What's new

Wow - Ally McBeal! I'm speechless, almost (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Never thought I would see the day when TSODVD would be reporting this official release...let alone a complete set! I am hoping and praying the music will be intact, but I won't hold my breath on that. There was SO much music used it will be a miracle if everything stays. Still, I am heartened by the news of this coming out.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remember, Fox did WKRP, Too.

I expect the music to be removed, and scenes would have to be edited, too for Ally McBeal to work.

All in all, I think I'll hang onto my R2 sets.

It is nice to see that Fox is rumored to be releasing the full series the same day as S1, though. That's something I'd like to see more of in the future.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Fox and CBS/Paramount are two of the hands-down worst studios ever when it comes to securing music rights. I don't think they even try.

Both studios even like to replace non-copyrighted music, and I'm sick of them getting away with that. Why on Earth has no one sued them over something as dumb as that?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder how much the music industry has collectively lost from DVD licensing because they asked for too high a price.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Wow is definately the right word here, but like others have pointed out the chances of all the music on this show being intact are pretty slim. But I guess anything is possible and we probably will have to wait and see. I think most die hard Ally fans have allready bought the UK R2 sets. Which are not missing any of the music which is a must for a show like this. The only thing that ever bugs me about those releases is they jump from 4x3 to 16x9 on a couple of seasons. But I am quite happy and content with my R2 purchases. I can't see me replacing them with a R1 set barring some sorta great extras + all music intact.

The release strategy though by FOX is bloody brilliant. With a complete set released from the get go to coincide with single season releases. This enables you to buy the single seasons and feel your going to be able to get the subsequent seasons aswell, considering all the episodes are done and ready.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Aryn,
the thing with the 4x3 to 16x9 jumping on the R2 sets is pretty easy to explain: back when the show was still producing new episodes, they started releasing it on VHS here in Europe. When Season 4 came up for release, they decided to release it on DVD as well, although seasons 1-3 were only available on VHS at the time, and they put out a 4x3 release. When they released Season 5, they put it in 16x9 immediately. The early seasons were eventually released but they never bothered going back to put Season 4 in 16x9, although both Season 3 and Season 5 are in that format. I agree this is a little annoying, but nothing I can't live with.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I appreciate the explanation, thanks! Yeah I agree i have got by just fine, even if it is a little annoying.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Nobody here knows anything about whether there will be music replacement, so why is everyone bitching about it?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I don't see much bitching, just stating the obvious when it comes to Fox and some of there classic library. It might be intact we will see.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Because, unless Hell freezes over, the odds are almost totally in favor of Ally McBeal having music replacements or edits.

This was a very music heavy show, with songs from many different publishers and artists. If almost no other older, pre-DVD show has been able to work around this (most famously Fox's WKRP in Cincinatti release), why should anyone think for a second that Ally will escape the knife intact?

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
I imagine FOX will at least spring for at least most of the most important pieces of music, even if they replace/cut the rest.

If FOX is planning to do away with every single, solitary song used on the show, why did they wait until 2009 to release it?

Elena S

Supporting Actor
There's no way to cut every single song because many times the characters were singing them. Unless, of course, they cut out about 10 minutes from each episode. A big part of Ally was their meeting at the bar at the end of the episodes, where they danced and sang. Vonda Shepherd performed in almost every one, and often Elaine or Renee would also sing. Also, Barry White's music was used throughout. John bopping to "The First, the Last, My Everything" was such a big part of the show that they even had Barry White in one episode for John's birthday to perform the song live, and they all did a choreographed dance to it. If they cut out the BW music I will be infuriated. I just don't see how they can without ruining the show.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Given what we do know so far -- which isn't much since nothing's official yet -- I'm extremely skeptical that the music will be intact. $200 for all five seasons, 112 music-intensive episodes? Unless there's been some radical change in laws governing music licensing in the U.S. in the past couple of months, or Fox has worked out some miraculous back-end deal, it seems likely that there will be cuts. And, yes, that would be a travesty, from Barry White to Blue Swede to Barry Manilow.

But ... I'll reserve judgment (and my pre-order) until there's some official word about the music. I have some of the R2 releases and the speed-up does bother me, but I'd rather have it slightly faster and higher-pitched than with the music cut out.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Fox owns The Simpsons which was airing before Ally McBeal was. All the music is intact on their sets.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I really liked the first three seasons before I lost track of the show (didn't Robert Downey Jr. star in the latter seasons when he was having drug problems?). I doubt that Fox cleared all of the music, but if the majority of music remains I may pick up the entire series. It serves as a spiritual predecessor to David E. Kelley's Boston Legal and I do like my quirk when dealing with fictional American legal matters!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Been on the fence about getting the R2 version for the past few months, guess I'll hold off a little longer and see how this turns out.

Maybe Fox paid attention to the backlash from the music cuts in WKRP and will work this one out. Since there are complete, uncut episodes for this entire series available, I'll get them eventually, but would certainly prefer a region 1 set.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
While I am not a fan of this show, it was made in the 90s, with the home video market well under way (format is irrelevant) In the 70's, the home video market was non-existent. I would think that home video contracts had already been considered when McBeal was produced so I would think there's a good chance you all will get your show with music intact.

Have there been other 90's show where the music was editted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks