What's new

Would you buy one of your Fav. Movies if it was ONLY on P&S DVD?.... I Did :( (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I had been waiting for more than half a year for Willy Wonka, and I was pretty crushed when I learned it was pan and scam only, but I held out, and was eventually rewarded.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I did buy Sorcerer which is presented full frame. Not sure about its OAR.

Edit: oh yeah, and The Commitments. :b

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I only own one: Doc Hollywood (purchased in late 1998).
I needed a Michael J. Fox movie on DVD (my wife's a big fan of his) and I didn't really feel that Mars Attacks! qualified.
I can tell you that I certainly DO NOT enjoy viewing this movie on my 96" 16:9 FPTV system and I will never, ever purchase a P&S film on DVD again.
NEVER!!!

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I love widescreen as much as the next guy, but in the end I'm going to do what I have to do in order to own a movie I like. If that means buying P&S, so be it.

I have a laserdisc collection. If a new remastered DVD comes out that is P&S only, and the laserdisc with an inferior transfer from many years ago is widescreen, I'll keep the laserdisc. But if it's not on laserdisc, or the laserdisc is also P&S, I'll buy the P&S DVD.

I can sit down and still enjoy a movie in P&S. Yes, I know I'm missing portions, sometimes large portions, of the picture. What else are you going to do? I'm not going to NOT watch a movie I love simply because my only available viewing choice is P&S. That' in my opinion, is ridiculous.

Angelo

Auditioning
I bought "The Commitments", I had no choice. I love the movie, and there wasn't a widescreen option. The funny part is the they listed pan and scan as a bonus feature. That's Fox for you.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope. I wanted to get "Secret of NIMH" but MGM released it as a P&S only title. It can sit on the store shelf and rot. There are lots of other movies I like in OAR that I can pick up.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
After all the trouble I'm going to to save up the money to format MY screen to fit their movies, why are they sabotaging me? :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

I bought this from a mail order place. I love this film. I saw it was p&s. I returned it unopened and got a refund. I do not own this movie, but will buy it as soon as it comes out OAR.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"...in the end I'm going to do what I have to do in order to own a movie I like..."
But you're not owning the film you like; you are owning a facsimili of it.
So, for me? Absolutely not!
Be advised: This pro-OAR site is not a democracy. But if you feel the need to discuss having done a bad thing, go ahead--if it makes you feel better.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Nope, I still haven't given in to the Dark Side. I'm waiting patiently for OAR versions of these P&S discs:
A Christmas Story
The Commitments
The Jerk
The Karate Kid
True Stories
Warlock

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
P&S never. Full frame, I've only got one: Full Metal Jacket, but I watch that in Theater Wide 2 format. If they ever brought it out in anamorphic 1.85 format, I get it and dump the full frame version.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I haven't bought any pan & scan discs yet. I hope to be able to hold out when the muppets discs come out.

Chris M

Second Unit
The only P&S movie I own is Transformers: The Movie. But I relented because Rhino guaranteed that they COULD NOT get a widescreen version since the original film was damaged too badly (or something).
I'm still waiting for:
Twins
The Karate Kid
The Shadow
To be released in Widescreen.
Chris.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I will not. Period.

You can't be weak. The studios love it when they can say they are right and film purists will buy pan and scan videos if they can't get it any other way.

What they need to see is that if DVDs were all OAR then they would still sell like hotcakes.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks