What's new

Worst Movies Ever Made? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Planet of the Apes (2001)
The 13th Warrior
Event Horizon
Any Movie with Mike Myers, Jim Carey or Adam Sandler
The Matrix films (Baffles my mind every time someone describes a new movie as a Matrix rip off when all the action scenes and style of the Matrix was a rip off of countless Hong Kong movies from John Woo, Ringo Lam, Chow Yun Fat etc., and countless wire-fu movies. So how can a rip-off be rip-offed?)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Even tripe like Armageddon compares favorably with movies shot on just a few thousand dollars and with production values more in line with a grade-school stage play.
The thing is, those movies you mentioned lack the smug and calculated pandering that defines Armageddon.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I'm confused. Is the list supposed to be the worst movies ever made...or the one's we personally dislike?

I've been known to like bad movies for whatever reason, but I could easily list movies I thought were horrible that other people liked quite well. If a movie was a hit does that mean that it isn't bad? Not a chance!!! But if a good number of people DO like it, I dare say that whether it is bad or not...it cannot be considered the "worst ever." That title should go to those films that simply cannot entertain (not even with MST3K's help).

A lot of people consider Deliverance to be a classic...does that mean that it cannot be the worst ever? I actually enjoyed Jason X, as did a lot of other people...still on the list? The film I probably disliked the most was Angel Heart, but a recent thread here showed that whatever I think of that movie, there were several who DID like it.

So I think if we are being fair to the title of this thread, then we would really have to compile a list of films so bad that nobody liked them -- or at least the great majority hated them enough that it's hard to find an actual fan of that particular title (because they don't exist or they won't admit it they like it. Either way) -- and then that would definitely be the list of The Worst Movies Ever Made.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I've watched many, many films I consider inept, lame, amateurish, manipulative, or just plain mediocre. But the only film I would readily add to a "worst films ever" list is Freddy Got Fingered.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Movies I personally hate:

The Blair Witch Project
A Time to Kill
The Thin Red Line
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Mac and Me
Very Bad Things
Striking Distance
Money Train
Carpool
Dirty Work
American Pie
The Toy
Look Who's Talking
Uncle Buck
The Bodyguard
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Halloween 4
Halloween 5
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Iron Eagle II
Porky's
Death Wish II
Eye for an Eye (Sally Field)
Friday the 13th Part 3
Happy Birthday to Me
Battlefield Earth

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The problem with lists like this is that they always freature famous movies. And a movie has to be atleast somewhat quality in order to get notoriety. The worst movies ever made probably don't get seen because they're so horrible.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think we should list movies that actually make it to theaters. Mini budget movies shouldn't be included because we all know they are going to be bad before we even watch them, which makes them very funny. In big movies you don't look for every reason to talk about how bad it is from the start, because you think it might be good.

Like Exit Wounds. Love the scene where they shoot the hood of the car with a machine gun and then the car does a flip. Obviously not the worst, but the last one I can remember.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
The problem with lists like this is that they always freature famous movies. And a movie has to be atleast somewhat quality in order to get notoriety. The worst movies ever made probably don't get seen because they're so horrible.
Exactly. The worst films of all time likely never made it to theaters nor to video rental stores, and thus we would have no way to discuss them with each other.

I disagree with some of the earlier comments about bad films with big budgets being worse. Such films are offensive, which is not the same thing as bad filmmaking.

I assume that the worst movies of all time are all home movies done by rank amateurs that will never be shown outside the homes of their makers, which leaves us with the only conversation we can have which is "Which films that you have seen do you personally hate?"

And of course no possible consensus can be reached on that one.

For that question, my vote goes to Forrest Gump. Whatta load of half-rotten tripe!

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
While Rob is quite obviously trying to push buttons, I must commend him on his choice of Mac and Me. Truly awful!!

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Mission To Mars-makes Armageddon look like Citizen Kane...

Clueless-if you haven't seen it, don't...

Blankman-about as fun as being kicked in the balls...

Lucas-ABSOLUTE shit...

The Replacements-headache inducing...

Varsity Blues-coma inducing...

The Demon-if you've never heard of it, good...

Jeepers Creepers-Child Molesters don't make good horror directors...

Clownhouse-see above...

Myra Breckinridge-nauseating...

Hannibal-see above...

ANYTHING with Madonna (except Dick Tracy and Desperately Seeking Susan)

Up to and including-

Who's That Girl?

Shanghai Surprise

Four Rooms-her segment only...

Evita

Truth Or Dare

The Next Best Thing-talk about a contradiction...

and various others...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Clueless has an 80% on the tomato meter, which is about as high as comedies get. I'd say that definitely clears it of being the worst movie ever.

I'd like to nominate Space Jam. I'm not sure if it's really one of the worst movies ever, but it certainly has one of the worst actual quality to potential ratios.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Hell, we might as well list all the films ever made because no film is 100% loved.
No, not really - I don't think that people who hate the movies they cite think that everyone else thinks the same, or should think the same. I don't think there's a need to defend a movie unless someone is trying to make a universal statement.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
**voice reverberates** People! I will now make a sweeping statement!
You hold the broom by... sorry, I meant every film ever made has it's fan, even, and now I'm reaching here a bit, 'Mac and Me' must have at least one fan, anyone? Mac & Me? Me & Mac? M&M? [now pleading] any fans out there of this 80's ET ripoff? Going.. going.. gone! Okay please ignore my sweeping statement.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Even tripe like Armageddon compares favorably with movies shot on just a few thousand dollars and with production values more in line with a grade-school stage play.
Yeah but even a few thousand dollar garage film can have something that Armageddon could never have no matter how much money they threw at it...charm.

Now if we are talking about movies that I love to hate then that is a very different thing from movies that I simply hate...
An example..
I love to hate The Green Slime because it is just so goofy that I get a kick out of it.
On the other hand I truly hate Armageddon because it is so full of itself that it actually tries to be "moving" at the end after two hours of huge FX, cardboard characters, truly bad writing and zero plot. All the money they spent on this pile of garbage could have made ten good lower budget films (IF they had better directors at least).

Now there are movies that I think are "bad" but might have some good parts in them such as...
Salon Kitty (bad film overall IMO but with some interesting plot elements, some good performances and some nice cinematography)
The Fury (a perfect example of bad DePalma in his "Hey look, I'm Hitchcock" mode and Good DePalma in some of the more effective sequences...all in one film!)
Mission to Mars (same thing really only with "Hey look, I'm Kubrick", plus what the hell was Ennio Morricone thinking with that score? Still, it had some nice action parts and a great set-up...)
Caligula (Same as Salon Kitty plus no matter what you feel about the film I bet this is the closest a film has ever come to showing the true depravity of Rome...perhaps without quite so many Penthouse playmates;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks