Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4e3e3b83-271c-44a2-ac1c-f0698d6e284f.jpg
Fila Men's Performance Polos, 9 Colors $12.99
$48.00 73% off List Price

CLICK HERE

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Please be very careful and perform some real research on Onkyo products before buying.

I purchased an Onkyo HTIB system from Woot via the forum some time ago. Will admit I didn't perform
the "due diligence" that I should have.

Receiver has been into repair 3 times since I have owned it and has never been fixed properly.

Have finally given up and gone back to the receiver it was supposed to replace.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Colin,

Sorry to hear that. Wow. Thanks for the advisory.

I switched from Denon to Onkyo a few years back. Had the
receiver for a day and it blew something within its innards.

Fortunately I was within the store's 14 day return window.

So, I can kind of relate to your opinions on Onkyo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know just as many with..."My Denon blew chunks"...Which HTiB was this? Onkyo has only made one "HTiB".And that was before Blu Ray.(Onkyo DR were not sold with speakers. So they are not HTiB. Only one was sold with speakers. DRC500)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
This is what I ordered from them and I guess technically it wasn't a HTiB but I used that term somewhat loosely to describe the system.

Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1-Channel 3D Ready Network Home Theater System (New) from Woot. Receiver, speakers and sub.

On mine it was initially the HDMI board or so I was told, sent it back to the east coast and 3 months later got it back. Seemed like it
was fixed but then it developed a hum in the speakers. Spent a month and a bunch of money switching out speaker wire, HDMI cables,
wall sockets etc. to no avail. Even took it over to my daughters house who lives 10 miles away and plugged it in there to make sure it
wasn't the house wiring and still the hum.

Took it back in to two local repair shops, 3 months for one and 2 months for the other. Both replaced the HDMI board again and still the hum.

So there is my sad tale of woe...someday I hope to get a 3D display and will then need to start the search again for a receiver which was the plan
this time. Get the receiver and speakers then a few months later the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks