1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst album by your favourite artists

Discussion in 'Music' started by Daniel J.S., May 8, 2003.

1. Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S. Stunt Coordinator

Instead of the numerous "best" threads, how about a "worst" thread? Here are some of my choices:

The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
    Led Zeppelin: Coda
    Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Bruce Springsteen: Human Touch
    R.E.M.: Dead Letter Office

How's that for boring, out of touch, classic rock taste? [​IMG]

2. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

U2: Zooropa
    Radiohead: Pablo Honey

Pieter

3. Camp

Camp Screenwriter

Dead Letter Office & Pablo honey are great albums. Hmmm...come to think of it, I guess I would select Pablo Honey from the Radiohead catalog through...but from REM I'd choose anything after Document.

This is a tough thread...I'll have to think.

4. Daniel J.S.

Well, "Dead Letter Office" does have "Chronic Town" attached to it, so it has that going for it. But, as one would expect from a B-side collection, there is a fair share of dross on it.

You don't like "Automatic for the People"?

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I'll agree with you on the Springsteen - Human Touch just edged out its twin, Lucky Town by a very narrow margin on my "WTF?" scale.

Other entries on my personal "WTF?" scale:
    U2 - Pop
    R.E.M. - Up
    David Bowie - Hours...
    Queen - Hot Space (although to be honest most of their 80's output is edging up the list)
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Nocturama
    Radiohead - Kid A

I actually have a theory about the Radiohead album and its follower, Amnesiac. After the massive success of OK Computer I think the band devised a plan to separate the true music fans from the bandwagon-jumpers. The way they did this was by releasing some really awful music. The true music fans would decry the album, and the bandwagoneers would perceive it as "Art". Of course, this is just my opinion [​IMG]

6. Daniel J.S.

I thought Lucky Town was a really good record as it avoided the poppy stuff that dragged Human Touch down. If they had stuck the best of the Human Touch songs on Lucky Town ("Human Touch," "Soul Driver," "Roll of the Dice," "I Wish I Were Blind"), we could have gotten a great record, instead of a mediocre one and a good one.

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Load & Reload - Metallica
    No Prayer for the Dying - Iron Maiden
    Zooropa - U2

These are the ones that come immediately to mind.

8. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Some of these aren't actually "bad" albums, they're just the least good. And I'm discounting first albums done when the band was like 17 (From Genesis to Revelation, for example), because they're kind of expected to be bad.

Peter Gabriel - second album (scratch)
    Joe Jackson - Beat Crazy
    Emerson Lake & Palmer - Love Beach
    Yes - Tormato
    Genesis - Duke
    Kansas - Monolith
    Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2
    The Beatles - Let It Be
    The Who - It's Hard

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Screenwriter

10. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore: There are some great songs on there, but it is too long and has too many clunkers on it as well. This album came together more live, but that can't save the studio version.

The Cure - The Top: Shake Dog Shake is amazing, but that is followed by a lot of weird, unfamiliar vocal keys and week songwriting. There weren't enough other band members around to keep Smith in check around this time period. Cocaine kills, Robert!

Suede - Head Music: Suede lost the plot a bit here, a lot of the songs sound too formulaic and lifeless. They have redeemed themselves a bit on the new record, A New Morning. Still, a bad Suede album is better than 90% of the other crap out there.

Blur - Leisure: The band was still finding their legs at this time and it shows. Lots of baggy filler...but a few songs that foreshadowed their impending brilliance.

R.E.M. - Monster: Massively hyped, no follow through. A few good rockers, but all in all, not up to the standards of their other output. Now clogging used bins everywhere.

Ash - Nu-clear Sounds: They only have three albums out (plus the world's most brilliant singles collection), but this one sticks out like a sore thumb. The afterglow of the 1977 album brings us melodic-thrash rock that just doesn't work. The band triumphantly kung-fus everyone with next album Free All Angels.

Great thread, by the way. Even greats bands are human and make mis-steps!

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

To just rattle off a few:

XTC - they have a few mediocre albums, but I'd give the nod to "Mummer" over "The Big Express" or "Go2"

Sloan - "Pretty Together"

Moxy Fruvous - "Thornhill"

12. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds....I really like 2 songs on it though.
    Led Zepplin - Presence(never heard Coda)
    The Doors - Soft Parade

14. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

15. George See

George See Second Unit

I don't know that Dead Letter Office really counts? I took the thread title to mean studio albums of origional material. I wouldn't think a b-sides compilation packaged with a reissue of an older album would count. Dead letter office was more of an album by a record company than an album by an artist [​IMG]

I guess my answer would have to Vitalogy by Pearl Jam, and not because of songs like "bugs". The album does have some great tunes on it, but overall I don't think the album holds together very well.

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

17. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

Elvis Costello: Mighty Like a Rose
    Joe Jackson: Night and Day II
    Richard Thompson: N/A

18. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Although there are some fine songs on these, I will pick my least favorite albums. I will list my very favorite bands.

Marillion - Radiation
    Blur - 13
    Kiss - Crazy Nights
    Prince - Controversy
    Queen - The Works
    U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
    IQ - Tales From The Lush Attic
    Genesis - Calling All Stations
    Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
    Yes - Open Your Eyes
    Queensryche - Empire
    Peter Gabriel - Us

Don't get me wrong I like these albums. It's just that if I am in the mood to listen to music by one of these artists, these are usually the last ones I would grab.

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Interesting thread. I usually don't like threads that slam albums or artists, but this doesn't have to be that.

And, yeah, I disagree with a lot of choices here, but I can understand that. For example, I adore Marillion's Radiation. I recently spun it a few times and it gave me a new appreciation for the music. A Few Words For the Dead alone makes it great.

Maybe we could put a little explanation with the lists to clear things up.

Anyway, here's mine:

Rush: Rush (it ain't really Rush w/o Peart to me)

Marillion: Fugazi (least consistant musically with some boring bits and the only Marillion album I don't love)

Iron Maiden: Virtual XI (the only Maiden album that isn't even good. Even No Prayer had a few good songs.)

Genesis: Calling All Stations (I actually really like Duke [​IMG] )

King Crimson: Lizard (weird lineup and horrible synthesised vocal effects.)

Yes: Big Generator (I've learned to deal with 90125 and the pop stuff from Yes, but this album is just... ugh)

AC/DC- Blow Your Video (the band just sounds tired and uninspired)

Opeth- Orchid (first album, didn't solidy their unique sound yet)

Metallica- Load (some great tunes, but too many stinkers compared to the consistent quality of their previous releases)

Dream Theater- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulences
    (Saying which DT album is my least favorite is like saying which Playboy centerfold I wouldn't want to date, because I love them all. The first disc of 6 Degrees just has some bits that don't seem to fit in as well as they can, and The Great Debate annoys me sometimes.)

Spock's Beard- Snow (I could live without the Christian preaching, and I think it could have been musically more effective as a tighter single album.)

Frank Zappa- Just Another Band From LA
    (The Flo & Eddie stuff is by far my least favorite of Zappa's work, especially Billy the Mountain)

The Flower Kings- Flower Power
    (The second disc has some boring bits that sound like they're filling up space, but there are no bad Flower Kings albums.)

And, since everyone is weighing in on Radiohead, I'll go with Amnesiac. Just not as strong as OK Computer or even Kid A.

20. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Genesis - Calling All Stations

Joshua Kadison - Delilah Blue

KISS and Chicago - Any future releases of Greatist Hit's albums

Toto - Mindfields

Van Halen - 3

Paul