What's new

WWDC Live Discussion Thread: All today's BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS are HERE! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Full Exchange support in Snow Leopard.

This will guarantee I'll update on release date. Normally I hold off because it takes time for Digidesign to certify the newest OS for Pro Tools (which I use for music creation). However I use the laptop more for work than fun [unfortunately] so I will be updating to Snow Leopard ASAP to get Exchange support and just hope that PT8 will continue to work on it. If not, I can use PT8 on my Vista box (ugh) while waiting for Digidesign to patch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam, don't jinx it!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If this were Jobs's announcement, he'd probably hold it off as a "One more thing"...:laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now the iPhone:

* To date 40M iPhones/iPod Touches sold
* To date 1B apps downloaded
* Now more than 50,000 apps on the App Store

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Landscape mode improvements /yawn

MMS improvements, yay! The dipshits at AT&T won't be able to until late summer. That's the first time I've heard of someone actively BOOOing at an apple keynote.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Announcing the new iPhone 3.0 Update:

- Available June 17th. FREE for iPod users. $9.99 for iTouch users.

OS 3.0 update with 100 new features that include:

* MMS: one app to send text and multimedia
* Cut/copy/paste/undo (works across all apps)
* Landscape mode in Mail/Notes/Messages, MMS support
* Enhancements to iTunes -- rent and purchase movies, TV shows, music and audiobooks right from your phone.
* No WiFi in area? Share WiFi from iPhone to Laptop
* Tethering Support
* Autofill: optionally remember your usernames and passwords to easily log into your favorite websites
* iPhone OS 3.0 runs javascript 3x faster than iPhone OS 2.2.1
* Peer to Peer Gaming automatically and seamlessly finds other player and gaming begins.

* "Find My iPhone" a service available only to MobileMe customers on iPhone OS 3.0. If you lose your phone,
you can log into MobileMe on any web browser and it'll show you on a map where your phone is via Google Map.
* If your phone is lost or stolen, you can send it a remote wipe command that will delete all of your data (mail, contacts, etc).
Once you find phone it will be restored from a backup. Books download directly through the app. Readers can copy a part
of the book and email it without ever leaving the application

* The SDK that comes with 3.0 brings a thousand APIs, including In App Purchase that allows vendor transactions
from within the app.
* Cocoa touch control to allow you to embed Google Map service including satellite right into your app.
* Push text alerts, numerical badges for homescreen icon, and custom alert sounds.

The 3.0 updates allow such new exciting software as:

* ScrollMotion -- creates digital books for the App Store. Books download directly through the app. Readers can copy a
part of the book and email it without ever leaving the app.
* Tom Tom turn-by-turn Map directions. The improved accessory framework allows a more accurate GPS, speakerphone,
the ability to play iPhone media on car stereo, and even charges it.
* "Plus Network" -- head-to-head play anytime, anywhere. The game is launching today for $5.99
* Spark application allows students can connect Pasco sensors to collect, display, analyze science data.
* Zipcar is the leading car sharing services with over 300,000 members and cars all over the US and UK.
Zipcar app locates you and shows you all the available zipcars near you via embedded Google Maps.
* Line 6/Planet created an app that allows users to control their guitar and amp from your iPhone.
Adjust parameters and knobs, control what digital model you want to play.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"76 countries will support MMS at launch -- AT&T not until later this summer)"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guess I deserved having that deleted. Sorry. That's really ridiculous tho
Edit: Board made it look like my post was deleted. I edited it myself tho. I'm REALLY angry over this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"If your phone really is lost or stolen, you can send it a remote wipe command that will delete all of your data (mail, contacts, etc). If you do find the phone, it will be restored from a backup."

good one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Preciate it Ron, I shouldnt be so childish over this stuff but this and the lack of Blu support are two ridicilous thing so far in the huge bag of other love of great things Apple has opened today so far.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Lots of great stuff so far, but most of it "known" from pre-WWDC predictions and rumors. Still, I'm not disappointed---although I do understand Sam's frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread