What's new

Wow-ed!!! (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
A friend whom I haven't seen for several years has just moved to the area where I live and I went over to help him set up his HT system. He still had the equipment he bought due to my influence several years ago so I kinda figured it'd be a little flat.... BUT I was so wrong!

His equipment is an Elite receiver which was the best one they made back then (94-95)and was pro logic. His speakers were B&W 600i all around and his sub is a Mirage PS12. He still uses a laser disc also.

I am still wondering what made this sound so good? Does laserdisc have so much room that sound is more true or what???? We played several LD and all were just tremendous but the most dramatic part was that SUB.... it was so deep and just pounded the hell out of me!

I came home and turned on my system which is TODAY"S products with a SVS pc sub and everything was as good or better except for the sub..... This pretty much is telling me that my svs is not a musical sub but it IS superior for movies. And is is not a small difference but a night and day difference. Our homes are just about the same room arrangement and size and subs are in the same corner.

I have to admit I was surprised and now am a little embarrassed to turn on any music on my system when he is over.

I played with my calibration, ART 351, the receiver, the sub and I still cannot get it to do anything close to his sub on music! I'm disgusted but proud for him. He has parties where the music is the main thing and I am more a movie buff. He still gives me the credit for all his purchases and I'll have to say, he has some great stuff.

His "other" room includes some vintage Marantz equipment and some JBL 4311 Monitors among other goodies. He always did buy the best.....

I still feel that I am missing something!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like what you're missing is good ol' PCM stereo from LaserDisc which sometimes caused overemphasized bass. You should hear the At-Ats marching across my living room at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back on LD. Have you calibrated his speakers or is his sub cranked up?

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Yeah, it sounds to me like you're equating more bass with better bass. Just crank up your subwoofer if you're so inclined. An uncorrected room mode here and there will also add to the pounding as well, so you should really get rid of that EQ.

But seriously, why not see if he will let you borrow his subwoofer for an afternoon to see if it's really the sub that is making the difference? There are way too many variables at play here for you to simply write it off as inferior sub quality on the part of the SVS.

--Steve

DonnyD

Screenwriter
To answer some of the ? and to give further comments on some the commentary....

We played with his system quite a bit and changed settings on his receiver to check out various modes. He typically runs his sub lower than I would and it was running about 60% gain. It just really wowed the heck outta me!

I just believe there are several things at work here that makes up the difference. 1st... laserdisc probably do have more audio info on them.... 2nd...that Mirage sub is just more musical than the SVS.

Yes, we are moving his sub over to my house and do a side by side. With and without the EQ. I DID turn my SVS up more and changed the db setting in the Yammie, messed with the EQ, etc but still got no where close to that pounding of the Mirage on the same music......

"But seriously, why not see if he will let you borrow his subwoofer for an afternoon to see if it's really the sub that is making the difference? There are way too many variables at play here for you to simply write it off as inferior sub quality on the part of the SVS."

I understand the variables. I write nothing off. I research, research, research until I am satisfied with an answer. I've owned subs for HT since 90 and subs in my vehicles since 80...... built car subs for years, installed HT systems for years, helped others calibrate, etc.. so I do feel I know good bass.

At this point, the Mirage is much better on music.....BUT.... I am gonna go a lot further before I allow that idea become a fact.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting...I have a Mirage sub and am happy with it ESPECIALLY for music and was contemplating an SVS "upgrade" and now you have thrown me for a little loop here. Perhaps it's not quite the upgrade I was led to believe.

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
I was beggining to think the same about my SVS. Rocks and scares me with movies...but when it comes to slamming out some dance or rap music I just feel there is someting missing. Maybe I want too much bass...Ill just have to add another I guess.

Todd

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Evan:

Don't let this deter you cause SVS is the real thing when it comes to movies LFE. I've heard a lot of subs and I just haven't experienced anything like the SVS type of LFE response in movies. My buddy listens to 95% music whereas I am just the opposite. Still, when I put on some Floyd or something, I WANT my bass......Later this week we are doing a side by side and I'll post again. But I have to add, that Mirage is just astonishing.....

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
Hey. The Mirage is an amazing Sub. There's no question about it. They make very musical subs AND speakers.

One thing I tried that helped musically with the SVS that I had was to try crossing it over at 60 Hz for music. That made a big difference and I was able to turn it up louder with less distortion. Or course "Your mileage may vary", but if your receiver & mains can do it, it might be worth a try.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't mention what your SVS was. 20-39, 25-31 or 16-46. A 20-39 or 16-46 wouldn't hit like a 25-31 in the upper ranges. This might be what you're missing. You may have the wrong SVS for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks