What's new

Wow! I didn't expect this: I think I'm done w/ analog amps (receiver or separates) (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I think we are all going to find, that similar to analog amps, you get what you pay for. Those Bel Canto digital amps are way nice, but they are also almost as expensive as the analog amps they compete with.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
well this thread has peaked my interest enough to finally sell my JVC RX-8010vbk and buy the XR50..one problem I have is all the opinions on bright sound..I don't mind detailed but really do like a warm sound..I have cerwin-vega LS speakers now that I love and they are warm in nature..maybe too warm with the JVC 8010..they are also 6 ohms..do you think this receiver will sound warmer on these speakers..and is the 6 ohm impedance a problem?

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The 6 ohm speakers will not be a problem at all for the Panasonic XR50, and I think the warm (IYO) nature of your speakers will be perfect w/ the Panasonic. Many are using 6 ohm speakers w/ their Panasonics w/ great results.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Dave_vega and other canadians...

London Drugs has the XR25 on sale for $199.99! From $349.99!!!

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
wow..where is london drugs? we do not have one locally..also what is the difference in the XR25?? would be a good buy for sure if it compares to the XR50..

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The XR25 is just as great w/ digital sources. It's the spark that got the whole affordable digital amp fire started. There is some debate whether there is a difference from the XR25 to XR50 to XR70. For $199.00 Canadian, it's definately worth a try.

Kevin...I'm really interested in one of these units now. I'm running an RX-V450 Yamaha and am looking to upgrade. Here's the kicker: I'm a big 2 channel music person. I watch an occasional movie here and there. How would the panasonic units perform with CD music listening? The unit would be powering Boston VR1 mains, and CR-75 rears.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Go to the "multi-channel and digital" section of audiocircle.com, it's filled with information and reviews of these digital receivers and amps.

I was able to locate a brand new JVC RX-F10 digital-amped receiver for $200.00 after reading that its 5.1 analog section, for passing through SACD/DVD-A, was excellent since its amp section is a hybrid digital/analog design. Plus it was able to drive low impedence speakers. However, various owners of the receivers posted that its digital inputs were inferior to the 5.1 analog inputs. Because I don't want to limit myself to just one good sounding input, I returned the JVC.

Like I posted above, I will instead use my Cambridge Audio integrated amp as a pre-amp (via its pre-out jacks) and output the signals to the TEAC A-L700P digital power amp. Yes, it's only 30 watts/channel but since I don't listen to loud music, I think it should be OK. Quality over quantity.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Scott,I am not a big music listener, but the CDs that I've spun so far have me wishing I had more time to enjoy my music. I really hate sounding like a Panasonic commercial, but I'm really, really impressed w/ this thing. Here's a very short review of the XR25 that I copied and pasted from another forum:
Thanks for the audiocircle link Danny!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Will that not add a layer of A/D/A to your system, something most people seek to avoid? Isn't that going to be an issue for anyone using an analogue pre/pro with a digital amp?

BruceD

Screenwriter
Danny,

The Panasonic receivers never do an A/D/A unless you're using an analog input.

The highest sound quality seems to come from the least amount of signal manipulation, i.e. direct from digital PCM or 5.1 bitstream source to the Panasonic "Power DAC" amplifiers feeding the speakers.

Using an analog preamp and a A/D/A digital amp combination doesn't seem optimal to me. Yes, it is the only option for SACD today (and vinyl), but the future for source is a digital losslesss format on a PC server anyway.

I have four ohm speakers so this type of technology is not practical for me since I like my Martin Logans. BTW, heard one of the Sony digital receivers earlier in the year and was not impressed.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Stephen Shadow, if you do your research, you'll see that the Sony Digital receivers and the Panasonic Digital receivers are not the same. Sony uses their own proprietary chipset which many say is not really digital at all because of the methods they use. Panasonic, OTOH, uses the Texas Instruments PurePath? chipset to achieve their results which BTW is also used by Kenwood w/ their digital receivers. Several comparisons done between the Kenwood and the Panasonics have yielded virtually no discernable difference in sound quality when using digital sources.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
were you keeping an eye on that one too? LOL

:D

when they release the XR-70 there might be a few more 45's on eBay

it'd be interesting to hear reviews of a S97 + XR70 pairing for DVDAudio

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508