What's new

Worth Upgrading From Denon 3300 to 3802 (1 Viewer)

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Your opinions please.

I currently have Denon 3300 and really enjoy the sound and features of this unit that I have been using for three years now. I feel that the upgrade bug is waiting around the corner and is ready for a bite.

I hear a lot of good things about the 3802 and was wondering if it is worth the upgrade? Since I'm using this in a small room (13'x15'), I would only set it up as a 5.1 speaker system, not 7.1. So, would it be worth it to use the 3802 just for its 5.1 setup? Is the sound much better than the 3300 since I've read here that it even sound better than the 3801?

Thank you!

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Well, I am in a similar situation, as I have a Denon AVR-3600. What I'm missing is preamp inputs for multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio.
Haven't decided to upgrade yet... saving my money.
Isn't is nice to have a receiver that still says AC-3 on the front panel? :)

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: Good question, I have a 3300 as well. I have been wonderring the same thing. My other question would be, if there is no sonic improvement, what other receiver would give me a sonic improvement. Marantz 7200,8200. Pioneer vsx36tx. Yamaha 2200.:frowning:

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I have the 3802 and my neighbor has the 3300. There is not a day that he comes over and not wish he has the 3802 especially because of the 7.1 and DPL11. Unfortunatly his wife won't allow him to upgrade, something about needing money for food on the table and that nothing is wrong with his receiver.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I have 3300, which migrated from primary HT unit to computer room unit. Would I upgrade from 3300 to 3802 ?

Not, unless I need DPL II. For all other purposes there is not enough difference for me to waste $500 (diff between what old 3300 can be sold for and how much will I pay for 3802).

I do not see values in very small upgrades, or lateral moves - you can barely hear the difference, and for this same money you can either buy a truckload of CD/DVD, or a very good amp - parasouns 1000, or 1500 to power front speakers; or save the money and upgrade speakers first.

In my case, I went from 3300 to 5800 (driving whole HT setup in 7.1 mode) and to used MC-1 for music. In each case difference was noticeable.

I will rather save money and wait 6 month to get something significant better, than just do a minor swap ( 3300 -> 3801/02) and never get a quantum leap in quality.

Kleks

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I agree. The 3300 to 3802 is too small a jump. Reassess your weaknesses in your system. If that is the main weakness save up a little longer and make a real jump to Pre/Pro, possibly Outlaw, but haven't heard it yet. You're just in "grass is greener" mode right now.

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
This is for my second HT room. If the difference is just the 7.1, which I don't plan to use, and the DP II, which I don't listen to music much in this room, then I would be happy keeping it until something "significantly better" comes along in a year or so.
Thanks, Michael and Kleks for your inputs. I guess now I have to go get a truckload of DVDs. :D

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I went from using an AVR-3300 as a pre-pro to using a 3802 as a pre-pro. Differences?? Am I happy that I upgraded??

Well, as for the differences, there is more to it than just going to 7.1 and DPL II. I agree that those are probably the 2 most significant changes. I used my 3300 in a 5.1 setup and continue to do so with my 3802. My main purpose in upgrading was to have DPL II. And for me, since I listen to a great deal of standard 2 channel video, DPL II has been a truly wonderful addition. (IMO, worth every single cent I paid.)

Some of the other 3802 changes include: a better remote (I admit that I still continue to use a different branded universal remote though), a Wide Screen DSP mode, DTS:NEO6(Cinema and Music modes), a 3 position adjustable crossover, and can use the surround back amps to drive a second room 2 channel setup.

Am I happy that I upgraded? Yes! And, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My main reason was DPL II and I use it hours each day. The other added features are just icing on the cake for me...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The 3300 to 3802 is too small a jump.
Would you say that going from a 2700 to a 3802 is worthwhile? Soundwise, that is; I don't think DPLII is that important and I have no plans or room for adding 2 more speakers.

Philip J

Auditioning
I replaced a 2800 with a 3802 today and noticed a difference right out of the box. It weighs more!

All kidding aside...it sounds cleaner with the better DAC, added component video switching, and gave my speakers (Paradigm Monitor 7's, CC-370, and Mini-Monitor's) noticable "zip". It climbs the dB chart much quicker than my 2800. I am now thinking of orphaning another one of my systems to grab the Paradigm Atom's from it for 6.1.

There are a lot of refinements seperating the 3802 from the 3300. But coming from a person who 2 years ago wanted a 3300 and opted for a 2800, I am very pleased to have a 3802 now instead...On a good note, the 2800 is still killer; and an awesome performer in that price range and I have no desire to part with it.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I have not heard the 2800. The guy next to me has a 3300. I'm assuming they sound very similar musically, but that is completley an assumption. I personally don't believe in small jumps. One should make a big jump in audio equipment after one has gotten very used to their current equipment. That way you appreciate your jump better. The main reasoning for jumping up is the features i.e. DPLII. Try to tweak your system elsewhere. Speaker placement is huge.

Philip J

Auditioning
__________________________________________________ _________

I have not heard the 2800. The guy next to me has a 3300. I'm assuming they sound very similar musically, but that is completley an assumption. I personally don't believe in small jumps. One should make a big jump in audio equipment after one has gotten very used to their current equipment. That way you appreciate your jump better. The main reasoning for jumping up is the features i.e. DPLII.

__________________________________________________ _________

The sound between the 2800 and the 3300 is very different. The 3300 uses the SHARC 32 bit DAC while the 2800 uses a different 24 bit DAC and the power transformer to amps is different along with the amps themselves.

Additionally further up in the post you mention that the jump between the 3300 and the 3802 isn't big enough. And then you mention that the main reasoning for jumping up is features like DPLII.

The 3300 does not have DPLII, but the 3802 does! It also gives you 3 crossover settings which the 3300 doesn't. An optical connection out is also now provided, huge bonus. And Multi-Room control with assignable amps have been added to the 3802 that has 110wpc as opposed to the 85wpc of the 2800 and the 105wpc of the 3300. It is also much more "tweakable" through the OSD then the 3300. This is only a list of the differences I can think of off the top of my head.

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
I too upgraded from an AVR-2800 to the 3802 and I disagree with Phillip on this one. The differences are very subtle. As far as the loudness goes, what is it they say, a doubling of the power output results in a 3db increase in overall volume. Therefore a 25 w/channel increase would be almost unnoticable. I really can't tell the difference in output, but I will say that the channel separation is better and the added detail and clarity is noticable. There also seems to be a little more bottom the the 3802. Was it worth upgrading? Yes and no. If I were not considering moving to 7.1, the answer would be no. I like DPL II, but I will never use it for music and I don't watch a great deal of two channel video while utilizing my receiver. Since I am planning to add rears the answer is yes. I also paid only $665 for the receiver so it was a good deal.

I will agree with Phillip that the 2800 is a great receiver and considering the line is 2 years old, it has really aged well.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks