What's new

World Cup appreciation thread - games are on NOW! (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Caps is the term for the number of appearances that player has had for his country.

It goes back to the early days of international football, when a player would literally receive a cap for playing for his country.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Actually that "irish announcer" on ESPN2 explained today during the Eng-Arg match. I too enjoy his commentary.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
The "Irish Announcer" is Tommy Smyth and I believe he is the color analyst for the Metrostars of MLS.

AB

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Im at the end of Croatia absolutely UPSETTING Italy. And for some reason this thread no longer shows newest post, otherwise I would have been more talky. (Not that you missed me)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, I thought Italy had that game sewn up...
Of course, the Italians didn't reckon on the English ref! ;) :D

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
This has been a great WC so far. Some great victories, great upsets, and a lot of games that become completely frantic in the second half.

Oh my, Japan should have just scored there!

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
JAPAN BEAT RUSSIA 1-0!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JAPAN'S FIRST EVER WORLD CUP WIN!

That was totally worth staying up all night. The second half was very very nerve-racking, with Russia creating some good chances, but Japan's defense held up pretty nicely. Inamoto's goal was awesome!

Well my voice is shot right now, and I should get some rest to see the United States-Korea match - should be interesting.

I officially have World Cup fever...

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Well Done to Japan. A deserving win.
Now who would have thought a week before the World Cup starting that France, Argentina, and Italy be early exits. This next week will be most revealing as to who stays on for the battle and who goes home in disgrace. I think I've got Footballitis :D

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Japan is looking really strong. Belgium STOLE that tie from them. I cant IMAGINE that Tunisia doesn't get ripped a new one. Nakata and Minamoto look STRONG.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
:)
Over here in T.O. it is funny listening to all the people asking for the English flags and when presented with the St. George's cross, they say they want the red, white and blue one.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
T.O?

1-0 U.S I hope no one thought the Koreans had a chance. I expect this one to end 3-1 or 4-1. The koreans have very little offense and few if any of their players play in Europe.

HUGE HUGE HUGE Save on that penalty kick!

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Poetically, Ahn of S. Korea, who plays for Perugia, scores the tying goal. After sitting on the bench for all of the first half and a good part of the second, Ahn makes a statement with his header. Watching this game was exhausting. Well, at least it's a tie (Korea just screwed themselves out of so many chances).

It'll be an uphill battle for Korea. Portugal is next, and this'll be the rough one. Interestingly, the host country has never failed to make it past the first round. Hope history holds true.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I hope no one thought the Koreans had a chance. I expect this one to end 3-1 or 4-1. The koreans have very little offense and few if any of their players play in Europe.
Larry, were you watching the same game? ;) If you look at the final shot(on goal) for each team, Korea applied much greater pressure (17(8 on goal) for Korea vs. 5(4) for the US).
I'm beginning to see the merits of being the home team. Prior to this world cup, Korea never won a match in 15 tries. Japan, in its only previous Cup in '98, went winless.
Suddenly, they both are at the top of their respective groups with 4 points. Gripping.
The US team has more than made up for their dismal performance in France. A win and a tie is a long way from total shutdown and teamwide whining in '98.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Hats off to to SK. As anyone who understands soccer knew going into the game, SK was going to run the US ragged.

If SK had any sort of finishing, they would have won the game.

The combination of the crowd, and perhaps the most fit team in the world saw SK nearly run its second straight opponent off the part.

Great game by the Condor, Brad Friedel.

Portugal is going to have their hands full and as a US fan I will be pulling for SK in the last game (assuming a draw or a win for Portugal today against Poland and Portugal is already up 1-0).

The US and SK have it all in front of them. If either grabs at least a draw in the last game, they will advance.

Not a very high scoring tournament so far, but wonderful theater all around.

Bravo to SK from a huge US fan.

AB

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
U.S. Kor great game for a novice like me.

What is up with the TV camera on the long shot? Everything was out of focus. The logos and names on the far wall were fuzzy, the players were the same and even the stands were a sea of mauve. It looks like the focus was about 50' in front of the lens and everything past that was a blur. I first noticed it during the Italy - Cro game but thought it may be the blah uniforms. Then I viewed the tape I made of the US Portugal and that game looked great, clear and crisp. The close ups of the players is no problem, bright and sharp, only the long shot.

I get Direct TV off the satellite so I know it is't ghosting from a local station.

Anyway, now with the US success I am into watching way more games than I thought I would.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks