What's new

Would you buy one of your Fav. Movies if it was ONLY on P&S DVD?.... I Did :( (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Pan & Scan is a despicable practice. I refuse to even watch movies presented in such a manner, much less pay good money to have them as part of my collection.

It's becoming a cliche here at HTF, but no OAR = NO SALE!!!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Never. The only P&S DVD we own is Happy Gilmore. My wife is a huge Adam Sandler fan, and I got her a stack of his movies for Christmas last year. I was new to DVD at the time (we hadn't even hooked ours up yet), and just assumed that they were all in OAR, or at least had both versions on there. I was disgusted when I found out that wasn't the case. We still have it, simply because it's one of her favorite movies, but we've only watched it once. I will upgrade if it's released in its OAR.

Some movies I would love to own are only available MAR'ed, and I simply refuse to buy them. Amongst these are Vacation, The Jerk, Christmas Story, Mr. Mom, and Purple Rain. I will not buy them, or even rent them, unless they are released OAR.

When Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal were released a while back, I picked both up at Best Buy. It wasn't until I got home, opened it, and put it in the player that I realized SOTL was the P&S version. I took it back to exchange it. When they asked if the disc was defective, I told them it was, at least as far as I was concerned. Surprisingly, they were quite friendly about it, and didn't even give me a hassle that the disc had been opened.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That batch of early P&S Universal titles really baffles me, because all of them (Babe, The Shadow, Happy Gilmore, Sudden Death, Timecop, etc.) were all readily available on laserdisc in widescreen. I should know— I still own a bunch of them (the LDs that is).

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
The answer is a big fat NO. In the UK, Glengarry Glen Ross has been released as a budget bare-bones P&S title. I ain't buying. I can wait until the R1 SE becomes available, I know it will be worth waiting for...

-- J.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
If you think it's bad now, wait until most of the US has 16X9 screens sometime in the future (instead of 4X3 screens being the majority like it is now), then you're going to see:

A) All 1.85:1 movies left as OAR on DVD

B) And all 2.35:1 movies P&S'd down to 16X9 on DVD

P&S will never go away for the masses.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
To all of you responding about how SCARED you are of studios reading this thread: WHAT are you thinking? Your comments are entirely wrong.
My comments are not wrong if I am concerned what studio execs will think about this thread...and I am.
I think this is a great discussion and have never hindered this discussion or tried to change anyone's stance on this subject. If you meant to say that you think I am wrong in being concerned, that's another thing. I hope you agree that no one has any right to tell me what I can be scared of...or tell me that I am entirely wrong in doing so. ;)

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
No, I'd tape it off cable.

I mean, if I'm really willing to compromise on OAR, why not compromise on quality and time compression, too?

(Thus, my fair use personal tape of "A Christmas Story".)

To me, NO OAR = TV, which I already have.

Aaron Thomas

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I won't ever buy or rent a P&S only title.

This is not some knee-jerk reaction to recent studio decisions or standing my ground. I just can't enjoy a P&S presantation. It completely changes the feel of each scene, and it is many times way too obvious that cropping or zooming out has occured. Both completely change the nature of the scenes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just yesterday I passed on two MAR titles, "The Front Page" and "The Postman Always Rings Twice" at Wal-Mart. I was going to make an impulse purchase, since they were only $5.88 each. But no OAR = no sale and both were "formatted to fit your screen," so I left them behind. :frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Once, I'm afraid, but out of 2000+ discs that's a pretty good ratio. And it was White Palace, out of a disturbed desire to see Susan Sarandon all nekkid. :b

I also have a P&S Wrongfully Accused, which was Wrongfully Advertised as widescreen, and I didn't get around to the disc until it had been way past the return deadlines.

I do have some full-frame discs, but with the Malata I can blow them up and move the picture to frame them right so that's no biggie.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I've bought two "Open Matte" DVDs out of the 200 that I own - "Vacation" and "Christmas Vacation" - and will NEVER buy non-OAR again.

OAR=SALE

NO OAR = BRING BACK LASERDISC!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I will NEVER buy a non-OAR DVD! Believe me, I would LOVE to have The Sting, The Shadow, Kindergarten Cop, Spies Like Us, Funny Farm, the Vacation films (save European, of course), and others in my film library, but my resolve is strong!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
There are five or six movies I would love to buy right now, but will NOT because they are P&S.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I only have two non-OAR titles -- one pan-and-scan (The Pillow Book) and one matted when it should be unmatted (The Idiots). I have a few others that aren't in their original theatrical ratio because the director preferred something different (e.g. Eyes Wide Shut). If I liked the movie enough I would still consider buying it regardless of the AR, so long as a) it's not available in OAR elsewhere (i.e. region 2 or whatever) and b) it's not available in OAR on laserdisc. If it were simply unmatted as opposed to pan-and-scan I'd be much more likely to go ahead and get it.

I have been consistent for 3 years. I do not and will not buy or rent pan & scan movies on DVD. Heck if I really need it. Just go back to my VHS collection. ;)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yep, I've done it, Funny Farm was the poison. I love having my movies in OAR and I hate it when thay aren't, but if the movie is one of my all time favorites I will buy it, OAR or not. The reason being is that it still beats the hell out of VHS and I don't have a LD player nor do I have any plans of getting one.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Since I got my first DVD player 4 yrs ago I've yet to feel the need to compromise my standards when selecting a title because the studio didn't do their job properly. If I really want to see the film I'll consider a bare bones DVD (assuming it's OAR) but anything less isn't worth my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks