What's new

Wyatt Earp "disk rattle" (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Well I picked up the new set of "Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp". While I had never seen it before I thought it was worth a shot as a blind buy based on the premise of a continuing story arc through his life, as well as the fact that I'm sucker for western TV (even though it supposedly takes quite a few liberties regarding the facts). I very much enjoyed the first episode and the video quality was very watchable.

Now for the questionable part. The disks make a rattling vibration during playback, like no other disks I have. I tried the first three and they all had the same rattling sound. Once I got into the show I no longer noticed, but it reminds means a bit of the distraction a projector fan can be during quiet scenes. If it comes to your attention its hard not to notice.

My guess is that it has to do with the pressing. Probably creates some kind of imbalance during playback that enhances the vibration when spinning. I recall the recent Hitchcock movie set having the same complaints. I'm trying to figure out if it is somewhat of an isolated occurrence and whether I should take the time to exchange it or not or whether all pressing probably have the same issue.

Anyone else have this set and try it out? If so, did anyone else notice a louder then normal vibration from the player during playback?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Funny you should mention this problem. I don't have the Wyatt Earp Set yet, (it is on order) but more and more of these discs are having this problem, and quite frankly it is darn annoying! I am having this problem right now with Suspense Season 3, and Laramie in particular, but there are other sets that I can't think of right now. This humming vibration is very loud and completely takes away from the show. It does not seem to effect play back. It is extremely bad on Laramie, and lasts almost though entire episodes. I have tried different players with the same results. Your diagnosis of bad pressings was all that I could come up with as well. Someone posted awhile ago about Season 3 of Bones that was so bad, he thought it was going to vibrate his dvd player apart. I hope that this is not a new trend. The first time I heard it, I was ready to junk the player, but it happens on all players. It also seems to be more prevalent on the smaller label companies like Timeless and Infinity. I have been collecting and watching DVDs for years and this is clearly some new malady that is afflicting the pressings, because I have never had this issue before. It angers me.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I haven't heard this on any TV shows as yet but I hear it more and more on film titles I get from Fox and MGM. The Alfred Hitchcock Box Set and The Robe are two titles that are so bad they often won't play on the first try.

I'm curious to know what studio released Wyatt Earp.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

It appears to be a small group: Infinity/Facon Picture Group

I remember early on some thought the issue with the Hitchcock movies might be related to the packaging of the set being so tightly wrapped that it warped the disks ever so slightly. However, some with the single releases ended up experiencing the same thing.

I looked and the disks do not appear warped in any way and the packaging was a standard two disk thin pack. It just appears like the weight/balance distribution is slightly off and that at the speeds they spin at it is just enought to throw it off and create a vibration.

I bought it on a whim at BB since their price wasn't that much more then the online price. I think I will take it back this weekend for an exchange and see if I fair any better.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Please report back your findings on the new set. My theory is that it won't make any difference.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Glad I made the exchange because it sounds much better. I didn't compare it to another disk but what I do know is that I put it in two different DVD players and there was no annoying rattle to speak of.

I do think it is a manufacturing issue, my only hope was that it was based on a particular run and not all pressings. I happened to exchange at a different BB, don't know if that made a difference.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
This kind of thing happened with my Mill Creek Classic Sci-Fi TV Collection, and my Player REJECTED several discs. Fortunately those disks weren't "Copy Protected" so I made Copies of those disks, which play fine.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I thought about going the copy route, but many times these are dual layer disks so it can take twice as many DVD-R's to make the copies. Also, I just don't trust DVD-R's for long term playback. I'd like to feel that 10 years from now if I want to pop them back in that they will play fine. DVD-R's just don't give me that comfort level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks