What's new

WWE: Best of the 80's DVD match list. (1 Viewer)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
DeepDiscountDVD has this listed at a great price for a three DVD set. I think this will just be the first of many in this series because they didn't even start to scratch the most popular matches of the eighties with this set.

Paul

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
This is BEAUTIFUL!!! I remember creating a post last year wishing for something very similar to this. I hope there will be many more editions to follow! Thanks very much for sharing this news Casey. I'm definitely getting this!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Tempting, but a good chunk of this is from before even my time (I started as a fan when I was 5, in 85). It was originally said that this would have Savage vs Steamboat from Wrestemania 3, but I guess that isn't the case. If I had not just lucked in to finding an original commercial copy of Chi-Town Rumble 89, I'd be sold already.

I'm also still torn on Wrestlemania 21. I want the Hall of Fame Ceremony, to compliment last year's disc, and I must have Angle vs Michaels (honestly, the $20 is worth it for just that one match)...at the same time you just KNOW at some point they will do a best of Kurt set that will include that match.

Road Warriors set is a given, and for nostalgia's sake I must get the upcoming 2 disc Ultimate Warrior set. I only hope it will have Hogan-Warrior from Wrestlemania 6 and Warrior-Savage from Wrestlemania 7. His horrible, half hour long promos from the WCW run would seal the deal.

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator
I got to see the match between Savage and Steamboat LIVE!!! I ordered it on PPV that night back in 1987 as my first WWF ppv. Wrestling was SO good back then. PEople had YEAR long feuds. Not a new feud every month or so like now.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I'm gonna have to pick that up. Too bad they don't say when it's coming out. There's also another Flair/Dusty NWA World Title match from one of the 1986 Great American Bash cards. I have the Starrcades from 83-89 on tape, but the quality isn't the greatest so it would be great to get some of the Jim Crockett Promotions footage that's crystal clear for a change. :D

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

I couldn't agree with you more. As a kid in the 80's, wrestling was the best. The way they built up storylines was enough to make any kid chomp at the bit awaiting the climax. I remember all of the events leading up to the Hogan/Andre feud in '86/'87. When Wrestlemania III finally rolled around, myself (and literally all my friends) were on pins and needles awaiting the result. Today, it's just pathetic. With 2 shows per week and a pay-per-view every month, TWO in some cases, they don't give them time to establish a decent storyline. The old saying definitely applies here...............they don't make'em like they used to.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I cannot agree more! In the old NWA days, every time Ric Flair and Lex Luger went at it for the belt, you were assured that you were gonna get some awesome matches - and their feud went on for quite a long time! And every time it looked like Luger was inches away from winning the belt from Flair, something would always happen and Flair would retain the belt. Those were classics!

Another awesome 80's match I'd love to see again would be the phenomenal 45-minute ring war between Ric Flair and Sting. That just goes beyond words! (I caught a brief clip yesterday of Sting talking with Mark Chironna on TBN, and I had to look really hard to tell that it was Sting, he'd changed so much, with more gray in the hair than before.)

Joe*R

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone tell me what this is called on deepdiscountdvd.com. I was searching for it, but could not find a thing related to it. Thanks.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I was trying to figure out the same thing - think it's under this:

"WWE-GREATEST WRESTLING STARS OF TH"

It has no cover art, let alone the full title, but it streets on June 14. $18.88 is not bad for a 3-disc set. I'm also thinking of putting in orders for an Andre the Giant DVD and "History of Wrestlemania." They're both only $5.99. Anyone know if those DVDs are any good?
I haven't watched wrestling since I was about 8 year old, so this will be a great nostalgia fix. Although... I still have a tape of the complete Wrestlemania III somewhere - maybe I'll need to dig that one up.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
The cover art is out.

According to this website the DVD will include the Steamboat-Savage IC match at WMIII. Here is their description of the DVD.

Can this be true? Is this website reliable? Being the Steamboat mark that I am, Steamboat-Savage (WMIII) and Steamboat-Flair (Chi-Town Rumble) will make this set an absolute no-brainer purchase for me!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Anyone know of a final listing?

I have the idea that this is one of those cheap-o WWE releases a la the André the Giant DVD that came out late last year. The André the Giant DVD was just an old videotape slapped onto DVD.

John-M

Stunt Coordinator
This will be the first wrestling disc I will pick up, however, it's a shame that the other wrestling DVDs is out of print, I want to buy the other wrestling DVDs but I have to pay hefty $$$ for it! :frowning:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Once someone has this disc, or there is a review, confirming the STEAMBOAT v. RS @ WM3-- please post.

Also, does this disc give you and context to the matches? Some of these I missed (being a WWF only guy)- and might be more interested in if they give some of the backstory.

Also, will they include interviews or anything from the pre-match? I'd love to see Mean Gene Okerlund again: especially watching his lips read the cuecards along with the wrestler! I always found that hilarious and wondered why no one ever asked him to stop.

-V

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator
I should be getting a copy of it (and the Road Warriors set) by the release date. I'm guessing there will be interviews/buildup for at least some of the matches.

As far as in print and out of print stuff, I BELIEVE all of the "WWF" releases went OOP in Summer-Fall '02. Some, like Hulk Still Rules, can still be found pretty easily.

As far as stuff w/ "classic"/pre-1990ish footage that are in print and aren't budget releases, there's:

Hall of Fame - 2004 Induction Ceremony
Bloodbath: Wrestling's Most Incredible Steel Cage Matches
The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD
WWE From The Vault - Shawn Michaels (mostly '90s stuff, but includes AWA match)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks