What's new

Would you buy one of your Fav. Movies if it was ONLY on P&S DVD?.... I Did :( (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I have two.

Ace Ventura, because I assume it would be widescreen when I got way back when (that's the title that taught me to look), and Christmas Story because I have to own it! Thankfully the latter title will be rectified shortly.

I've come very close to buying some other cheap ones like Twins, The Paper, Kindergarten Cop, My Blue Heaven, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I would have bought Remo Williams for sur eon its release date, but again, no OAR= no sale.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Mission statements being what they are, I guess you guys are right. I don't know how many times I have been to a friend's house and have watched in dismay as the host zooms the picture to fill up his big screen TV. Lately I have begun to "educate" these poor individuals as to the reason movies are presented in widescreen format. To be brutally honest, most of the time it is because the host's better half vehemently objects to the black bars on the screen. I am lucky to be able to afford HTs in both my living room and bedroom, that way if my wife wants to zoom a movie she can use the alternate system and I can enjoy my movie in its OAR. Unfortunately this ultimately means that we don't watch many movies together. Such is the price one pays for purity.:frowning:

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
When I brought American Pie UE to my brithers house to watch with him and his wife she demanded we watch the P&S version so I obliged to keep the peace. Thak God they are now devorced. Any way in the infamous pale ale seen the cup that Stifler is holding changes from clear to blue and then back to blue again. So I was like I never noticed that the first five times I saw the movie, so I checked the WS version and during the seen in question the cup is never held in the frame when it is blue. So the open matte version ruins the seen a little.

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Confessions of a full frame wanker.

(insert sound of everyone turning about face)

The Shining (didn't know any better)

Christmas Story (favorite Xmas movie)

Thankfully, Warner made the right decision with the anamorphic SE release. ... and bly me, with all the sick new releases throughout the rest of the year, I can actually hold off on upgrading until December. woohoooo!!!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As my signature says, I like OAR.

Having said that, my second choice is open matte, because then I have the ability to create my own mattes, and see it in the proper aspect ratio.

True P&S is an abomination!

Pete L

Agent
Sure, if the only alternative is to simply never see the movie again because it will never be released in OAR, then I will buy/watch a Pan & Scan DVD. Of course, I have to really like the movie, for starters. And also, this is in cases where 1) the movie does not exist in its original aspect ratio in any home video format, and 2) the movie is obscure enough that it very likely will never exist in its proper form.
While I'm very discouraged to see any title butchered for release, I don't regret one cent I paid for my Star 80 or Running on Empty, or any other quasi-obscure films I've owned on MAR DVDs that will likely never be properly rereleased in their OAR glory.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I broke down for Honeymoon in Vegas. I assume it was shot open matte, because I didn't seem to be missing anything when I zoomed in.

There are several others that I'm still trying to hold out for... mainly Steve Martin flicks

Ric

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, fortunately I have a LOT of patience. For the past two years, I've been dying to get a hold of "A Christmas Story" and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", but I've refused to make the purchases because they are P&S.

I currently own over 800 VHS movies which are P&S, and slowly but surely I'm replacing them with widescreen DVD versions.

My ex-girlfriend bought me a P&S version of "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" last season without knowing that OAR was my preference. Needless to say, the next day I went back to Zellers and exhanged it.

I'll admit, there was a time not long ago, I was uneducated about widescreen, and I swore up and down that I'd never own a movie that was OAR. But now, I won't have it any other way. Sure, there are still movies out there that I'm dying to get on DVD (i.e. "Ace Ventura 1&2, Child's Play", but I still intend to hold out. From what I'm guessing, the "Ace Ventura" flicks may not be too far off, seeing as Warner has recently turned over a new leaf by re-releasing some of their movies in OAR. But never again will I purchase a P&S movie. Not in this lifetime.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I have purchased two, both from Artisan. The first was Gothic and the second was Sleepless. If I really want a film and doubt it will be redone, I will buy it. On the other hand, I refuse to buy Back To The Future until the corrected version is in stores. I will be damned if I allow returning disks for replacement to become a normal part of purchasing a DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks