What's new

World War Z (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I enjoyed it far more than I expected. Did a double feature with bling ring. My quick review would be fairly positive b+

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I didn't expect to like it at all, so a C+ grade is better than I thought I'd give it. But, it's a pretty capable film. I don't want to see it again...I won't get it on blu ray...but, I had some fun watching it.

I do think the Zombies moved WAY too fast. But, it's really more of a contagion thriller than a zombie movie.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
** (out of 4)

All that money spent and they couldn't come up with a story? It's basically Brad Pitt filling in for James A. Fitzpatrick and doing a TravelTalks episode. The zombies here were some of the laziest looking I've seen in a while and they certainly weren't scary. In between Pitt going into various locations, we also get that scene where he must walk somewhere not knowing if a zombie is about to jump out. These scenes were so poorly directed that there was never a single second where I tensed up or was worried. And since the world was at risk, did anyone actually feel this? Even Romero used his mini-budget to give the viewer the feel that something bad was happened and something that could destroy the world as we know it. Not once did I get that feel watching this thing.

I don't know what was wrong with the original 1/3 of the picture but it must have been awful if this finale was considered better. That final dumb speech reminded me of one Steven Seagal gave years earlier towards the end of the picture.

I don't mind a PG-13 horror/action movie as long as you can build tension. Without the tension you're left with a little kids movie and that's exactly what this felt like. Most of the death scenes take place off camera and I just kept waiting for Bugs Bunny to show up and offer someone a carrot.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I actually thought the zombies were terrifically realized and very scary. The clicking teeth and they way they moved,ran and swarmed over their victims.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mind it and it wasn't half as bad as the movie sites were saying/hoping it would be. I think people who are into zombies will dig this movie but "forgettable" is an applicable description.

I'm kinda bummed that there was basically no gore. I realize that the movie was tremendously expensive and had to be PG-13 and you don't need a bloodbath to make a good movie but you could play this movie with no edits on network television. I mean there's way more gore in an episode of CSI than this. It's a zombie movie, have some blood! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder what an R rated version would have been like. World War Z made an estimated $25 million yesterday on its way to about $65 million this weekend , above projections.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
World War Z made an estimated $25 million yesterday on its way to about $65 million this weekend , above projections.
I can't understand why they expected it to open low. I guess it's because the media was trumpeting its troubled production but even my armchair quarterback ass could tell them that no normal people know or care about that. Zombies are very popular with "the kids today" and Brad Pitt is one of the biggest stars in the world so when you have a movie with Pitt fighting zombies, you're going to get people into theaters on the opening weekend.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TravisR said:
I can't understand why they expected it to open low. I guess it's because the media was trumpeting its troubled production but even my armchair quarterback ass could tell them that no normal people know or care about that. Zombies are very popular with "the kids today" and Brad Pitt is one of the biggest stars in the world so when you have a movie with Pitt fighting zombies, you're going to get people into theaters on the opening weekend.
I agree Travis.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Tino said:
I wonder what an R rated version would have been like. World War Z made an estimated $25 million yesterday on its way to about $65 million this weekend , above projections.
The reasons why expectation was low were tons of reshoot a and a budget that went over $220m. The only film near it with a budget that high is 'The Lone Ranger'.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
The reasons why expectation was low were tons of reshoot a and a budget that went over $220m.
I understand that but most regular audience members don't know or care about the business side of movies (ignorance must truly be bliss). The movie could be the biggest piece of crap of all time but if it's got Brad Pitt fighting zombies, it's still going to have a big opening weekend. The second weekend might be a disaster but the first is golden.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
World War Z could have be way more gory but its restrained approach worked well. Fun popcorn flick with a strong third act.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I actually really liked this one. It was fun, it kept me interested from the start. I actually like how he jumped around from place to place. I do wish they would have shown more of the gore though, but then again that really isn't what this movie is about. I can see them releasinga DVD/BRD that is uncut and shows a little more blood and what have you. Either way I really liked this movie.

I really liked the way "they" moved, climbed and had absolutly no issues with jumping off buildings etc. Loved that!!!

I give it a solid "B".

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From deadlinehollywood:
Hollywood (and just about everybody else) thought Paramount’s opening of 3D World War Z (3,607 theaters), co-financed with Skydance Productions in association with Hemisphere Media Capital and GK Films, would flop. Instead, the zombie epic epidemic based on Max Brooks’ plague novel stunned with a $112M worldwide total. Its $66M domestic cume is the the biggest opening for an original live action film since Avatar, according to Paramount. And its $46M international cume represents 25 markets which is only about 30% of the foreign marketplace. Top performers were Korea with $10.3M, UK with $7.1M, and Australia $5.5M.Placing a much bigger-than-expected #2, pic received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from U.S. audiences which helped word of mouth so it overperformed with $25.0M Friday and $22.6M Saturday. It even grossed a decent $3.6M in 2,600 screens for Thursday 8 PM previews and midnight late shows. That has Paramount’s moguls giddy with relief after all that pre-release bad buzz for producer and star Brad Pitt an his Plan B banner – especially since the studio claims statistics show only one original live action movie a year opens at $50+M. (“Franchises open bigger but originals play to better multiples as people start discovering them,” one exec tells me.) Paramount actually issued a press release to say this weekend’s opening is the biggest of Brad’s career – but I say not when 2005′s Mr And Mrs Smith ($50.3M) debut is adjusted for inflation and the 2D vs 3D ticket price. Pic also benefitted from a spot-on marketing plan savvy enough to book in advance 2 spots promoting Friday’s official debut during Thursday’s big Miami-San Antonio NBA final game. That became the 2nd most watched series end in pro basketball history.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If the budget of this was way over $250 million then I'm not sure why the studios are so happy with $65. I'm going to guess that it drops at least 50% next weekend so it appears it's still going to be a very big money loser (and especially if you go by the logic where Warner said they lost money on Harry Potter).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
No doubt. I'm the type that believes very few movies actually "lose money" but if studios are going to claim that stuff like Harry Potter can't make a profit then the $65 million for this thing and its budget really doesn't seem all that good.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I loved it as well. Like Robert said, not a big-time Zombie fan but this film really worked for me. I think part of why it did was because it dialed way down the gore. Cast was very good. Was intense & I was captivated. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks