE, Devil May Cry, Ghost Recon, Hitman 2, The Sims,

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
You guys are all morons, everyone knows that the Phantom will be the one system to rule them all. Man I can't wait to play Read Rabbit 3D!!!!!! Halo who????

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

100% agreement with Romier, here.

But I do thnk that DVD playback, at launch time, was a big deal. I know a lot of people here (both parents and mid-20's folks) - they often went PS2 because "it was also a DVD player". I do think Sony will have less advantage this time, provided the other consoles implement backwards compatibility (another PS2 launch helper).

I think we've learned from Sega that first launch does not equal success. I actually think we will continue to have a 3-way market - there is more market for games than there used to be.

And as far as Nintendo having the "kiddie" market - give me a break. PS2 has that market by a vast majority, as well as the casual gamer market (in fact, they have a vast majority of all the markets).

No offense Xbox'ers - I know HTF is tilted pro-Xbox due to HT friendly features. But I personally am a big gamer. I have a PS2, PSone, GC, SNES, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast. You should see the tangle of cords hooked to my receiver/projector.

BUT - I still haven't gotten an Xbox. Although I've considered it for a few games (Panzer Dragoon Orta, perhaps KOTOR, online Capcom fighting games!!), I've never found a selection of games that appeal to me. FPS is very popular on consoles, esp Xbox these days - but I play those on my PC - give me my mouse & keyboard!

Where's the RPGs or Strategy games on Xbox? Very important for me.

If I can get a deal on one I may pick one up soon. And I would consider their next console (if they don't ditch the HDD).

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter

This has to be the most convoluted reasoning I've seen in this thread, and that's saying something.

Look at it this way: The PS2 owns the lion's share of the market right now, correct? That said, there are still dozens of fine, exclussive titles for it, the Xbox, and yes, even the GameCube despite that. It was true during the 16-bit era, and I suspect the same will hold true when the next generation of systems launches in the next few years.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
XBox2 is almost guaranteed to be a flop. I would put my money on PS3. I currently don't own a PS2, because I never liked it -- since it killed my beloved Dreamcast -- and I love my XBox. But what's in the pipe for the next XBox iteration is downright troubling.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

They said the same about the Xbox. Heres an idea, its a crazy one I know, but how about we actually wait until we have finalized specs for a console before we start the doomsaying and calling it a failure or a winner?

(They should rename this thread "Hyperbole: A lesson in talking out of your backside";) )

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
Romier,

You're too politically correct. :)

If XBox had been launched by any other company, that company would have declared Chapter 11 a long time ago. There is a sheer will of making it succeed, regardless of cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks