What's new

Wreck-It Ralph - quick review (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same. I've already been to it a second time, and liked it even more. Another clear winner!

phulman

Auditioning
Real Name
patrick hulman
I have to second what others have said. I like it enough to go see it again (in 2d this time so i could compare and contrast it).I have to say i liked the 3d version of this film more then others. Thanks for so much for allowing us to see this film before it was released into theaters. it was a great cap for our stay at Disney animations.

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
Quick review: Inverse ratio of Jane Lynch to Sarah Silverman for best movie ever! Also, the songs during the credits seemed to be in the opposite order they deserved.
Once I got home from Burbank, I took all my friends to see this. We filled a row. Enjoyed by all, even if they agreed with my above assessment.
The 3D was flawless.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
It was truly a treat to have the film's producer come and talk to us after just finishing up this big project. His pride in the accomplishment was truly deserved. Loved the movie and the quality and variety of the animation styles in it. Thanks Disney for the sneak preview a week before the movie opened.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was a terrific movie; fun for the kids and the adults. My kids have been running around banging their fists down on things, saying "Wreck it Ralph!" Glad to see non-Pixar Disney animation doing such great work.

mjrush

Premium
Real Name
Mac Rush
The best part about being at the Disney Studios…was being at the Disney Studios. The walk from the parking garage to the meeting place turned into a kind of informal, self-guided tour of the lot. The buildings have that wonderful, 1930s-era architecture—but with a few whimsical twists. The facade of one structure features the 7 Dwarfs with their arms raised, as if they are propping up the upper floors of the building.
After eating breakfast in an open courtyard, we went into the screening room to view Wreck It Ralph in 3-D. This animated movie stars video game characters, but Ralph, Felix, and the rest of the quirky citizens of this universe are alternately funny and poignant. And you don’t have to be a video game fan to enjoy the film.
If Disney’s California Adventure hadn’t already installed Toy Story Mania, the wonderfully fun interactive dark ride, it would have been a good place for a Wreck It Ralph one. Maybe another Disney park will take the plunge.
Jan and Mac

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Wreck it Ralph was a fun movie. We (HTF) got to see the movie one week after completion and with an introduction by Clark Spencer, the producer. How cool is that? Thanks, Disney for allowing us the opportunity to see the movie at your studio. I'll get this on Blu-ray for sure.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I too got to see this at the HTF event at Disney Animation. It is probably my favorite Digitally Animated movie. I think it helps that I was an 8 bit gamer and so I felt right at home. The added benefit of getting the introduction by Clark Spencer was great. He clued us into to some things to look for, like the different color pallets and styles used for the 4 different areas of the movies world. This sort of thing is really cool to me and I enjoyed hearing it from someone deeply involved.
Thanks to to folks over at Disney for hosting us. It was a great time.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Getting the opportunity to see Wreck It Ralph prior to release was fantastic!
The introduction by Mr. Spencer was very cool and I really wished we had more time to hear from him and perhaps ask some questions about the production. I would have been especially interested in hearing about how they managed to get approval for all the characters from other video games to be in the movie. To many to mention but seeing QBert! was especially funny. I also really laughed out loud at the "bad guys support group" truly a great moment.
I took my 6 year old grandson to see Wreck It Ralph the day it came out and he really loved it. I will definitely be picking this one up on release day.
Thanks again to Disney and the team for a great visit!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
We saw this yesterday afternoon (in 2-D) and all agreed we had seen better. Well animated but a thin story. Our young son summed it up by telling us he didn't want the Blu-ray/DVD - very unusual!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Keith Cobby
We saw this yesterday afternoon (in 2-D) and all agreed we had seen better. Well animated but a thin story. Our young son summed it up by telling us he didn't want the Blu-ray/DVD - very unusual!
Hey, someone else who found the movie to be mediocre! I thought I was alone!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am curious about something. I was wondering if those who didn't really love Wreck-it Ralph were gamers in the past or not. I always wondered if how a person feels about gaming, shapes thier view of this movie. This was my worry when I heard about this movie. I have always been a gamer, so of course I loved this movie. But I wonder if my gaming past makes me see it in a different light. Does the fact that it is an Animated/Disney movie give it a more broad appeal?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott-S said:
I am curious about something. I was wondering if those who didn't really love Wreck-it Ralph were gamers in the past or not. I always wondered if how a person feels about gaming, shapes thier view of this movie. This was my worry when I heard about this movie. I have always been a gamer, so of course I loved this movie. But I wonder if my gaming past makes me see it in a different light. Does the fact that it is an Animated/Disney movie give it a more broad appeal?
I can't stand video games anymore (the last video game system I bought was the first X-Box and it was years after it had come out, was super cheap and I barely ever played it) and I thought Wreck-It-Ralph was really good. I'm sure game fans are probably more likely to enjoy the movie but it's definitely not a requisite because video games are a setup for the story more than anything else.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott-S
I've played video games essentially since they existed. I was a teen when arcades became a big deal and threw many quarters into games like "Donkey Kong". I've owned multiple consoles over the years and have been a moderately active player for more than 30 years.
I love video games and I love Disney - ergo, I should love this movie. But I don't - I still think it's flat and without much charm...

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Somme information is starting to float around about a potential sequel. One potential the director is exploring is other Ralph titles showing up, and in particular other entries. It's clearly inspired by Toy Story 2 (which the director freely acknowledges), but the video game nature of the movie opens up some really fun options not seen with a toy. Look at the various interpretations of Mario in mainline 3D platform games vs the 2D platform games vs the sports titles (especially Mario Strikers) vs Smash Bros for some of the ways they could play with the character.

It's definitely something I'd see. I wish I liked Wreck-It Ralph more than I do. It's executed well, but there are a lot of parts that fall flat and I suspect will age very poorly (the insult trade-offs between Ralph and Venellope are particularly egregious) and overall I felt like it never met its potential. My 3-year-old loves it, which counts for something, but as much as I was anticipating the movie beforehand I couldn't help being let down in the end.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Chris Farmer said:
Somme information is starting to float around about a potential sequel. One potential the director is exploring is other Ralph titles showing up, and in particular other entries. It's clearly inspired by Toy Story 2 (which the director freely acknowledges), but the video game nature of the movie opens up some really fun options not seen with a toy. Look at the various interpretations of Mario in mainline 3D platform games vs the 2D platform games vs the sports titles (especially Mario Strikers) vs Smash Bros for some of the ways they could play with the character.

It's definitely something I'd see. I wish I liked Wreck-It Ralph more than I do. It's executed well, but there are a lot of parts that fall flat and I suspect will age very poorly (the insult trade-offs between Ralph and Venellope are particularly egregious) and overall I felt like it never met its potential. My 3-year-old loves it, which counts for something, but as much as I was anticipating the movie beforehand I couldn't help being let down in the end.
So the first one remade "Toy Story" and the second will remake "TS2". Sounds logical! :lol:

Like you, I'll see it, but I can't say I'll look forward to it. Also like you, I wanted to like "WIR" but thought it was only okay...

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I liked it, but wanted to love it and just couldn't, and that hasn't changed with [many] repeat viewings. Tangled and Princess and the Frog both really grew on me the more times I saw them (thanks Michelle!). The former I still think struggles out the gate until after the scene at the Snuggly Duckling (which I find is the low point) but never puts a foot wrong after that, while the latter I simply flat-out underrated the first time I saw it. WIR I still feel identical to the first time I saw it: some really funny scenes, some great video game shout-outs, but character growth is quite limited (Ralph and Felix both gain extra insight but remain fundamentally unchanged, Calhoun is the only one that grows and not coincidentally she's also my favorite character in the movie). I think it's the lack of meaningful character arcs plus the endless potty humor that really detracts from the movie.

As for the Toy Story comparison, that shows exactly where WIR blew it. Woody and Buzz both finish the movie fundamentally changed from where they started. Felix understand Ralph a bit better, Ralph accepts his place in the world, but both are still who they were. And that's why Toy Story is a vastly better movie than WIR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks