What's new

World Cup Soccer - 2014! (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I chose to watch the US-Ghana game in Spanish, and find the broadcasts really entertaining, even if I don't understand what the announcers are saying.

It was definitely a good game to watch. I'm still hopeful that the US can beat one of the other teams (more likely Portugal).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While it was great to see the U.S. pull out that win, they were completely outplayed by Ghana. They will have to play better to beat Portugal, who will be looking for redemption after getting blasted by Germany.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My predictions for today.

Belgium to beat Algeria
Mexico to beat Brazil
Korea to beat Russia

I think the USA is capable of beating Portugal, i'm sure Portugal will play much better but i think the USA will too, for me Portugal flatter to deceive, some great individual players but i'm not convinced they have the team spirit needed for this tournament.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
That was a great comeback by Belgium, but at the same time, a major heartbreaker for Algeria, adding to the list of comebacks in this World Cup. I find myself enjoying it as much (if not more so) than 2010, which had less scoring.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mexico had a few chances and earned a good draw, Brazil dominated most of the game but the Mexican goalkeeper was superb.

Scott Merryfield said:
Now, that is a bold prediction, Malcolm. Kudos to you if you get that one right!

Great goal scored by the Australians against Holland, currently 1-1 but i expect a stronger Holland in the second half.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FoxyMulder said:
Mexico had a few chances and earned a good draw, Brazil dominated most of the game but the Mexican goalkeeper was superb.
Even though your prediction did not come true, I'll still give you half credit, as a draw seemed like a win for Mexico. Brazil was heavily favored. :thumbsup: Yes, the Mexican keeper was incredible -- without that effort Brazil wins easily.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Scott Merryfield said:
Even though your prediction did not come true, I'll still give you half credit, as a draw seemed like a win for Mexico. Brazil was heavily favored. :thumbsup: Yes, the Mexican keeper was incredible -- without that effort Brazil wins easily.
I'm rooting for Chile tonight, i think Spain could be on their way home.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Spain has been eliminated, as this has been a miserable World Cup for them. As if they did not seem to be into it at all.

I was hoping to see Australia pull out an upset over the Netherlands, especially after they took a 2-1 lead. So now, Group B has been set, in terms of who makes it to the knockout stage.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Walter C said:
Spain has been eliminated, as this has been a miserable World Cup for them. As if they did not seem to be into it at all.

I was hoping to see Australia pull out an upset over the Netherlands, especially after they took a 2-1 lead. So now, Group B has been set, in terms of who makes it to the knockout stage.
I think the Spanish have been showing signs over the last few years that their fantastic team was on the decline, they will still beat a lot of teams but they need to get some new players in for the next tournament, i think Chile totally outplayed them today and seemed to want it more, more desire and a better attitude from Chile.

I gotta say it must be very hot there, i'm watching indoors and it feels like i'm inside an oven, even with a fan blowing directly at me, some people love the summer, i really don't, moderate heat is fine, not this, it's too sticky and unpleasant, roll on winter.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Boy, I was sure wrong about Spain coming in with a strong defence of their championship from 2010. Just like Italy in 2010 after their 2006 win. Well worse actually, as Italy actually scored a few goals and weren’t completely manhandled in 2010.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
FoxyMulder said:
I gotta say it must be very hot there, i'm watching indoors and it feels like i'm inside an oven, even with a fan blowing directly at me, some people love the summer, i really don't, moderate heat is fine, not this, it's too sticky and unpleasant, roll on winter.
Yeah, it has been hot here in Philly as well. I don't know how people can stand in the sunlight, and some don't even seem to sweat at all. I am envious of those people, as I tend to sweat very badly.

I hear that it is actually not so bad in Rio, but once going into the interior of Brazil (particularly the cities near the Amazon rainforest), oh boy, it is unbelievably hot. Even the broadcasters were sweating, and they had to wear suits. In fact, I heard some teams practiced in Miami or inside a greenhouse, to try to get the feel of conditions in Brazil.

The studio host just loves to say that they are at Copacabana Beach, while in an air-conditioned studio.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Neil Middlemiss said:
Tell me about it (skulks away in shame)
They could beat Costa Rica with italy beating Uruguay and they could go through on goal difference so it's not over yet.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FoxyMulder said:
They could beat Costa Rica with italy beating Uruguay and they could go through on goal difference so it's not over yet.
Foxy,

Is that so? I heard on the radio on the way home that England had been eliminated. But I think you probably know more about it than those on the program I was listening to today.The game Sunday (USA vs. Portugal) will be a lot of fun to watch. I wish that the USA had a finisher like Uruguay (and a few other teams like the Dutch).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ockeghem said:
Foxy,

Is that so? I heard on the radio on the way home that England had been eliminated. But I think you probably know more about it than those on the program I was listening to today.The game Sunday (USA vs. Portugal) will be a lot of fun to watch. I wish that the USA had a finisher like Uruguay (and a few other teams like the Dutch).
3 points for a win, currently Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica all have three points, so if Italy beat Costa Rica they have 6 and are through, it then goes to the final matches to decide second place in the group, if Italy then beat Uruguay that leaves them on 3 points so England beating Costa Rica by a few goals, not sure how many until we know the Italy vs Uruguay match but it's possible they could come second on goal difference and qualify for the next round.

Of course if Italy qualify after their second game they might rest their best players for the third game and that might allow Uruguay to win, maybe Costa Rica can pull off a shock result and get a draw that would see them qualify, all up in the air at the moment but i would say it's out of England's hands and they are relying on other teams now.

Portugal have disappointed me and i actually fancy USA to beat them.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
FoxyMulder said:
That's true...and the English always live by the Eric Idle motto of having to...

♫Always look on the bright side of life ♫ :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Please, oh please let England make it through to the next round. This is too early of an exit even for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks