What's new

WSJ goes on record with rumors saying bigger iPhones coming this year (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apparently AMEX payments is a done deal, so something is happening whether it is piggybacking on NFC or not:
]quote]While consumers haven’t widely embraced mobile wallets from Google and a consortium of wireless carriers, industry analysts and executives believe Apple has a shot at making the concept work. Industry sources say Apple believes its iPhone payments system will be as least as secure as traditional payment cards. Sources believe the iPhone’s Touch ID fingerprint scanner[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);] will at some point play a role in the system — either at launch or sometime in the future.[/quote][/color]
http://recode.net/2014/08/31/apple-9-9/

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Touch ID will have to be greatly improved if they want to integrate it like that. It is a cool concept, but very flawed in execution, so much so that I got tired of relearning new fingerprints every 4-5 days and completely gave up using touch ID on my 5s.I even tried learning 5 different scans of the same finger and it still stops reading after not quite a week and I have to delete the finger prints and start over. My wife's 5s is the same way. So far that is the only thing I was disappointed in with my 5s.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Clinton McClure said:
Touch ID will have to be greatly improved if they want to integrate it like that. It is a cool concept, but very flawed in execution, so much so that I got tired of relearning new fingerprints every 4-5 days and completely gave up using touch ID on my 5s.I even tried learning 5 different scans of the same finger and it still stops reading after not quite a week and I have to delete the finger prints and start over. My wife's 5s is the same way. So far that is the only thing I was disappointed in with my 5s.
What problems do you have? TouchID is essentially flawless for me and my wife. Never retrained it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Since I bought the phone, my fingerprints only work for less than a week. I can retrain my fingerprints and my phone unlocks flawlessly every time for about 4-5 days then it stops unlocking and I have to enter my passcode to unlock. I once again have to delete my prints, retrain them and they only work for another 4-5 days before suddenly failing. The home button sensor is clean and I always make sure to completely touch the metal ring around the button with my finger. My wife's phone displays the same issue as well as several coworkers' and friends' 5s phones running iOS 7.1.2.Online research has revealed a plethora of complaints about the exact same or similar problems with touch ID. It's a good biometric device when it works but it is still too hit and miss to really be useful to me right now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That would be very frustrating. I've read that the TouchID has problems with some percentage of people; and some people have fingerprints not amenable to its scheme. I wonder if your problems are a hardware problem with the phone (that is, your phone is not as well made as mine); or if your fingerprints are of a form that are not interpretable by the current algorithm?

As it starts off fine and then degrades for you, my guess is there's a software problem.

Have you requested warranty service for a bad fingerprint reader? I wonder what Apple's policy is.

I wish you were close by. We would cross train on each others' iPhones and see what happens. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam, your definitive BS replies leads me to think you have inside access
to Apple's plans.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, but anytime an article cites digitimes or supply chain you can toss it in the trash with the possible exception of the case manufacturers who sometimes get blanks ahead of time and the repairers who sometimes get -possible- components early. NONE of that has any effect pro or con to announcement timetables.Also keep in mind that a lot of this is driving Apple back to America and keeping stuff in house. I'm not rah rah on buy American at all cost but I see this as a good thing for American manufacturing overall. Control the whole stack!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten said:
No. Late October is my guess.
And in this corner is Ming Chuo saying we'll see iPad air 2:http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/04/ipad-air-2-anti-reflective-display/He's been accurate but not infallible in the past. I hope he is wrong, could use a few months between phone and iPad launches $$$ wise but if it's true I will be upgrading on day one just for the anti-reflective screen should that also be real.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
I'd guess that if there were constrained supplies, Apple would ship in limited quantities on schedule. As they've done for previous phones like the iPhone 4 and even the 5s.These all-or-nothing rumors are ridiculous sounding, and ignore simple past examples.
I'll just quote myself since it's the second verse, same as the first...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And in this corner is Ming Chuo saying we'll see iPad air 2:http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/04/ipad-air-2-anti-reflective-display/He's been accurate but not infallible in the past. I hope he is wrong, could use a few months between phone and iPad launches $$$ wise but if it's true I will be upgrading on day one just for the anti-reflective screen should that also be real.
I've got an unfunded mandate to buy a new iPad this fall. So I want the release ASAP. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks