What's new

workingwith what I have in a 11x11 room and need advise (1 Viewer)

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
getting ready to set up a home thearter the room is 11x11 square. so a bit on the small side. I dont know if this makes a differance but the floor in the room is tile too
what I have is
polk audio rt1000i (x2)
polk audio r40 (x2)
a polk center channel is a cs2 (not crazy about it and may want to replace)
a validyne ct100 sub
and sony bravio 46" 3d tv
also going in the room is a ps3, ps2, a wii as well as a dedicated computer
what I need is a new reciver im looking at a denon avr 1913 but budjet is between $500-700 here but open to suggestions.
a new center channel
and advise on weather i should keep my old speakers or plan to upgrade as well.
I also need a thearter curtain that is aprox 10x10 to cover 3 windows on one of the walls so if there is a good sorce please let me know.
and any other ideas that may be cost effective.
Thanks in advance

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's wrong with your center channel?
Why do you want to upgrade your other speakers?
Why the Denon?
We don't just recommend products or upgrade paths based on brand names. You need to explain what is lacking in the equipment you have now. Then we can recommend things that will fill your needs if you provide a budget. And not one of these "I'd like to spend $500 but if I can get by with $300 that is better." things. Pick a number and stick with it.
Curtains are a pain. How do I know? I moved into a newly constructed house and had to cover 20+ windows. Some were 12 feet tall at the top of the arch. Yes, arch. Arched curtain rods ran about $400 each 10 years ago and I had 5 arched windows to cover. I ended up spending $40 at Lowes and making my own because I'm cheap. If you want the easy to hang stuff, Wal-Mart has curtains. So do every one of your hardware stores like Home Depot. My theater room is outfitted with blackout cloth behind the curtains to keep all light out. It's the same material I used to make my projector screen. The actual curtains were custom made. Fabric isn't cheap but if you can sew or you can guilt a family member into doing it for you (my favorite way) then that is the best route.
Other ideas? There are too many to list. Give us more information on what you are doing and your goals and then we can start throwing out ideas.

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
I want to keep all but the center.. mostly the wife says it sounds flat. Looking for options that will go well with the other polks.
I have a 10year old reciver form yamaha that was a not great then and does not aloow me to tie in to my home network.
why the denon. I have had great luck with them in the past. fits my budget. Im not opposed to any other brand that will give me multi hdmi out and tie in to my home network.
and yes I know all about arched windows I have a house full of them. one of the reason for a 10' tall curtin :)
the main goal is a mini thearter in a decated room. complete with mini popcorn machine.
thanks for the reply.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The CS245i and CS400i are the matching centers for the rt1000i's. The 400i is fairly rare but there's one on ebay right now. The 245i is more comon. You could also try a CSi5 or CSi3 from the RTi series. It should be close enough. The newer CSi A4 and A6 should also work but are more expensive.
You can save a lot of money on a receiver by buying last years models or a factory refurb from ac4l.com. Last years Denon 2112 and 2312 are a prety good deal right now. So is the Yamaha 671. I'm not crazy about the new line of Pioneer receivers. Last years 1121 was a great deal at $399 a while back but that price has dried up. Crutchfield.com is a good place to window shop for receivers. Lots of good information/video's. Sometimes they have a little sale of their own. Polk speakers are easy to drive so don't be concerned about the power output of any receiver. It will be enough for such a small room.
Speaker placement and room acoustics also play a part in how speakers sound. Try angling the center speaker towards the listening area. A tile floor is far from ideal. An (large) area rug might help. A new receiver will also have an automatic room correction equilizer which should also help the sound quality.

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
funny you should say that I picked up an 5X8 rug today. after the couch and 2 chairs are in that should fit great.
thanks for the info on other recviers to look at

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
ac4l.com great site. thank you. now Im more confused about my options for what is the best bang for the buck in my price range.
what is the best way to narrow down to the best options fo my needs.
and once again thank oyu for the help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The first thing you need to do is find out exactly what each receiver can actually do. I suggest you download the manuals from a couple you have your eye on and look them over. Just glancing at the first few pages where they list the features and looking at the table of contents can give you a good idea of what they can do. Some also have a sales brochure (pioneer does-http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/AV%20Receivers/VSX-1122-K%20Single%20Sheet3.pdf) that really spells things out for you. You also need to figure out what you want it to do (internet streaming, Apple apps, Bluetooth, multiple zones, etc) and what other equipment you plan on hooking up to it (old vcr, bluray player, computer, etc). Use the "Comparison" feature found on most manufactures and retailers websites to compare a few models side-by-side. Crutchfield is good for this. Most people buy way more receiver than they need. I have. Several times. Plan on doing again sometime soon. But you don't have to. Just avoid the cheapest model in each brands line-up because it may not have the room correction feature. I recently bought the Marantz 5005 from ac4l and it looks good as new. Saved a ton.
Other nice sites are newegg.com (Pioneer 1122 for $499), vanns.com onecall.com jr.com tigerdirect.com and for cables, wires and parts, monoprice.com bluejeancables.com and partsexpress.com.
That should keep you busy for awhile.

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
DENON-AVR-991-7.2ch
Marantz SR5006
DENON AVR-2312CI
DENON AVR-3310CI
DENON AVR-2112CI 7.1
denon avr 1913
anyone have any input on these units?
and once again tahnk you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Those are all very comparable units. Denon bought Marantz a few years ago and there's little difference between the two anymore. The 5006 would be close to the 2312. The 991 is close to the 3311 so it's probably the best receiver on that list. But you're comparing Buick's and Oldsmobile's to one another. Hard to choose one over the other without knowing alot more about your particular needs.

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
hmmm, needs.
I need to hook up hdmi cables (3 games, one computer, one cable box, home thearter pc)
Need to have one either s-vide or componet set
only going to need 5.1 for now but who knows about furture growth.
I dont need a second zone.
The ability to get internet radio and air play is a big plus
3d is a must.
the easer to set up the better for me.
also the bd player will be part of the htpc,dvd player as well as a nas drive for streaming
I do have a second 70 watt yamaha sub sitting around and have no objections to going to 7.2
and Gene once again thank you for helping me narrow it down, and yes my confusion starts becasue comparing Buick's and Oldsmobile's you are right.
but I have spent my life as a Ford guy working for a dealer as a tech :D hence PSD is the acronim for Power Stroke Diesel.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the 2112 or 2312 would be the best choices. It looks like they both have everything you need (but please double-check) and some of the other models are missing things. The 3310 is 2-3 years old and may be missing AirPlay, as is the 991. The Marantz 5006 is a nice receiver but very similar to the 2312 but with a few less features? and the newer 1913 doesn't have the connections on the back like the 2312/2112. Things like s-video and analog inputs are quickly disappearing from receivers these days. Ac4l.com has both the 2112 ($369) and 2312 ($479)as factory refurbished models. Pioneer is at the fore-front of internet and Apple applications but I'd still go with either of the 2 Denons I've mentioned. Solid receivers without getting things you really don't need.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2312CI/DENON-AVR-2312CI-7.2-Integrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2112CI/DENON-AVR-2112CI-7.1-Integrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html
A couple of things I should have mentioned. You need HDMI vs 1.4 for 3D which erases the 3310 from your list and one subwoofer output is as good as two. The dual sub outputs on newer receivers send the same signal out of both outputs. With a single output you just need a Y adaptor or a jumper cable to daisey-chain to subs together. But using two subs usually isn't as good of an idea as you might think. One better sub is beats two lesser subs everytime.

psdguy

Auditioning
Real Name
moe
looks like im ordering a 3312ci
once again thank you for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks