What's new

WSJ: iPad 3 with Retina Display early 2012 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by TonyD

I'm not sure how it would connect to 3G before it was set up and running.
It could use the 3G network to connect to the server to issue the activation command, enabling full data access. The "activation" is a billing formality, not an installation of hardware and drivers to physically enable 3G.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten [url=/t/314060/wsj-ipad-3-with-retina-display-early-2012/30#post_3894131]

Do a google search, nobody else seems to have this issue that I can see. If you find others please post examples because this sounds like operator error to me the way you are describing it...
Here's what I know: Home wifi was turned off. Wife went to iPad Settings to turn on 3G. Did not work. Gave a no-data-access error. Got home wifi back on, and iPad on wifi, and 3G could then be turned on.

The implication is that if you're on the road, and decide you'd like your iPad to have data, you're sunk. At least until you can stop at a McDonald's or Starbucks, get on wifi, and then turn on 3G. That's bad design. Maybe it's an unusual glitch that hit my wife's device. I've not spent any time looking into it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sounds like a glitch. As I mentioned, after the first time I turned on 3G with a wifi connection I can turn on 3g anytime and anywhere. On the first time... I'm not sure how it is supposed to work on the iPad, I only know it wouldn't work the first time without a wifi connection.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just for a quick test i turned off wifi. I dont have a 3G plan right now so with wifi off I went in to try and add one. I logged in and went right to the page to add a plan. Worked.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
TonyD said:
I'm not sure how it would connect to 3G before it was set up and running.
It is smart enough to have an unregistered process. Just like phones can connect to 911 when they are unregistered. This isn't new. All that's new is not requiring a computer to register and everything you need is taken care of in the panels provided. Even if you don't have wifi. Trust me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
The implication is that if you're on the road, and decide you'd like your iPad to have data, you're sunk. At least until you can stop at a McDonald's or Starbucks, get on wifi, and then turn on 3G. That's bad design. Maybe it's an unusual glitch that hit my wife's device. I've not spent any time looking into it. 
I assure you this was a glitch or operator error. The iPad is fully capable of registering itself without being tethered to a computer and without already being on WIFI. Again, trust me, this is not an issue or you'd have heard about it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of the interesting things I have heard over the
past few days is that (I believe) Verizon is going to

come up with a plan that allows you to share your

data plan between your iPhone and iPad.

It is anticipated AT&T might follow that route.

The plan could cost an extra $10 a month.

Now, if they allow you to share your unlimited

data plan between both devices for an extra $10

a month, then you can be certain I'll be the first
in line to sign up for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

One of the interesting things I have heard over the
past few days is that (I believe) Verizon is going to

come up with a plan that allows you to share your

data plan between your iPhone and iPad.

There were rumors last year of a Family Data Plan

http://gigaom.com/mobile/verizon-confirms-family-data-plans-coming-in-2012/

This might be of the same total plan.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam Posten said:
It is smart enough to have an unregistered process. Just like phones can connect to 911 when they are unregistered. This isn't new. All that's new is not requiring a computer to register and everything you need is taken care of in the panels provided. Even if you don't have wifi. Trust me.
I do trust you. I can only offer my experience and apparently Dave's too that the initial attempt to sign up for a 3G didn't work. No connection went through. Now that I have done that I can connect to 3G even with my account expired.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is interesting but too immature a tech for iPad 3, maybe iPad4. Apple doesn't have their own chip foundries, they would need to have existing foundries massively scale up for this and no way they could do it in time for an early 2012 iPad3 launch, and they HAD there is no way they could have kept something this transformative as secret as they have so far. But I'd LOVE to hear MattCR's take on it ;) http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/02/apples-macroscalar-architecture-will-it-take-ios-to-the-next-level.html

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was thinking more Minotron, but sure. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minotron-2112/id421377889?mt=8 Actually I have no idea what that is ;) The WSJ has a pair of doozies today. First up they say 4g is a definite go. OK I'll buy that. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204062704577221960347109978.html And then they say that Apple is continuing to 'test' smaller iPads, I think this is red herring or leak tests personally, but you never know: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204795304577222354104574994.html

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Far more likely for them to upsize the ipod touch than downsize ipad

What's the (real) diff unless you're saying they will stop producing either iPod Touch or iPad at their current sizes if/when they do that? I suppose if they're replacing either, it would definitely make more sense to upsize the iPod Touch (rather than downsize the iPad) since the iPhone already fills the need (for the most part) at the smaller form factor.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I guess I might also prefer a slightly smaller iPad though it's not clear whether that makes sense from Apple's perspective.

_Man_

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
TBH, I'd rather have a inch larger iPhone and my iPad stay the same. While I have an idea for the perfect size for an iPad, I'm perfectly happy with it's current size. I'm not happy with the iPhone size.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hehheh... As I mentioned in the past, what I'd *really* want is some sort of plug-and-play core module to go w/ a bunch of different human interface modules so I can easily and effectively swap between different form factors, phone-type usage vs non-phone-type usage, etc. etc. But it probably won't be easy/feasible anytime soon, so that's really just a pipe dream...

I mean we're already getting a taste of that w/ at-home streaming over WiFi, BT headsets and other "hands-free" stuff, etc, so...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks