What's new

WTB - Tweeter For PSB 4T (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
My old 4T tweeter went out and so i thought id ask if anyone had a replacement, maybe an old 4T or similar that isnt working but has a good tweeter.

Tweeter has PN in back:
TW1-2AN/P

Its circular with 4 screw holes

Thanks

[email protected]

SaabsDone

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
I have found the perfect replacement, well, sort of. I have a pair of PSB 4T speakers I bought new. After they were out of warranty, one of the tweeters stopped working. I purchased an OEM replacement from PSB for about $50+. Then several months later the tweeter in the other speaker stopped working. Another $50+ for a tweeter from PSB. Then just recently a 3rd tweeter quit working. I do not listen to music at loud levels. I firmly believe that these tweeters have a manufacturing defect. I have seen posts of others with blown PSB Image tweeters. I have never blown a driver in 40 years of speaker use. Well, let get back on track.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1028 This Vifa tweeter from parts Express is a perfect drop-in fit, down to the screw holes. A pretty good match for the crossover point. Nice sound compared to the original tweeters. The only problem is they are very efficient. SPL: 96 dB 2.83V/1m. The PSB 4T is listed as SPL 90 db 2.83V/1M. Don't get me wrong. They sound good, just more "forward" sounding. But at $11.95 vs. $50, you can't go wrong. At least to my ears.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
SaabsDone said:
I have found the perfect replacement, well, sort of. I have a pair of PSB 4T speakers I bought new. After they were out of warranty, one of the tweeters stopped working. I purchased an OEM replacement from PSB for about $50+. Then several months later the tweeter in the other speaker stopped working. Another $50+ for a tweeter from PSB. Then just recently a 3rd tweeter quit working. I do not listen to music at loud levels. I firmly believe that these tweeters have a manufacturing defect. I have seen posts of others with blown PSB Image tweeters. I have never blown a driver in 40 years of speaker use. Well, let get back on track.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1028 This Vifa tweeter from parts Express is a perfect drop-in fit, down to the screw holes. A pretty good match for the crossover point. Nice sound compared to the original tweeters. The only problem is they are very efficient. SPL: 96 dB 2.83V/1m. The PSB 4T is listed as SPL 90 db 2.83V/1M. Don't get me wrong. They sound good, just more "forward" sounding. But at $11.95 vs. $50, you can't go wrong. At least to my ears.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up getting two tweeters from PSB, which totaled around $120 with shipping. How would you say the soft dome you bought compares in sound to the metal dome PSB tweeter?

SaabsDone

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Not sure if you are still out there, I've been busy. I do prefer the sound of the Vifa soft dome tweeter. I ended up soldering a 1.8 ohm resistor in series with each tweeter to decrease the output by about 4db, and also to better match the resistance of the Vifa to the OEM tweeter. The Image 4t never sounded better.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
SaabsDone said:
Not sure if you are still out there, I've been busy. I do prefer the sound of the Vifa soft dome tweeter. I ended up soldering a 1.8 ohm resistor in series with each tweeter to decrease the output by about 4db, and also to better match the resistance of the Vifa to the OEM tweeter. The Image 4t never sounded better.
Thanks for the update.

J0lle

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon-Ivar
Sorry for bringing this up again, but i just bought a couple of Image 6T and one of the tweeters are blown.. i have searched around the web and it seems this is a huge problem, atleast for many.
Its also pretty expensive to get the originals up here in Norway.. up to 100 usd + shipping for each.
I have no soldering knowledge and would greatly appreciate any help/hints/etc from you guys :)
Thanks!

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Good to finally see some replies :)

I still havnt gotten around to replacing these tweeters.

Thanks for the shopping tips and the hint about the resister. I may try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks