What's new

Would you buy a turntable? (1 Viewer)

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I have been into vinyl for some time...since I was a kid. :) I still buy LP's all the time, and often will buy an LP version of something I already have on SACD or redbook.

There is a magic about the care and personal interaction with the playback device when using a turntable that simply is lost on digital media. My vinyl rig sounds just as good as any of my digital sources, so there need not be a sound quality loss.

I just got the re-mastered Aqualung, and it sounds the best I have ever heard it.

I have a VPI Scout and I use the VPI SDS motor drive system and an Adcom VanDenHul cartridge (for reference).

Mike

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I think the term "sound quality" needs to be more specific in these discussions, as I think it is arguable that some aspects of the sound are better with vinyl but others are superior with digital. For example, I don't think there's any doubt that music with significant levels of bass in both stereo channels presents severe challenges for vinyl (e.g., The 1812 Overture on the early Telarc CD probably wouldn't play on vinyl). At the same time, some say that vinyl offers better resolution and inner detail -- such as the classic Neil Young argument in which he said he wants music to "wash over him" like water (analog), not ice cubes (digital).

Good to see you back, Mike!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I am not going to spend thousands of dollars for a new turntable if I ever need to replace the one I have. However, I am considering buying a USB turntable for transferring my LPs to CD.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I believe the sound quality improvement of vinyl will be rendered negligable with modern rock/pop albums, the poor mastering efforts will just sound like "smooth analog shit" now.

Would I buy a turntable? Probably. As of now I have a handful of LPs I bought just for their cover art, I can certainly forsee myself buying a TT to actually listen to them in the future ;) (But its not a priority)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I prefer the sound from vinyl...maybe it's because of my age (CD came around when I was in college) but I think vinyl sounds warmer.

I have a fairly large record collection (1,000+) ranging from mono versions of early Beatles and Stones to more recent Pearl Jam, Tool and practically any recent artist I like which will release on vinyl...Many still listened to on an old Gerard turntable circa 1978 through a Sherwood receiver and KLH speakers from 1975 which were my dads when I was a kid. Not as hi-fidelity as the HK HT setup, but I actually like it more.

I still really love albums....large cover art, can actually read the liner notes/lyrics and hunting through bins of vinyl in record shops and garage sales is still a lot of fun.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

I recently got into vinyl and half the fun is going through bins at record shops and stoop sales - no garages in Brooklyn :)

I've been picking up stuff from Talking Heads to Jackson Browne and haven't paid more than $3 for anything. And it is fun to just sit and look through liner notes and cover art, really a completely different feeling from CDs.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Absolutely! You don't know what you're going to find at garage sales....or stoop sales :D and it's a lot of fun just flipping thru the bins and boxes. I always laugh at how Bat Out of Hell can be found at nearly every garage sale on Long Island. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"I just got the re-mastered Aqualung, and it sounds the best I have ever heard it.

I have a VPI Scout and I use the VPI SDS motor drive system and an Adcom VanDenHul cartridge (for reference)."

I have a ScoutMaster and I love it. Using a Grado Sonata cartridge. I need to get that Aqualung LP.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I went to the Voxtrot concert here in NYC last night and they released their new album on CD as well as vinyl. Bought the record ($10) and was pleasantly surprised to find a little paper inside that had a link and special code to download the entire album in MP3. Anyone know of other artists doing this?

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Yes you should. I also have a Grado Sonata that I was using until I got hold of the Adcom...the Grado's produce a very nice sound.

Mike

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm seriously considering a USB turntable myself; I have hundreds of LPs that will never be released in digital format that I'd like to have in more convenient formats.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

It's Frampton Comes Alive around Seattle. Seems I cant swing a dead cat without hitting one of those damn albums!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I am not proud to say (for Brooklyn's sake) that I came across 3 copies of various Bananarama albums yesterday while garage sale hunting. I did however pick up a copy of Charlie Brown Christmas on vinyl for 50 cents.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never NOT owned a turntable. I just bought 5 new (old) records on Monday. :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

That is one album I would LOVE to hear on vinyl...what a great collection of music. Easily my album of the year.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I have a turntable. I'm not looking to get rid of it, or to get rid of the vinyl, but I stopped using both of them long ago.

One of these days, I need to get around to transferring albums (that I don't already have on CD) onto the computer, and from there to CD-Rs and AACs, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks