What's new

Worthwhile Reissues... (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Then you'll be happy to know that unlike HD DVD, Blu-ray is embraced by the majority of consumer electronic companies and studios... not just Sony like so many people suggest.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Then we have entered a world of semantics because I believe Sony has been dead (at the very least, brain dead) for some time. Perhaps there is a pulse, but there is very little activity going on upstairs

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
It isn't a matter of semantics. Hyperbole has a specific definition, and your statements saying Sony doesn't have a pulse, is brain dead, etc fits that definition quite well.

I get it though, you hate Sony, and like many studios, there are certainly plenty of legitimate reasons to be disappointed in them. Unfortunately, though, like other Sony Bashers, it appears you are allowing this disappointment to cloud your judgment and ignore some key facts. This may result in you missing out on some really great releases on a superior new HD format.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

No, I’m basing that disdain (not disappointment – but disdain) toward a studio that doesn’t seem to care about its customers. They have proven that time and time again. And considering their past performance with SD releases, we have no reason – whatsoever – to believe they will improve with the BR format. I’ll be missing out on nothing. My HD DVD player just arrived and I have made a decision to embrace BR as well when it comes out. As a lover of film, I’ll have the best of both worlds covered. Read my comments very carefully, my scorn is directed at Sony, not at the proposed format. But to say that one will succeed simply because it is “superior”… is, well…. hyperbole.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When Robert Harris interviewed Grover Crisp for The Bits last year, largely to publicise what was a superb effort with Major Dundee, I thought Sony had turned a corner; unfortunately, that corner seems to have lead to a blind alley.

I couldn't give twopence for the latest blockbuster on any hi-definition format, and my set-up means that HD itself will only be of passing interest; I can only see so much, and what I'm seeing right now is very pleasing.

I'm only concerned with how Sony treats its massive back catalogue of classic films. The scuttlebutt is that Sony simply doesn't care, and though I accept that that is only internet tittle-tattle, they clearly aren't keeping up with, well, Universal, never mind Warners.

Sony, Mr Crisp - anybody - what went wrong?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, to be fair, what goes on DVD probably doesn't reflect what the restoration/preservation guys do.

Consider how Lawrence of Arabia's original DVD was botched, despite being restored by Mr. Harris. Or even worse, take Kino's Metropolis DVD... overfiltered, interlaced, and mediocre compression - yet it has a fantastic 2K restoration.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Actually its speculative not exaggerated - and based on actual facts, not exaggerated ones.

As for your comments, this whole dialogue, which has quickly turned into an argument, was all started when you responded to Patrick's comment about how if he had the money he would buy into HD DVD because Warner supports it. Your response was to further support that analysis by stating that Sony has no pulse. Thus, suggesting that HD DVD is the better choice. You have gone on to associate Sony and BD as if they are one and the same when in fact they are not.

My response was respectful and offered clarity on distinguishing the parties involved in the BDA and how that impacts the format war and speculating on the future of the format based on those facts.

In return, you have been aggressive and defensive where neither was necessary, and instead of addressing the facts that I brought up, you have simply continued to express your disdain for Sony… over and over again, and exaggerating the facts in order to make your point.

I really can't see how this discussion can move forward on that basis so I'll leave you to your hatred for Sony and hope when the time comes Sony releases some breathtaking HD films that we can all enjoy in peace without allowing our disdain for a company to get in the way of our mutual appreciation and passion for film.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

As was mine Nils. However, your defense of a studio that has done very little right over the last couple of years and my refuting those claims is hardly exaggeration. They have treated their back catalogue pathetically. That’s not an exaggeration, it’s not hyperbole – it’s the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks