What's new

WWDC Live Discussion Thread: All today's BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS are HERE! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
You know what was missing - any discussion at all of AT&Ts plans - pricing , etc. There were some rumors that they would reduce the monthly fee $5-$10. I guess nothing will change in that regard.

I get the distinct impression that Apple's losing patience with AT&T as a partner.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

That may very well be true about losing patience with them....BUT...the iPhone is truly a global device now. AT&T is not the only provider in the game here...globally. There are so many others from all the other countries in the world...it really would not be appropriate to announce to a world audience and just be talking about the North American carrier and their plan/pricing structure when that does not apply to the other 79 countries around the world. (Except in cases where they would have to single them out for not supporting features of their new device). They may be distancing themselves and let AT&T fall on their own sword here...but still...Apple should stick to the hardware and software announcements and let the individual carriers do their own schtick on the service and plan pricing. In my opinion.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Really wasn't trying to play "gotcha" on you Carlo. The importance of the FW to the "pro" audience isn't just in external drives. I do a lot of audio work, and a FW interface is preferable because it doesn't task the CPU as much as USB interfaces do. For people that do multitrack recording it's essential. Another audience - pro photogs who use fast FW-based UDMA Compact Flash readers. That's why I say the FW port is essential to the smaller MB being branded a "Pro".

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

They have indeed.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The Apple site has just been updated.

The online store is up as well - and you can pre-order your 3GS for delivery on 6/19!!! No lines!!

Edit: It's a little bogged down right now. The order process has to validate your eligibility for the subsidized price.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I understand. I'm a Pro Tools 8 user myself (M-Audio Firewire 410) so I really do "get" you. ;)

So I agree, those in our situations, yes the Firewire is make or break in a lot of respects.

But to my thinking, and putting aside the firewire issue, for "the masses" the distinction between the Macbook and Pro line has always been more than just enclosure. The Pro line has always had better video, often employing a separate GPU whereas the MB had the integrated video. And this I think is still true with the newly christened 13" MBP vs. 15"/17" MBP--although I just checked and the lowest 15" MBP now shares VRAM, a disappointing step down for that line IMO as separate GPU/VRAM has always been a strength for the MBP, but clearly a cost cutting move to lower the MSRP.

Another differentiating point between the MB/MBP was the 7200rpm HD CTO option, which I think still exists.

These are the reasons why I was saying this move by Apple is mostly a "rebrand" as opposed to bringing up the aluminum 13' Macbook to the 15/17" Macbook Pro standard. If anything, it looks like they may be dumbing down the 15" to bring that down to the old Macbook level to justify the rebrand across the board along with the "price cut".

For those of us who still want the old Macbook Pro standard of separate GPU/VRAM, it's still $1999.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Total agreement on the importance of Firewire. Not to mention Firewire target mode: the a spectacularly useful tool.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am ordering my iPhone now.

$18 Upgrade and $18 Activation Fee? Crikey!

Trying to order the 32GB white but the servers are S-L-O-W

Thank God I don't have to stand on line this time out.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Well, crap. I just bought a 3G so I won't be able to upgrade for a while. :frowning:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, Engadget is saying you will pay $200 more for the 3GS if you're in "mid-contract". No details on what that exactly means. I'm still on the contract I started at the end of June 2007. I guess worst case for me is I have to wait a couple of weeks. Folks who upgraded to the 3G last year may be screwed.

AT&T just plain SUCKS.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I find it impossible to believe that tethering won't come to AT&T eventually, the question is when and at what price.

I suspect that they are living in fear that Apple will sell tens of millions of the $99 iPhones and bring their network to its knees, the way it was in NYC in the weeks following the iPhone 3G release. Once they know they have survived I suspect that tethering will be announced -- it is a major revenue stream, why say no? I suspect the MMS delay is similarly motivated.

I did sound like AT&T is in Apple's doghouse.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I haven't checked the live blog coverage, but one cute thing -- and the biggest surprise for me -- was watching the "1" in "$129" hop out of the price using Keynote animation to the low low price of $29 for Snow Leopard. I wonder if that factored into how they picked that price.

Also, when they introduced MMS for the iPhone, they threw all the participating carrier logos on screen, and everyone was craning their heads trying to spot AT&T. No joy. So when they did it again for Tethering, it was actually kinda funny, that AT&T sucks so badly
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Still in the process of ordering.

There is a small discrepancy on the Apple website concerning delivery.

It says DELIVERED JUNE 19th.

However, there is a drop-down box that offers faster delivery service
which doesn't make sense.

Is the FREE STANDARD SHIPPING guaranteeing a June 19th delivery?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Their servers are struggling. I can't even get past the first screen.

I hope Palm enjoyed their 2 days of being the hot new toy in town...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay her is the deal...

According to an Apple online agent and a phone rep I got similar answers...

The STANDARD FREE SHIPPING may very well get you your iPhone
delivered on the 19th or the following week.

However, the expedited shipping (up to $16 extra) will guarantee it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
store.apple.com says that you can reserve it for in store pickup on the 19th -- so if you work/live near an Apple store and want to get it on the 19th that may be the best option. Unfortunately Apple's server is hosed. I'll try again later.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay...

Just got my order confirmation and I think it will shed some light
on the STANDARD vs. OVERNIGHT/2 DAY SHIPPING.

The receipt I received says:

Ships: June 19th (FRI)
Delivers: June 22nd (MON)

That is with $16 overnight delivery.

So, chances are, those who selected STANDARD shipping will not
receive their phones till days later.

However, Apple is known in the past for shipping their stuff OVERNIGHT
no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks