What's new

Would a Emotiva XPA 5 be too much for SVS SBS-01 (1 Viewer)

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I just Received my SBS SVS-01 5.1 System I love it. But.............I have been bitten buy the "hifi bug". I can live/love this system for quite some time. I am now trying to put together a plan for upgrades in incremental steps. I am pleased with the Onkyo as a processor. So looking way down the road (2 years or so) at an SVS MTS speaker upgrade, How much would I benefit from purchasing a Emotiva XPA 5 amp in the mean time and using it with the SVS SBS-01s? Is this to much amp for the 01s (rated up to 120wpc)? As always all opinions are appreciated and thanks for the help.
Chris

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Since these SVS speakers are 8 ohms, you don't need the Emotiva. But, if you want it, it shouldn't hurt anything. The SBS-01 speakers are rated at 20W -150W, and the SCS-01 is rated at 20W-200W, so the power from the Emotiva shouldn't be a problem for anything. That being said, when you get the MTS speakers, you will definitely need the Emotiva, since they are rated at 4-6 ohms. So, get it while you can, and enjoy.
Good luck!

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Ed, I posted under the Amps forum also. Just looking ahead....I know I will need more power for any potential speaker upgrade in the future as I am sure these are the top performers at this level. Great sound is addictive! I can't believe what I was missing!Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
These guys actually like plenty of power due to their lower sensitivity and I think they would be just fine with it, but I do feel it is a little overkill for them. How big is your room? If you don't have issues with them delivering sufficient SPL now, then adding the amp isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Speakers make the biggest difference, so saving that money and putting it toward the new speakers would be the way to go.

These thread should be combined. You aren't supposed to post the same thing in different forums.

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Hi John, I wondered about the second post. I am new to this (forums) so how do I combine, or delete one? I understand it may be a temporary overkill, But as I mentioned I really would like to set a long term goal of the MTS system with the monitors. The room is 18'x18', open to a kitchen (via breakfast bar), with a 13' celling. I can fill the room with good sound now, but on my AVRs relative volume scale I am at +1.5-+2.0db. I believe at this level (according to my ears) I am pushing the AVR and pumping a small amount of distortion. My fear is with the Emotiva I won't hear distortion before I do damage to the speakers.
Witch and/or how would you delete or combine these posts. I am very new to this type of thing!
Thanks,Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As mentioned in the other thread, the moderators will take care of it if necessary.

I think your thinking is fine, that you will need this amp down the road for the MTSs, but I am not sure it is a worth while purchase at this point unless you're going to get the MTSs soon. These guys have a ton of power and I don't think you will run into distortion issues with it at all for elevated listening levels. If you are cranking your receiever that loud, I do think that it probably doesn't have sufficient power for the SPL you are looking to get out of the system. Have you calibrated the system? This is probably the first thing I'd check if I were troubleshooting your system - if the receiver has auto calibration, it should be run. If it doesn't an SPL meter will go a long way to getting it sounding right. If it IS calibrated, then you will probably benefit from an amp. I heard the SBS-01 package in a room that was 14x19x10 and they had no problem filling it driven by a SonyES receiver and I could tell that they could take more power than what the receiver was able to feed them. The amp certainly won't hurt them, but it could also be that you are looking for more SPL than they can provide and that MTS upgrade may need to come sooner?

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I ran the Audyssey,I then went bought a radio shack meter, Measured the distance from speakers to viewing seats and used the meter to calibrate the system at 75db......Big difference I have much more volume nob and it sounds very different.....I guess the audyssey was off quite a bit..??
Chris

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Stiffy

I ran the Audyssey,I then went bought a radio shack meter, Measured the distance from speakers to viewing seats and used the meter to calibrate the system at 75db......Big difference I have much more volume nob and it sounds very different.....I guess the audyssey was off quite a bit..??
Chris
If done correctly, Audyssey should be more accurate than your SPL meter. Check the link in my sig for an Audyssey setup guide...

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Dave, .....A large amount of information..... What I think I understand......Audessey compensates for the speed at witch each frequency arrives at your ear( +-db roll off). This is exaggerated with subs and LFE therefore it sets the sub at a longer distance to compensate ( much slower waves). Audessey also compensates for room acoustics (frequency's that are absorbed, or not absorbed by acoustically reflective, or non reflective materials). The individual listening area is more commonly at a distance that experiences a moderate amount of sound reflection (bounce) of walls etc.. However an anomaly would be in an area where no significant reflectivity interacts with the source waves before they reach the ear (front seat). The goal is to compensate for the room first to get as close to a studio standard as possible............then adjust (if necessary) to preference.
I am waiting for 2 more speaker stands and will be able to really play with the calibration from both Audessey and manually once my speakers are in the correct spots. I also have my Radio Shack Level receipt.
Thank you, I am beginning to understand..................This is very involved and very interesting
Thanks, ChrisP.S. I saved the file

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chris,

Yes it can be complex. If you follow the links in the document you will see a many thousand post thread on the subject. Try to follow the guide as closely as possible and then listen for a few days. Don't base your judgement on a small sample. Sometimes we get so used to hearing the 'wrong' sound (bloated bass, overcooked mids) that we forget how it should sound.

In the end, it is 'your' sound, so whatever makes you happy is the correct solution. Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree completely. ANY time you calibrate you need to listen to it like that for a while, as what you had previously may have seemed right to you but measurements don't lie. After you know what "calibrated" sounds like, then you can make some tweaks based on personal preferences if you like and go from there.

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I set the levels with the meter,listened to it for a couple days, then ran the Audyessey program again.....I like the audessey settings much better, sound seams..... less harsh, more balanced. We watched Avatar last night, I can really tell these speakers are warming up now. I did have to turn the center channel level up 1db this brought out the dialogs nicely. What are some thoughts on the ideal way to play music? Direct, All channel stereo,....etc.
Thanks to everybody, I'am getting an education in sound,... and my ears are loving it.
My wife no longer tells me to "turn it down". After the train crash scene towards the end of Batman Begins last night she just looked over at me and mouthed the word.........wow !!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The best way to play music is the way you like it. Try it each way and see what you like best.

I personally like plain stereo. The best speakers I own are my L/R and sub, so it makes sense (to me) to utilize these 3 for music. My surrounds are geared more towards movies and my horizontal center is a comprise design so it will fit nicely above my TV. Your situation may be different.

I'm glad you are enjoying your system. One thing I noticed is 85-115 DB (reference levels) are really not that loud when you get the reflections from the room under control (Audyssey makes this easier). I think when people complain is when certain parts of the sound spectrum are much louder than others (in other words not flat).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

That being said, when you get the MTS speakers, you will definitely need the Emotiva, since they are rated at 4-6 ohms. So, get it while you can, and enjoy.
Good luck!
The 707 will power the MTS speakers nicely on its own (to a point). But even the SVS people urge an external amp for best performance.

kfalls

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken Falls
Going back to the XPA-5. It's a great amp and a good addition to any system. It's a piece you can keep and is affordable. More affordable now since Emotiva is having their 4th of July sale. The XPA-5 is 10% off with free shipping and free t-shirt. It's normal price is $599 which is a steal for an amp with 200+W/ch (depending on load) balanced and unbalanced inputs, 1.2KVA transformer, 12V trigger and can drive pretty much any speaker. If you can afford it, get it. You won't be sorry. I used mine for the front three channels with my Legacy Focus mains bi-amped. It handled the 3-12"/ch woofers without any problems.

The company has been great as well. Very fast response. I purchased several interconnects ($8 for 2m stereo pair) and speaker termination kits ($8/kit 4 banana connectors and shrink tubing) from them yesterday. Within minutes of the on-line purchase I had emails confirming my order and within the hour tracking information for the orders. They will arrive today. It's good to know the service didn't go down with the prices. Great company, great people. Check out the sale and company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks