What's new

WWDC 2011 Live Discussion Thread 6/6/11 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
$29.99 for Lion. Available only on Mac App Store, need about 4GB of space, and you can use it on all of your authorized devices. Wow.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Try refreshing Dave, if that doesn't work clear the cache and reload the page. I was having the same problem but now it's fixed.

Originally Posted by DaveF

Yes, but I want to go back to the beginning and start from there...the system is not going through its history correctly.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
An hour and 10 minutes to get to something of substance: Wireless Syncing.

So far both Microsoft and Apple are having the worst keynotes in my memory. Both are terribly boring.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I give up. The blogs aren't working for me (they need a better live blog tool). It's hopping content erratically. I'll read the summary here later. :)

But I did see that Apple's got another "Spaces" tool. Is this still a worthless application-centric design? Or did they make it right, with a document-centric approach?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is how you gain customer trust, you admit your mistakes with grace and honesty. It may take Apple a while but when they do it they do it right.

"Mobile Me was not our finest hour"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just paid $99 for MobileMe renewal last month so I am
wondering how they will credit me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Via @dcurtis:

Apple just pissed off: Dropbox, Sparrow, Instapaper, Readability, Remember the Milk, Facebook, RIM, & the carriers. Well done. --- Add in Google!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam, in response to your post above...

Apple has just put a lot of people out of business.

Those are excellent examples.

Additionally, most of the popular Jailbreak apps have

now been introduced into iOS 5.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
iTunes Match has possibilities, I wonder if it will let me convert the $1000 I have in DRM wrapped iTunes tracks to cloud based free downloads as part of the $25

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excuse my language for my overall enthusiasm here....

Apple just announced a shit storm of innovative software

products that are going to leave a lot of manufacturers in

the dust trying to catch up to it.

To this day, nobody can rock this industry like Apple.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
With iTunes Match, Apple just landed a swift kick in the balls to both Amazon & Google. Those companies took a chance in announcing their "music-in-the-cloud" services without music industry support. Said services are now already obsolete.

I own over 3000 CDs which I have ripped to my iTunes library. $25 a year to have them accessible from any of my iOS devices anywhere? Hell to the Yeah!!

Everything in Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud looks great. Beyond my expectations, honestly, and this is the first Apple announcement since the iPhone where I can say that. One of the things I am most excited about is delta updares. This is LONG overdue. As someone stuck with slow, crappy DSL this is going to be a godsend.

The only thing I am less than enthusiastic about is Lion only available through the App Store. A 4GB download on my DSL is going to be painful. Even worse, I am responsible to maintaining the show control Mac at the theater where I am principle sound designer. This Mac is deliberately kept off the internet because you can't have changes happening to your system in the middle of a run. There are lots of Macs in situations like this, and these are now left out of the Lion party. Hopefully Apple will relent and provide some way to obtain a DVD of Lion for these systems.

But that's one negative in a whole lot of positives. Way to go, Apple!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks