What's new

WTC to remain on AI DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
According to Reel.com the twin towers will not be removed from the DVD release of AI. Excellent news! Here's an exerpt:
quote: Spielberg spokesperson Marvin Levy and DreamWorks DVD publicist Missy Davy both said there are no plans to erase the towers. Levy said that the issue came up just after the September 11 attacks on the buildings, and that a decision to keep them was made quickly after this. Besides, says Levy, "They're seen 2,000 years into the future. Who knows what will be built in the future?" (A.I. was released theatrically by Warner Bros., but DreamWorks has the domestic DVD rights.)[/quote]
You can read the whole article at: http://www.reel.com/reel.asp?node=mo...l&pageid=18669
Keep scrolling down.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on October 13, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
WHY in the WORLD would anyone want to erase the WTC from a movie that has already been released (theatrically, if not on home video)?!
Do actors get erased if they meet with an untimely and tragic end? (I'm talking about after the filming is done and the feature released, not actors that die during filming)
Besides my opinion that you shouldn't remove a building that no longer happens to stand, I see any attempt to erase the WTC as an attempt to forget it, which NO ONE should ever do!
Jim
[Edited last by Jim A. Banville on October 13, 2001 at 01:04 PM]

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
Considering the WTC is visible for a grand total of something like 5-8 seconds, I fail to see why anyone would want to waste the effort erasing them, not to mention butchering some of the most beautiful CG effects in the movie.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm glad that Dreamworks did the right thing. I watched A.I. again last week, and seeing those towers made the film even more touching.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I suppose this question is gonna keep arising with new releases, but it is correct that it would be foolish to try to erase something already viewed by people. You can't make all the images of the WTC disappear with a snap of a finger and how long will it be before those shots act as a means of therapy? They should be left in.
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
All I can say is "good." If something horrible happened in every American city, we'd have nothing to see on a lot of movies if that mentality held up.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Thank God,
Hopefully this is the start of some sanity and calmness returning to the Entertainment Industry after these horrible occurrences. I was beginning to fear that things were going to get so out of hand, that next they would start trimming and cutting up more films.
King Kong (1976) For example. The movie would just not be the same without Kong's final moments atop the WTC towers. Digital technology is a wonderful thing, but unless its used just for restoring a film to its original glory, hands off.
Yes, 9/11/01 was a tragic day for the entire world, but by removing the WTC towers from films, we are simply trying to erase the pain. And chopping up movies, and TV shows, is not the way to do it. In fact if you look at rental patterns, rentals of terrorist themed films went up, many finding them a relief of not being able to see the people responsible get what they deserve.
Ok, sorry for ranting so much on my first post, just felt I needed to say my peace before I start talking about more lighthearted topics.
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike Cameron
[Edited last by Mike Cameron on October 13, 2001 at 04:43 PM]
[Edited last by Mike Cameron on October 13, 2001 at 04:45 PM]
[Edited last by Mike Cameron on October 13, 2001 at 04:53 PM]

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Mike:
Welcome to the HTF.
I wholeheartedly agree. Every evening my wife and I are usually watching Friends, and during the scene shifts they usually show the Manhattan skyline, and the WTC towers are ever present. To me it's like having a treasured photo of a departed loved one.
A. I. is the best movie of 2001.
------------------
"For Montagar, forever!"

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Good to see common sense winning out for once...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
That's great news.
Now if we could only convince Spielberg to leave E.T alone.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add my kudos to Dreamworks/Spielberg for not altering A.I. Removing the WTC towers is absolutely unnecessary. In fact, it would basically be a slap in the face to those affected by the atrocities of 9-11 to remove all references to the WTC. Revisionist history we don't need.
Lars,
If I could answer for Nate, there are many rumors about Spielberg's desire to digitally remove all of the guns from E.T., possibly replacing them with walkie-talkies or cell phones.
I don't have the links to hand, but if you do a search I'm sure you can find several threads related to the topic here.

They should never be removed from any movie that they appeared in. It's like if they "erase" it from film, they will "erase" tragedy from our minds. They towers should remain as a memorial to those that survived and died.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Was this actually even a real issue? It's seems rather odd to even consider this to me. Or is this just the media blowing things out of proportion again? Just wondering...
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"WTC to remain on AI DVD!"
As it should!
Erasing it from a movie doesn't erase it from our memories.
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks