What's new

Would you sell your home for $1M? (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Me? Hell yeah.

This reminds me of the local "craze" for en bloc sales, where old condominiums or apartment complexes, which are subdivided into strata titles for each unit, are collectively sold to a developer who tears down the whole thing and builds a new condo on the site. 90% approval is required to force the holdouts to sell as well, 80% if the development is an older one (can't remember exactly how old, IIRC either 10+ or 20+ years). There have been similar reported stories of the holdouts contesting the en bloc sale, and one instance had an old widow saying that she objected because she felt her late husband was "still there with her" and if she moved away he might not be able to follow... (I don't think the Board hearing the case has ruled yet, or if it has I don't know which way it went.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Keep in mind, if you make a profit of $850K (1M - $150K cost of home), you are not going to end up with $850K. Uncle Sam and maybe FL will want a share of the profit.

Still, with what's left over you could find a wonderful home and place to live. Throw in the threat of hurricanes, and for me, it would be a no-brainer --SELL!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Buying another house and having a good accountant will solve most of the tax issues. And no, Florida would not get a share as there is no income tax.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I saw it on the local news last night. A lot of these people are VERY old and don't care about the money. When people get their age they typically like a schedule and do the same things over and over. I'm finding this in my 78 year old father now. Making them move would upset their whole lives to them. What was funny was the guy who had financial problems and he is so excited. He won't get the money for several years...:)

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
We have no idea how many people the writers had to interview before they found three people that a) didn't want to sell and b) would be willing to be quoted. Not much of an article if the writer said everyone is really happy about selling! You get that many humans together, you know there's going to be some disagreement on something! ;)
Would I sell?
Having just moved and still having the joy of knowing where everything is (It's in a box!), I can understand the trepidation.
But yea, I would sell. Maybe not in an instant but then I wouldn't have to move for another couple of years so I could make plans and consider where I want to go.
Aside, I would not have bought a home in Florida. I lived there as a child and no thanks.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Where? How long ago? Why? Where are you now? I have been in North Florida since 77. It's gotten better with time. We moved from R.I. and while I miss the scenery I don't miss the cold or the economics. I can afford to go to a cold area any time I miss it too much but I love playing golf year round.......... :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Global warming's taken care of that, for the most part. I divide my time between upstate New York and Boston, and I know all of the golf courses here (Albany) are still open. It's going to be in the high 60's tomorrow!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
No crap, soon my grandchildren will see the day when New York's picturesque Adirondack Mountain park will be in full bloom of ripe, deliscious oranges.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
"I did this. It's fun. Any place compared with San Jose is cheap."

Woo-hoo!

Claunch, New Mexico, here I come!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Maybe he's hoping they offer him a home in the same location as now in order for him to vote yes!

Brent

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Depends on the hurricane.

The odds of a hurricane ruining your golf game in Florida on any given day is much much lower than that of frost during the winter months even just a little farther north. Besides, on a chilly morning, you can't get a good golf swing all bundled up.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

Lived just outside of Tampa and it was in the early to mid 60's. It was mostly during the winters (great weather and since I wasn't in school yet, no problems there - yes, I remember that far back) Visited Orlando in 1993 - stayed with a friend who lives there. Did the tourist thing. Yea, she also works for Disney :D
It was the heat and the bugs and the snakes and.... Being told by my grandparents that no I couldn't go out and play until they caught the gator in the neighbors backyard. Made an impression.
Currently I'm in Syracuse NY. Been here since 1982. I lived in central Illinois before then. I've finally gotten fed up with NYS politics, job market or lack thereof and miscellaneous stuff so I started looking to move.
I like the change of seasons but not the extremes in weather that both areas experience - snow by the foot in CNY and heat in FL. If it could be spring/fall in the 60's and 70's year-round, that's where I like to live! Even 80's can be too much. Currently, I'm looking closely at the Pacific Northwest - Washington, Oregon, maybe even BC.
:D I don't play golf....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks